Diving time based on HP

bruddog

This hack changes the dive animation time based on the players HP. The normal dive animation time is 7 frames. This will subtract a frame for every HP notch above 50 up to a minimum of 2 frame. And increase the dive animation time to a maximum of 14 for a 6 HP player. This might use the same space as various other hacks so move the location or bank switch and change the code if needed. 

LDY #$1C

LDA ($AE),Y                           // get player HP

LSR                                        // divide by 2

LSR                                        // divide by 2

AND #$0F                              // make sure its 0-15 value

CLC                                       // CLC just in case

CMP #$0C                             // check is HP is >=81            

BCS  SET to TWO                  // if HP >= 81 set dive animation to TWO

EOR #$FF

ADC #$0F                               // convert to negative number and add 1+ 14 to get dive animation time. 50HP= normal 7

JSR  $DACB

RTS

SET TO TWO    

LDA #$02 

JSR  $DACB

RTS

SET 0x2AAA8 20EOBFEAEA

SET 0x2BFF0 A01CB1AE4A4A290F18C90BB00849FF690F20CBDA60A90220CBDA60

Man, this is SWEET!  I didn't even think about this as a way to make HP more relevant, but it makes perfect sense (especially with the way I rate players where their Madden tackling rating = HP for all defensive players, except DL).

So, if I wanted to make the quickest possible dive = 02, and the slowest possible dive = 12, what would I need to change?

What to do if want to use QUICKNESS for this instead of HP?

Also, need tutorial on this: quote"This might use the same space as various other hacks so move the location or bank switch and change the code if needed. "

Edited by buck

Wanting to use quickness changes and lengthens the code quite a bit since it isn't stored in the player ram area. But it can be done.

Jstout and cxrom have posted examples of how to bank switch but i can post it again here at some point. It would also require changing the hack since the bank switch itself takes up a decent amount of code.

Wanting to use quickness changes and lengthens the code quite a bit since it isn't stored in the player ram area. But it can be done.

Jstout and cxrom have posted examples of how to bank switch but i can post it again here at some point. It would also require changing the hack since the bank switch itself takes up a decent amount of code.

thanks.  makes more sense to me to use Quickness instead of HP.  cool idea either way.  nice job.

I wanted to avoid RS so that great corners that sucked or or avg at tackling wouldn't be great at dive tackling with this hack. I agree HP is not quite right but there are only so many attributes.

RP then? Great corners get high RS but low RP?

I personally think that HP is the perfect attribute -- should to be related to how well you can tackle.  The only issue I have though, is if you use bruddog's other HP hacks, then you're basically confined to using LB's all the time because you'll probably never be able to make a tackle with a DB unless the RB is exceptionally weak.  After testing this today, I think the spread should be a little tighter -- from 09 to 03.  When chasing down a RB from behind a DB's dive never works.  And then maybe factor in a little less HP in the grapple hacks to allow for more randomness.  For instance:

09=19 HP or below

08=25-31 HP

07=38-44 HP

06=50-56 HP

05=63-69 HP

04=75-81 HP

03=88 HP or above

• 1 year later...

This might use the same space as various other hacks so move the location or bank switch and change the code if needed. 

This is a great hack.

I'm trying to move the 2nd string to 0x2CF2E (just a bunch of FF's there).

I thought I did that by changing the 1st line to 0x201ECFEAEA ("switch the bytes, then -10..."), but that just caused a crash... on the ROM I'm using, and on the OG ROM as well. Not sure why, though. That method has worked for me before. What am I doing wrong now?