Best positions to have elite players?

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

My lean for quite some time has always been running back.  Ultimately, an elite RB makes an offense go.  It pretty much doesn't matter after that how good or bad the pass plays are, as an elite RB will force the defense to call a lot of run.  Put Bo Jackson into the crappy Redskins playbook with the WR run play, and defenses will struggle to stop Bo should they call a lot of pass.  

With that said, the 1990 Japan version of the Giants have changed my thinking a bit as to what may be more important.  That position being the bottom outside LB.  This version of NY, no longer has the speedy Bavaro at TE.  Leonard Marshall and Carl Banks are both pretty slow footed defenders compared to their 1989 USA counterparts.  This team really only has Lawrence Taylor, and punter Sean Landeta.  Its a down right moribund squad, except for those 2 superstars.  Keep in mind with our rules of only the LB position player being allowed to attempt to block field goals, this makes that bottom outside LB (Taylor) extremely valuable.

The Japan Giants have proved they still belong in the elite Tier, if only for the abilities of 2 players.  

With that said, combo up a crappy punter with LT and things may be different, as Landeta's deep punts always give the Giants D a lot of room to work with.

LT feasts on opponents needing to always drive 80 yards for a TD.  Many other defenders don't have that luxury.

QB is pretty much a no brainer as having a great impact.  Marino has a pretty lackluster playbook outside the shotgun play and he can do some serious damage with quick throws.  Montana has a great playbook and can shred even the mighty Giants and Bears defenses on a good day.

Wr not so much, as often you can devise schemes based on stopping a certain WR or route.  That's obviously drawing attention, but ultimately not making an impact like the others.  negative for the defense, but not necessarily a positive for the offense.

Punter is huge.  The problem with punter is that Landeta is elite but the Rohn Starks, and Reggie Robys of the world are very close in ability, so the impact as really only felt on a large scale against teams with very weak punters...but with that said, neither team can really get pinned deep and get hurt by it.  

My list goes as follows

1a.  Field goal blocking Bottom Outside LB (Lawrence Taylor caliber of course)  If your opponent can't score, they can't beat you.  Put LT on the worst teams in Tecmo Bowl, and they automatically become very challenging to beat.

1b.  Elite RB.  Why do we rank Indy so high?  Dickerson plays a huge role and he rarely even gets the ball.  He gets the defenses full attention.  Put Dickerson or Bo, or Payton on any horribly weak team and they will definitely see offensive success at times.  They might still not be able to stop anyone, but they will make things more interesting.  

2.  Punter.  Field position is so key.  there have been many games where I merely bide my time with a great punter, and sit back in extreme conservative mode and play the field position game, waiting for the opponent to make a mistake. You really can;t do that with a poor punter.  

3.  QB.  Could be higher, but a lot of weight is put on a QBs shoulders.  With a suspect playbook a great QB can make pinpoint throws, but 1 mis cycle or great defensive player bait tactic and its an INT in a bad part of the field.     

O-line really matters little.  Helps spring the kick returners, so it definitely creates separation between Gentry and McNeil.  A good o-line will pancake some defenders on pass plays, and lets the QB sit in the pocket longer stretching out the defense.  For the most part a really good )line only has an effect on maybe a play or 2.  

D-line would probably be more under the classification of just top DE.  That's a favorite position for us.  To me, top middle LB in a 3-4 is more important to have.  That's the position that presses the QB the most on tight window throws.  

My lean for quite some time has always been running back.  Ultimately, an elite RB makes an offense go.  It pretty much doesn't matter after that how good or bad the pass plays are, as an elite RB will force the defense to call a lot of run.  Put Bo Jackson into the crappy Redskins playbook with the WR run play, and defenses will struggle to stop Bo should they call a lot of pass.  

With that said, the 1990 Japan version of the Giants have changed my thinking a bit as to what may be more important.  That position being the bottom outside LB.  This version of NY, no longer has the speedy Bavaro at TE.  Leonard Marshall and Carl Banks are both pretty slow footed defenders compared to their 1989 USA counterparts.  This team really only has Lawrence Taylor, and punter Sean Landeta.  Its a down right moribund squad, except for those 2 superstars.  Keep in mind with our rules of only the LB position player being allowed to attempt to block field goals, this makes that bottom outside LB (Taylor) extremely valuable.

The Japan Giants have proved they still belong in the elite Tier, if only for the abilities of 2 players.  

With that said, combo up a crappy punter with LT and things may be different, as Landeta's deep punts always give the Giants D a lot of room to work with.

LT feasts on opponents needing to always drive 80 yards for a TD.  Many other defenders don't have that luxury.

QB is pretty much a no brainer as having a great impact.  Marino has a pretty lackluster playbook outside the shotgun play and he can do some serious damage with quick throws.  Montana has a great playbook and can shred even the mighty Giants and Bears defenses on a good day.

Wr not so much, as often you can devise schemes based on stopping a certain WR or route.  That's obviously drawing attention, but ultimately not making an impact like the others.  negative for the defense, but not necessarily a positive for the offense.

Punter is huge.  The problem with punter is that Landeta is elite but the Rohn Starks, and Reggie Robys of the world are very close in ability, so the impact as really only felt on a large scale against teams with very weak punters...but with that said, neither team can really get pinned deep and get hurt by it.  

My list goes as follows

1a.  Field goal blocking Bottom Outside LB (Lawrence Taylor caliber of course)  If your opponent can't score, they can't beat you.  Put LT on the worst teams in Tecmo Bowl, and they automatically become very challenging to beat.

1b.  Elite RB.  Why do we rank Indy so high?  Dickerson plays a huge role and he rarely even gets the ball.  He gets the defenses full attention.  Put Dickerson or Bo, or Payton on any horribly weak team and they will definitely see offensive success at times.  They might still not be able to stop anyone, but they will make things more interesting.  

2.  Punter.  Field position is so key.  there have been many games where I merely bide my time with a great punter, and sit back in extreme conservative mode and play the field position game, waiting for the opponent to make a mistake. You really can;t do that with a poor punter.  

3.  QB.  Could be higher, but a lot of weight is put on a QBs shoulders.  With a suspect playbook a great QB can make pinpoint throws, but 1 mis cycle or great defensive player bait tactic and its an INT in a bad part of the field.     

Agreed.  But you alwayz seem to forget about O.J. Anderson on the Japan version.  He's GOOD.

Agreed.  But you alwayz seem to forget about O.J. Anderson on the Japan version.  He's GOOD.

Outside of OJ being more powerful than Morris, which does not translate to 2-player mode, they are basically the same exact player.

OJ is average.  Jo Mo is average.

It's LT, Landeta and a bunch of nobodies.

Outside of OJ being more powerful than Morris, which does not translate to 2-player mode, they are basically the same exact player.

OJ is average.  Jo Mo is average.

It's LT, Landeta and a bunch of nobodies.

Your sayin' you can't out tap player 2 in this game???  Come to think of it...does it even work that way???

Your sayin' you can't out tap player 2 in this game???  Come to think of it...does it even work that way???

Tecmo Bowl ultimately shines in 2 player mode.  Perhaps you should try it sometime...

No, you can not popcorn a human opponent if he is tapping at roughly the same speed.

Haven't tried a turbo controller.  Don't care to find out.

Tecmo Bowl ultimately shines in 2 player mode.  Perhaps you should try it sometime...

No, you can not popcorn a human opponent if he is tapping at roughly the same speed.

Haven't tried a turbo controller.  Don't care to find out.

I seem to remember being able to popcorn some live opponents with Walker........What if you can totally outtap someone???  That's my main Q.............................With Eric, I just wait for Ray Donaldson to dulldoze outta his 3 point stance and when he's close enough to me, I run into my MAN opponent, and more times than not, Ray will T-roll the person I'm grappleing with............then it's off to the races!!!

(p.s.   I try to play Tecmobowl 1 as often as I can against other people, but lately, I'v been training for these NW Tourneys.......but if there was a Tecmo 1 Tourney around my area, I'd definitley be there.....I like that game as much as the second one.  Where I have Johnny in that one, I got Eric in his prime in this one......................I like both equally.

Yes it is possible to out tap and break a human player tackle. However, it's very rare. I've only ever seen it done with Mack, Bo and walker. The human defender has to not be tapping or very slowly tapping for it to work. And the RB has to be tapping like a maniac. Basically if the human defender just taps several times his tackle cant be broken.

• 1 month later...

You really rank punters that high?  Assuming I have a decent return or just make a first down I'm often trying to pin the opponent by the 5 and not get a touchback.  I agree with what you said about RB's and BOL's, but I'd rank most elite defensive players over kickers.  Ronnie Lott makes a rather pedestrian Niners defense formidable. Elite defensive players are the fastest players on the field which creates turnovers.

Also, an elite O-line is still right near the bottom but if you play with QB sneaks a great O-line like the Bears can give you five yards rushing with ease.

You really rank punters that high?  Assuming I have a decent return or just make a first down I'm often trying to pin the opponent by the 5 and not get a touchback.  I agree with what you said about RB's and BOL's, but I'd rank most elite defensive players over kickers.  Ronnie Lott makes a rather pedestrian Niners defense formidable. Elite defensive players are the fastest players on the field which creates turnovers.

Also, an elite O-line is still right near the bottom but if you play with QB sneaks a great O-line like the Bears can give you five yards rushing with ease.

Yeah, punters are paramount.  With what I know about defensive coverages, before the snap when I'm on offense, I can usually identify which WRs are going to be open immediately.  It's based on knowing what coverages will occur if the defense calls "play X" or "play Y".  With that knowledge, then taking at look at which defender the opponent has chosen, I can get an idea of where a quick hitter window will be.    That pre-snap read does a lot to negate the speed of a lot of the defenders.  Being able to QB at a high level and wait for routes to develop and spread the field out, also negates a fast defender.  With patience in the pocket, playbooks like Indy, CLE, CHI, etc create situations where a defender can't cover near enough ground to have a chance against 3 WRs at varied depths.  That further negates fast defenders.  L.T. or Ronnie Lott or Mike Singletary for instance can't defend/intercept Indy's pass 2 when all receivers get to the final route depth.  Once the defender commits to one receiver the rest of the field is open, even with Trudeau's weak arm.     

I can throw some INTs like the next guy(and do on occasion), but my guys and I aren't haphazardly just throwing it around which is where the speed of a defender can take over and make some picks.

Bottom line is that there is no negating the impact an elite punter has on the game. 

Every competition or season we play, I always perform near the top in defense with the Colts...who have no elite stars on defense  It's due in large part to Indy having strength in all the intangible facets.  Great playbook to eat up clock, great punter to always play with great field position, and pretty solid BOLB(who can block FG's from 30 yards out).  Outside of Bickett, Indy really has no one.  You really have to cobble together a defensive game-plan with slow guys.  Stark gives them damn near maximum room to work with to pull it off.   

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Seattle and Denver have elite middle LBs with Fredd Young and Karl Mecklenberg.  Guys who can be schemed to shut down most any run game, and great in pass coverage with their speed.  Pretty much total package defenders from the middle of the field.  Also rare guys that can really shut down marino.  The weak punting game for both those teams makes them only middle of the pack, and typically in agame long struggle with even the weakest teams.  Denver has elite QB, and solid RB, and a decent top DE as well.  Broncos overall are pretty talented, but punting is a glaring weakness.

Seattle has Largent who can be schemed against.  Mediocre QB/RB, so they have a little less, and the same dreaded punting ability as Denver.  

• 2 months later...

Boys, in regards to your grappling discussion, here are my notes:

Original code works like this:

Man vs CPU:

Man = HP + If >4 Presses then add x20 HP

CPU = HP If >4 Presses then add x20 HP (always 0 presses for CPU)

Whoever’s HP is bigger wins the grapple.  If tied, Man wins if Man has even presses and CPU wins if Man has odd presses

Man vs Man:

Offensive Man = HP

Defensive Man = HP + If >4 Presses then add x20 HP

Whoever’s HP is bigger wins the grapple.  If tied, Defensive Man wins if Defense has even presses and Offensive Man wins if Defense has odd presses

It appears what decides Man vs CPU or Man vs Man code is backwards as it makes more sense if both Man players get the press check while the CPU wouldn’t need the check since its always 0 presses.

I can't remember what "lf" stands for in the formula, but it's basically saying when you are Man vs. CPU, it checks for how many taps each player had (which is silly because the CPU always gets 0 taps).  If you're Man vs. Man, it doesn't do a tap check for the Offense, but does so for the defense, so the defense always gets boosted x20 HP, which is why it's nearly impossible to break a tackle vs. a man CPU. 

I'm not a good tapper, so I like this :)  That said, I have a fix for this...