No-huddle Offense

qb_browns

Here is the beginnings of a no huddle hack.This rom just picks a random play for the offense and defense and skips the play call screen entirely for every play. You MUST go for it on 4th down. LOL 

I played two games at high speed vs com and no apparent crashes. How would people like to see it work? Have the offense only be able to call a run or pass and have it randomized? Offense can call any play? Have the defenses play call get randomized? Do they get a randomized pass if the offense calls pass. Have the defense be able to call any play if they do it the same time as offense? 

32team_noplayscreen.nes

I think it's something to consider (especially for roms with slot-based defenses) that the offense would get to pick its own play after 'activating' a no-huddle loop, but that the defense would be stuck in its original call.  This is unfairly weighted towards the offense, but that's what the no-huddle and hurry-ups do is keep the defense in a dis-advantageous position for an extended period of time (keeping them vanilla).  The only way to really do that in Tecmo is keeping the defense in its original play.

Great Job.  Actually a lot of fun with the random plays.  No Huddle is effective beacuse it keeps the defense on the field.  cuts in the time when they can call plays and doens't allow many substitutions.  You could wear down a defense with the no huddle.  None of those factors really matter in TSB.  It seems like it wouldn't really be any of an advantage for the offense to use it, no?

I like the random picking though.

If you are to implament it, maybe if you pick START and B it will do a random no huddle plass and START and A and it will do a random no huddle run.

I went with my second idea as it seems like a better and easier user experience. Let me know what you guys think. This hack gives the defense ~ 1 second to pick a play after the offense has called their play. If they have not called a play they are "caught off gaurd" and get a random one. 

The time is adjustable at 0x32E25. I set it to x40. For less than a second reduce the time. For more than a second increase it.   

What do you think is a good time period?

32team_nohuddle2.nes

• 2 weeks later...

I went with my second idea as it seems like a better and easier user experience. Let me know what you guys think. This hack gives the defense ~ 1 second to pick a play after the offense has called their play. If they have not called a play they are "caught off gaurd" and get a random one. 

The time is adjustable at 0x32E25. I set it to x40. For less than a second reduce the time. For more than a second increase it.   

What do you think is a good time period?

attachicon.gif32team_nohuddle2.nes

This sounds more like a true no-huddle. The offense calls it fast and the defense can't get their call/substitutions in so it is at a disadvantage.

But instead of random, combine that with quince 3800's idea above of the defense stuck in its previous call. That should also prevent the chance of the defense randomly calling the same play.