Tourney results (24 team handicap format)

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Started our 2-player Triple Tier challenge last night, which amounts to a handicapped tournament as the lowest seeds(Tier 3 teams) gets byes and home games in round 2.   Home games(as Player 1) are important because over the course of a season and roughly 100 games, the home team will typically win about 60-65% of the games.  This really makes all the tiers more competitively closer when the weaker teams are always at home.

Tier 2 teams are at home in round 1 against Tier 1 teams.   

The bracket is below.  I'll be snapping photos of the bracket through out the day showing updated results.

This is played on a combo rom of the 1989 USA version, and the 1990 Japan only release of Tecmo Bowl, which featured roster updates making some teams better or worse.  

handicappedbracket_zps0e8fcd0e.png

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Here's a look at where the 1st round now sits.  Tier 1 came to play last night and went a solid 5-1 on the road, but did so in a slew of close games.

2013-06-22080943_zps2cf55279.jpg

CHI (USA) @ CLE (Japan)  

Frank Minnfield had a couple early INTs and CLE built a 6-0 lead.  CHI had the ball with a few seconds left in the half and tried to run Payton in for the TD, but Minnfield tackled him at the 3, with just 1 second left.  Butler hit the FG at the gun.   Pretty crazy play because time nearly ran out and would have caused CHI to lose out on 3 points. CLE added another FG.  Late in the game CHI found themselves at the 5 yardline with only a few seconds left, but a dump off pass to Payton did not result in the game winning score as Walter tried to juke Clay Matthews but was tackled a few yards short of the goal line.  CLE held on 9-3.

NYG (Japan) @ CLE (USA)

Simms tosses an early pick and CLE settles for a short extra point distance field goal for a 3-0 lead.  Midway in the 4th, the Giants convert a 4th and 1 from their own 40 to eventually get in range for a tying field goal.  The Giants play a perfect game, and the rest of the way and hit a field goal from the 30 as time expires for the win.  CLE really controlled the game up until that 4th down conversion, and then the teams really went in opposite directions after that.

SF (USA) @ DEN (USA)

Back and forth game where its 6-6 in the 4th and Elway throws a horrible INT.  A couple plays later Rulon Jones has a bead on a Montana pass, but doesn't get the pick.  Denver can't quite get into FG range late and the 49ers win 9-6.    Broncos Ken Bell had one of the most amazing kick returns we have ever seen leading to a FG.

IND (USA) @ WSH (USA)

Strength vs strength here as WSH's D sets out to stop the Indy offense.  WSH opens the game on a 80 yard drive and Timmy smith TD run....for the 1st TD of the night.  Jack Trudeau tosses a rare pick in FG range, but WSH can't capitalize.   Indy gets  FG before the half and trails 7-3.  Albert Bentley gets a big KR to open the 2nd half and it leads to another FG,  7-6 WSH leads.  Doug Williams tosses a pick on the next drive, and Indy adds another FG for a 9-7 lead.  Indy runs out some clock, and WSH is unable to get into FG range, as the Colts pull off the win.  

Somewhere in the 2nd half, the WSH kept Indy out of the endzone when they had reached the 5.  Huge stop there to preserve the game, but WSH's O struggled after the big drive early.   

NYG (USA) @ SEA (USA)

2 things happened in this game.  Fred Young dominated Joe Morris all game, and LT dominated Curt Warner.  Game went to OT tied at 0.  Teams probably combined for about 4 1st downs in regulation.  After many possessions, Joe Morris finally breaks off a couple runs against Young to get them into FG range.  Kick is good and NY wins 3-0.  LT just missed a pick in the 3rd qtr which would have resulted in the winning field goal there, but they had to grind it out.  Only the Giants were able to cross mid-field in this game and it probably took them 8-10 possessions to do so.

SF (Japan) @ LA (USA)  

Montana tosses an early INT and it looks like LA could be in business.  2 Jay Shroeder INT's later along with Bo and Marcus each getting stuffed on 4th and 1, and SF rolls 24-0.   SF picked apart the Raiders defense all game, and put it completely out of reach in the 3rd qtr.     

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Didn't get a chance to post updates for this over the weekend.  Only had time to send a few texts/emails to Turd, Meat, and Bo Knows.  Time consuming ordeal playing 23 games of Tecmo Bowl, when they clock in at about 30 minutes each.   Here was where things stood at the end of the opening round. 

16_zps5b700678.jpg

I'll post detailed recaps later, for now the quick recaps are below......

Bears (Japan) @ Dolphins (Japan)

game was tied at 6 at the half, but Chicago had a flurry in the 3rd qtr and won by about 10.

Vikings (Japan) @ Broncos (Japan)

Close game that Minnesota pulls out like 9-6.

Honestly I expected more carnage, but the Tier 1 teams really showed why they are ranked at the top as they gutted out some tough games on the road. 

We were a bit astonished by the lack of wins by the home teams in the opening round, but the elites in Tecmo Bowl really proved their worth. 

There were a couple really solid match-ups that we considered toss ups as we analyzed the game before hand.  Tier 1 went on the road against some really good Tier 2 squads, and just managed to find ways to win.   

Indy @ WSH in the opener I felt was a real toss up. Indy won it 9-7 after giving up the opening drive TD. 

Giants @ Browns, and 49ers @ Broncos all delivered  great battles.

Vikings @ Broncos made for a better match-up than I expected, as Denver hung in there. 

The 2nd round provided more lopsided match-ups, and home field could not offset the difference in the 2 teams.

Indy had no chance against NYG, Dallas had no shot against SF, and SEA against NYG was another easy win, 

Not surprising since those are realy the standout elites in the game and the obvious mis-matches.  

The USA 49ers beat the USA Dolphins 7-6 in a tough batle.  It was all SF could do to keep Marino out of the endzone. 

I didn't expect Japan MIN to destroy Japan LA so easily.  That game was 31-6, and probably should have been 38-3. 

Home cooking did help a couple teams. USA MIN got by Japan CHI in a tight one.  At the moment I don't recall what made the difference.

Japan WSH probbaly pulled off the upset of the tourney as they beat Japan CLE 6-0.  That game fetured a monumemtal breakdown on CLE's part as Kosar had 4 1st half INT's and CLE was twice denied a TD while being inside WSH's 5 yardline.   CLE could not get out of their own way, and still damn near pulled off a 7-6 win.   

What did seem fitting to me was that 6 of my top ranked 8 teams reached the Elite 8.  Only the 2 versions of the Bears were missing, and they clearly are ranked where they belong, but did not perform up to their usual caliber of play.  The USA Bears had a poor game offensively vs CLE, and MIN really stood up to the challenge all game long in order to beat them. 

My main take away here was the after Tier 1 survived round 1, there wan't much drama in round 2.  I gave about half of Tier 2 a 50/50 shot at getting wins in round 1. 

When we got to round 2, all the elite teams that had advanced for the most part made quick work of the Tier 3 squads.  I think I need to randomly mix it up a bit so that Tier 2 has 4 of the 8 teams(or at least 2) on bye to help provide more intrigue in that round.

Having the majority of the Tier 1 team left in the Elite 8/region finals made for spectacular match-ups down the stretch and those games were super intense as there was no coasting late in this thing. 

Sprinkling in some Tier 2 into byes will also probably make for a really tough couple regions as well.  Also would probably make for a couple weak regions, but it would shake things up a bit.  I always like things randomly lopsided here and there for intrigue.   

The final 4.  We knew from here on out, it was going to be nothing but really tough match-ups across the board.

4_zps35527a26.jpg

On Paper MIN is a real tough out for NYG, but the bottom MLB works in the linebacker protect against NY, so it sorta nullified Keith Millard in this match-up.  MIN had a severe punting disadvantage and bowed out 3-0 as NY got a field goal as time expired.  Nate's perspective on this region was that it was far too easy for New York to come out of into the final 4...and there was certainly some truth to that.  We agreed that the bottom half of the bracket on that side would have a cannibalistic feel to it as we could see scenarios for just about any team reaching the final 4.  CHI, SF, DEN, MIA, and even CLE looked like teams that could legitimately reach the final 4 there.  

In the bottom half of that side of the bracket.....

USA SF built up a solid 12-0 lead on Washington, and a goal line stand early in the 4th qtr preserved the win.  WSH eventually scored late to pull things closer, but SF had it in the bag.  The Skins were the last of the 3 teams we thought had any shot to get to the elite 8.  

Japan SF trailed 3-0 until the 4th where NYG was caught cheating up on defense and Montana hit John Taylor for a big TD strike.  SF won 7-3.  49ers really dodge a bullet as they were on the ropes.

USA Indy puled out an OT win over USA MIN 6-3.  Really tough game where both offenses struggled to move the ball.   

This top right side of the bracket was really a crap shoot as well.  MIN upsetting the Bears really opened the door for the Colts to take this region.  They would have had to play @ CHI...a game they've won before, but thats a really tall order for them, as CHI is basically the same style of team, but with far greater defensive players.

Realistically we could see ANY of the 6 teams reaching the final 4 here.  If MIA gets by CHI in the opening round there, they have the goods to give anyone a hell of a game.  It would be tough, but Marino typically struggles the most against dominant defenders from the middle of the field, and WSH, MIN, and Indy don;t have that guy as does CHI with Singletary.  

A San Fran vs San Fran championship game....

SF (Japan) we rank #1 overall.  SF (USA) comes in at 3rd.  Pretty fitting match-up.

2_zpscc3b8eae.jpg

USA SF came out on fire with excellent playcalls all game long and smashed the USA Giants.  I think the final score was 19-3.  Insane offensive game called all game long.  Giants could get very few play picks, and Montana was sharp.  Good ol fashion ass whoopin, and it was the 49ers at their absolute best.  Really one of the more dominant performances in a "super power game" that I can recall.

Japan 49ers came out and blazed through the Colts defense for an easy score.  Quick 8-10 yard strikes.  They looked unstoppable and took an easy 7-0 lead, then the Colts blue collar D went to work and shut them out the rest of regulation.  Duane Bicketyt also blocked a FG from about the 25 to keep Indy alive.  SF kept Indy's offense in check though.  In the 4th SF botched a punt and Indy took over just inside their own territory.  Dickerson eventually rattled off a 30 some yard TD run and the pressure kick to tie it against Michael Carter was good.  The game went to OT tied at 7.  

In OT San Fran finally got the offense on track in their 2nd possession(?) and kicked a chip shot field goal to move onto the finals.

For all the dominance Japan SF possesses, they beat the hapless Cowboys 7-3, beat the weaker version Giants 7-3 and had to beat the Colts in OT 10-7.  

This set up Japan SF @ USA SF for the championship.  

NO!!!!!!!!!!MIN (japan) loses in the elite 8

Checking my scores they beat DEN 16-6...which with our defensive acumen that's a really solid win when you double digit an opponent.  

They piss pounded the Japan raiders 31-6, and then took the all world Giants down to the final gun.  They had a nice run, and were a legit contender albeit more of a darkhorse to win the whole thing. 

Champion is the Japan 49ers with a late FG for a 12-10 win.

2013-06-22230629_zpsb5bbbfdd.jpg

Japan SF looked like they were going to run away with it leading 9-3, but USA SF said enough is enough and went on a pretty much unstoppable drive to take a 10-9 lead.  Japan SF most of the 4th qtr left to respond.  As Japan SF got near midfield, Montana threw a pick that they credited to Michael Carter who would have scored a rare pick 6, but as he neared the endzone as i zigged and zagged, my thumb slowly slipped off the directional pad, and SF USA took over at the 4 yard line.  Really good chance that would have been a pick 6 and game over.  A FG means they have probably have a 60% shot of winning.  A TD means its game over unless Japan SF could take the KO to the house and something miraculous happens.  On the 1st play from the 4, Montana forces one in to Wilson and its picked off in the endzone.

Japan SF gets new life with about 50 seconds left and eventually hits a FG from about the 35 with just a few seconds left to win 12-10.

Japan SF really had lady luck on their side the last 3 games, and dodged some serious bullets.  To put it in perspective, USA SF had the ball 1st and goal at the 4 with 50 seconds left and leading by 1, and still lost the game.  That's a bad beat right there.

The tourney was a blast.  We started about 9:30 pm on Friday and finished it up about 10:30 on saturday night.  We'll do another one of those down the road sometime.    

MIN (usa) had a good run.All in all i really enjoyed the tournament,how has it been with the fixed playbook teams??

Its great.  As expected MIN Japan and WSH USA are beastly teams.  USA MIN is really a tough out too.  

Japan WSH kinda sucks, but they got a good draw thanks to the CLE over CHI upset, and then were what may have been the biggest benefactor ever of plain ol good luck in the game against CLE.  Total melt down job by the Browns.  That game was sooo epic though.  So many twists and turns to it...it was really phenomenal.  Even though i lost that game, it was the most interesting of all.     

The fixed LA teams really suck.  The main problem is that its too easy to sit on that Pass 2 call and just try to make Marcus Allen/Steve smith beat you.  Then you get coy and mix in some run calls when the raiders are conditioned to the pass.  USA Raiders would do ok against teams with weak defenses, but the really good defensive teams will continue to smash them. Japan LA really is a 3rd tier team.  Not a lot going on there.    

Next thing I'd like to do is start to take a look at the tier rankings.  Really thinking LA USA is out of tier 2 and into tier 3.  Thinking MIN USA could take their spot.  MIN has a pretty dang good playbook, as you need to exert a lot of calls stopping pass 2.  

Appears we have the format ironed out a little and have the next bracket made for when we blast through another one of these.

Forgive the crudeness of the image, as I just quickly pieced it together.

New stipulations:

Tier 1 has one team that was randomly given a bye 

Tier 2 has two teams that were randomly given byes

The Tier 3 teams that got bumped out of byes were given home games in round 1.  

handimockbracket_zpsd04d8658.png

Top left of bracket is crazy hard, and top right of bracket is nearly as brutal.  

Decent lower left with USA SF/Japan MIN and it made it so the bottom right is basically Giants and everyone else, but if NY gets upset early, that region is a free for all to the final 4....which would be interesting.  

With the new style here 7 of the top 8 teams can still reach the elite 8 round.  Its not like we have 5 elites all in 1 region.