Best Possible Set Up for Flat Screen TVs

Eric

I just bought my first flat screen - a 60 inch Vizio.  I was really disappointed when I hooked up my SNES (I play TSBIII) because of the lag.

I was able to reduce the lag greatly, but there's still probably a 1/10 of a second lag - enough that it causes problems with TSB.  I biffed three punts, missed hitting the seam up the middle every time when pressuring the qb, and various other follies.

Of course switching it to Game Mode in Settings was the biggest help in reducing lag, but I also turned off Smooth Motion Effect in Advanced Picture Settings after seeing someone on YouTube that claimed it helps.  That took it from a major lag to a slight one.

Not only am I having that slight lag, but I can't figure out what are the best settings to make it looks decent in terms of clarity, pixelation, colors, etc.

Any advice on any of this is appreciated.

Check out displaylag.com

You are correct that you have to shut off anything that does image processing, but once you do that it's about as good as it is gonna get.

You might try hooking a computer up by hdmi instead and just play the emulator.  It won't be like console/crt, but could be better than what you're getting from console/vizio.

I just bought my first flat screen - a 60 inch Vizio.  I was really disappointed when I hooked up my SNES (I play TSBIII) because of the lag.

I was able to reduce the lag greatly, but there's still probably a 1/10 of a second lag - enough that it causes problems with TSB.  I biffed three punts, missed hitting the seam up the middle every time when pressuring the qb, and various other follies.

Of course switching it to Game Mode in Settings was the biggest help in reducing lag, but I also turned off Smooth Motion Effect in Advanced Picture Settings after seeing someone on YouTube that claimed it helps.  That took it from a major lag to a slight one.

Not only am I having that slight lag, but I can't figure out what are the best settings to make it looks decent in terms of clarity, pixelation, colors, etc.

Any advice on any of this is appr

Does your VIZIO have svideo input??You got the original SNES right,not the redesign.The original SNES will output svideo.Plus the svideo cable works with n64 and gamecube.

Hmm... hadn't thought of that.  My SNES actually is the redesign.  So maybe what I can do is try my N64 or GC with an S-Video cord to see if those also suffer from lag.  If not, then maybe I'm in the market for an original style SNES...

Any advice on any of this is appreciated.

There's your problem right there.........you hooked up Tecmo Superbowl lll.  That game sucks..........plus, you posted this in the wrong forum.  There's a TSB lll forum for the new booty's...post this there.

s video

DSCI0096_zps4a077bb7.jpg

composite

DSCI0095_zps812665f2.jpg

Now this is just me taking a pic of my tv screen so hopefully it shows the difference

The display quality doesn't matter....it's a matter of if the screen is lagging.

More than likely S-Video lags the exact same amount as Coax

There's your problem right there.........you hooked up Tecmo Superbowl lll.  That game sucks..........plus, you posted this in the wrong forum.  There's a TSB lll forum for the new booty's...post this there.

This thread isn't about TSBIII.  It's about hooking up old school systems like NES and SNES to flat screen tvs.  In other words, it applies to just about every Tecmo game released.  Maybe if you quit being a thread Nazi and pulled your head out of your ass to read the OP you would have understood this the first time.  I've also been a member of this board for about ten years longer than you have (assuming you didn't have a name change).

The display quality doesn't matter....it's a matter of if the screen is lagging.

More than likely S-Video lags the exact same amount as Coax

Actually, my OP did also ask for any help with video adjustments, so I appreciate the suggestion from meat as it obviously improved the clarity for him.  Any more suggestions welcome.  I'm sure Tailback King has a suggestion or two for me now.

There's your problem right there.........you hooked up Tecmo Superbowl lll.  That game sucks.........

Dude... hahahaha!

I want you to call a game or two with me at TecmoX. I hope you accept.

On topic - Meat's suggestion should work. I use the s-video output on my SNES with minimal lag, if any. I also do not play alot of TSB3, but TSB1 and Zelda get alot of time on my SNES.

Dude... hahahaha!

I want you to call a game or two with me at TecmoX. I hope you accept.

On topic - Meat's suggestion should work. I use the s-video output on my SNES with minimal lag, if any. I also do not play alot of TSB3, but TSB1 and Zelda get alot of time on my SNES.

Off topic, is that fool actually showing up at TecmoX?

On topic, S-video, analog, highly dependent on specific TV, monitor, and/or settings.

• 5 years later...