Waterloo, IA - 12/14/13 - Tomczak Bowl VI

Beef Juice

Any hotels walking distance from the bar?

We stayed at a Days Inn or something last year that was just down the street.  It wasn't horrible...it's all a little hazy though.  Probably too far to walk if I remember correctly, the McDonald's girl might keep your change even if you don't tell her too though.  FYI

Edited by moulds33

Probably too far to walk if I remember correctly, the McDonald's girl might keep your change even if you don't tell her too though.  FYI

wtf? is Waterloo a rough place or what?  I never would have figured.

as long as i dont tier 4 (ouch) all day  im planin on takin this here throphy home to costa this year...watch out for my punt punt JJ attack formation.

the brothers will roll deep and tap hard...kinda like walk hard but for game geeks.

--gridiron

Not sure, I was just talking about the cold.  It was snowing when we left last time and the roads were kind of shitty until we got south of Ames.

that is the main thing I am worried about as this is in December in the midwest.  Black Ice and 12" of Snow.

We've had snow on the ground before but never have we had a major storm hit the day of that really hindered travel.  It's a tossup really on what it'll be like.  The first year we did it I remember it hit 60 degrees, which was pretty crazy.

As far as hotels I put together a map for everyone.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8F59_pnPNlockFHaUJXejNYRUk/edit?usp=sharing

The hotels shown on the map are ones I would suggest.  I tried to give plenty of options.  All of the listed hotels have 60% or higher positive ratings on TripAdvisor. The Days and the Clarion in Cedar Falls are probably the best bet for closest drive to the bar.  In fact any of the CF hotels are a better drive than the ones listed in Waterloo.

I attached the map here too in case the link doesn't work right for anyone.

tbhotels.pdf

Edited by Beef Juice

Well I suppose I can post this for folks to check out.

http://challonge.com/tomczak6

Obviously this will continue to change as people register but here is the current bracket and how folks are seeded.  I've decided to award the top 4 seeds to last year's top 4 finishers (right now only 3 of them are registered).  The rest of the competitors are seeded via a top secret highly complex formula I devised.

Well I suppose I can post this for folks to check out.

http://challonge.com/tomczak6

Obviously this will continue to change as people register but here is the current bracket and how folks are seeded.  I've decided to award the top 4 seeds to last year's top 4 finishers (right now only 3 of them are registered).  The rest of the competitors are seeded via a top secret highly complex formula I devised.

Isnt there going to be pool play to decide the tournament seeds?  

Isnt there going to be pool play to decide the tournament seeds?  

No, this will just be a straight up 64 man double elimination bracket.  Last year we did pool play which worked ok but given the number of TVs we had the groups played in two shifts which created a massive amount of down time for players.  When calculating the total number of games played I found there isn't much difference between doing pool play and just double elimination.  With DE we can keep things moving all the time, eliminate downtime, and have games always going on most TVs.  It also allows me to avoid having to spend 30-40 minutes hurriedly crunching numbers and figuring out a bracket after pool play ends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, we were able to for sure confirm everything for that date at Spicoli's Bar (we figured they would have no problem) and we're trying to convince them to have karaoke that night in lieu of a live band.  So that could be horrifically awesome.

51 people signed up now.  I just posted something on Spicoli's Facebook so I expect a handful of locals to register soon.  Spots are getting thin so if you're still debating on coming sign up soon.