TecmoBowl.org Presents: Tecmo Super Bowl 2014

DFM

Have the interceptions been turned up in man vs com games?

I'm not complaining, but an observation. Week 1 dolphins vs browns, weeden threw 7 INTs. My defenders didn't drop one. Rashad jones had five himself. Personally, I like it. It's just an observation. Scored seventy something to 0 because they couldn't get passed the fifty without throwing an INt. this was done on my PSP, which is much harder. I would imagine scoring 100 points could become common.

Just curious, not trying to get geeky but was something tweaked?

To those that are complaining about the ratings.....play the game. Everyone is a little conservative. Those that I thought were rated too low can still have breakout games.

Edited by philleyOphish

I am not sure if this only happened to me, but on the offensive side for New England, Tom Brady is placed at every position (including special teams). Their team roster is correct, but the depth chart does not allow for the majority of offensive players to be placed in the game. Thanks!

Its cool to see how far ROM editing has come.  Impressive!

One critical comment: SIM seems unrealistic, at least in the one season I've been playing so far.  Blaine Gabbert leads the leagues in yards and is at the top in tds, so far through 8 games.  Sam Bradford is also at the top of just about every statistic, and WR Austin from St. Louis has stats that would make Jerry Rice blush.  Did you guys feel the SIMs were accurate when you tested the game?  Do we know how to edit the SIM part of the game to make realistic stats?

Its cool to see how far ROM editing has come.  Impressive!

One critical comment: SIM seems unrealistic, at least in the one season I've been playing so far.  Blaine Gabbert leads the leagues in yards and is at the top in tds, so far through 8 games.  Sam Bradford is also at the top of just about every statistic, and WR Austin from St. Louis has stats that would make Jerry Rice blush.  Did you guys feel the SIMs were accurate when you tested the game?  Do we know how to edit the SIM part of the game to make realistic stats?

We probably didn't put enough time into tweeking that.  

We're currently discussing that so expect a tweaked release in the future.  

Obviously there will always be random guys that end up at the top so the stats you are seeing very well could be one of those weird season things that you see from time to time.

How does the ratings process work?

This is not a criticism - but a question.

I think it was in the beta thread that it was mentioned that the assigned ratings weren't done in a player v. player vacuum but instead used to balance out the teams, while keeping the ratings as close to "real" as possible. I think I'm paraphrasing here,  but if I've butchered the concept, please correct me. 

Either way, I'm curious how much time goes into this? Do you go into it with a tiered system in mind (for both players and teams)?

Would it be asking to see behind  the curtain to want to see / hear about that?

How does the ratings process work?

This is not a criticism - but a question.

I think it was in the beta thread that it was mentioned that the assigned ratings weren't done in a player v. player vacuum but instead used to balance out the teams, while keeping the ratings as close to "real" as possible. I think I'm paraphrasing here,  but if I've butchered the concept, please correct me. 

Either way, I'm curious how much time goes into this? Do you go into it with a tiered system in mind (for both players and teams)?

Would it be asking to see behind  the curtain to want to see / hear about that?

this is a good look behind the curtain, at least for the way I initialized the process (some passages are not for the feeble minded or faint of heart).  but it was a team effort as well.

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/56651-buck-vs-chekreyes-the-ratings-showdown/

but the decisions were based on stats, team records, team stats, playoffs, legendary status, at times personal idiosyncratic preference, there are formulas to get SIM values and stuff, (and I just came up with a new/better way to generate balanced SIM data - hopefully we'll use it on the next update - I WILL take the blame for some of the sim stuff being off.)

someone mentioned Shonn Greene, a 1k rusher last season. well I admit that he got shafted pretty good, but look here - now he's a backup to CJ2K on the Titans.  The way I see it, he's no longer Shonn Greene of Jets "fame", he's just another crappy backup to a Real RB on a mediocre team.  So, there're times when (I think that) you gotta look at the big picture and throw out last years' stats.

after that, it went through a few peoples eyes for about a month, looking for feedback. I can't take all the blame/glory for all the ratings, because some big name dudes around here had plenty of time to give their two cents.

most of you guys have given GREAT feedback that I agree with, and I appreciate it and take no offense.  I just don't like it when people take offense to how we rated their favorite player or team...

Edited by buck

someone mentioned Shonn Greene, a 1k rusher last season. well I admit that he got shafted pretty good, but look here - now he's a backup to CJ2K on the Titans.  The way I see it, he's no longer Shonn Greene of Jets "fame", he's just another crappy backup to a Real RB on a mediocre team.  So, there're times when (I think that) you gotta look at the big picture and throw out last years' stats.

While he did have 1k yards last year, he had it because of having the lionshare of rushes because of the lack of talent on the team and it required 260+ carries to get there.

He didn't get shafted.

Basically it's taking last year's stats, projecting them to this year while maintaining a balance of those players in the overall strength of a team given the limitations of ratings in Tecmo Super Bowl.

If we wanted to get this "right" we'd release after the season roms...and they would still be "wrong".

after that, it went through a few peoples eyes for about a month, looking for feedback. I can't take all the blame/glory for all the ratings, because some big name dudes around here had plenty of time to give their two cents.

We didn't get this out as a beta soon enough and I'll definitely take the blame for that.  

We always have something we learn after each release and try to do better next time...this is one of those things.

Odd, what happens when you reset the season?

no season. this is straight from the main menu -> team data -> every team says bad physical condition. also, the starting qb is the atop the depth chart for every position on the offense on every team. i am playing this via NES A.D.X+ on iPad

Has anyone noticed injuries are happening more often?

I've played 2 games as the 49ers and seen 7 injuries. 6 of them during a kickoff. I was just curious if this was random or if the NFL "hit" rules had made it into tecmo 2014.

There has been nothing implemented to purposely increase injuries.  Probably just one of those deals.

On a semi-related note that has nothing to do with the game, the 49ers were successful last season because they were able to avoid the injury bug.

I just became a member to say thanks for all the hard work!  I realize no game will ever be perfect and to nitpick it to death defeats the purpose of just having fun with it!  I don't look at the ratings...I just have fun!  The problem I see with people offering suggestions is that they just go into why it is wrong and don't offer any thanks!  It's not like they paid money for it.  

Again...thanks for taking the time to do this each year...it is greatly appreciated!!!

Question:  is it possible to disconnect the color of the pants from the color of the helmet?  I'm sure you all have thought of that, but it would give for way more realistic jersey options.

Unfortunately, no.  This would be my #1 wish for Tecmo - to have uniforms with 3 color options.

Someone once created a patch that made helmets & jerseys the same color and pants were separate, which would be good for teams like Pittsburgh and KC.  I forget who it was, but it was back in 2008/2009-ish.

( I could be totally wrong about this last thing, but... )

I think there is a way to have helmets/jerseys/pants all be a separate color, but the players would all have to be the same skin color.  To me, a black Aaron Rodgers or a white Adrian Peterson would just look funny.  The fact that Kaepernick isn't all tatted up kinda bugs me :cool:

(Again, that fact could be totally off, but definitely worth exploring )