Run Block/Pass BLock Hack.

bruddog

Not sure if anyone is interested in this but this hack  uses separate ratings for blocking on pass plays vs blocking on run plays. This hack applies purely to COM v COM grappling. I put on the original rom for now. I created exaggerated ratings for BUF and INDY so you can see how it works. 

tpc_original_run_pass_block_hack.nes

How it works is as follows:

RUN PLAYS, FG's and PUNT's:  I

It works as normal and uses the offensive and defensive players HP.

PASS PLAYS:

If the player is an OL, it uses their RS vs the defenders MS.

If the player is not an OL :it compares their HP to the defenders MS.

I did it that way because I figured RS for an OL is pretty unimportant. Likewise using MS for pass rushing made sense because it works naturally. I guess quickness could be used but its used in other hacks and would make the length of this hack much larger.

COPYING TO ANOTHER ROM:

Copy and paste: 0x2835E  to 0x28364

Copy  and paste: 0x2BF50 to 0x2BFD0.

The hack will not work as intended if the RS/MS/HP tables are messed with. 

If anyone wants the details of the hack PM me. 

Two things

As it is, overlaps with grapple hack as you said in chat?

Last time I rated a rom (and I think you did this in your first RTL) I gave good pass rushers high RS and somewhat high HP but relatiely low RP and MS so that they wouldn't be as good on a long chase.

I almost think using RS for the pass rusher would be better than MS for that reason, even if the MS rarely matters on a play.

Edited by bgboud2

I forget how much room the grapple hack takes up. I might be able to squeeze both in that section without bank switching but I'm not sure. But yes currently it overlaps. 

The reason I went with MS instead of RS for defense is because high RS makes a MAN controlled defender really good at  defense in general. Think Lonnie young. Whereas if  a  25rs 31 rp 75ms guy isn't much good to use. 

Likewise using  RS doesn't give you as much range is you are trying to keep it in the normal tecmo values for defenders. You'd be limited to 25 31 38 44 

I forget how much room the grapple hack takes up. I might be able to squeeze both in that section without bank switching but I'm not sure. But yes currently it overlaps. 

The reason I went with MS instead of RS for defense is because high RS makes a MAN controlled defender really good at  defense in general. Think Lonnie young. Whereas if  a  25rs 31 rp 75ms guy isn't much good to use. 

Likewise using  RS doesn't give you as much range is you are trying to keep it in the normal tecmo values for defenders. You'd be limited to 25 31 38 44 

I usually flipped the RS/RP for the elite pass rushers to something like 56rs 38rp

But I could see where that might cause problems if you want to limit usability while having a good "drone" pass rush.

this is a really good idea.  would it be easy to change the code to use OL MS instead of RS?  

how do you figure that OL MS more important than RS?

edited by buck, before he hit post

Well a couple reasons. If I used MS and you had a great pass blocking RT and you give him 75 ms then you would have a 75 ms kick returner.

Thus using MS would require also using the dedicated returner hack.

Also I'm not sure its good to have blockers fly out so quick when they are pulling.

One last thing is that OL would also be really fast on fumble returns if MS was used.

When i read this my spontaneous reaction was: How about merging the use of RS and RP (like a reverse PC-PA hack) making initial speed and acceleration based on the same rating and then use the unused rating as blocking (for O) and pass rush (for D)?

Rate players based on: Acceleration (and initial speed), Max Speed, Strenght (HP) and Blocking/Pass rush

Would that be possible without having to mess with too much things?

Knobbe, I do that for formations where the TE's or RB's might be are set up to block a DL or OLB. In that case if you rate the DL as a poor run defender he will now suck at pass rushing vs a TE or RB if you do his Hitting Power vs the TE's.  

• 6 years later...

i know this thread has been dead for a while, but i just got into all this a couple days ago and I'm very interested in this hack if it can work. I was experiencing the same issues as t-bowl time and so i ran a few different tests a few different times to see if i could pinpoint the problem. thought it might be an issue with the DL not hitting their MS before they hit the OL but that wasn't it. The issue appears to be with player 1/player 2. So, here are a few buggy things that I've noticed about the hack. It seems to be largely working ok for whichever team is player 2. However whichever team is player 1 will get nearly their entire DL popcorned on every pass play...the run plays happen fine. It may be that player 2 gets a huge chance to popcorn everyone on the defense during a pass play, because i watched andre reed immediately popcorn 2 defenders after making a catch, and in a separate game i watched steve grogan take off running and immediately popcorn 2 or 3 defenders before finally being stopped by a diving tackle (which i don't think can be popcorned). Also, during a play action pass, i believe the OL and DL match up as if it's a run play (HP vs HP), which is fine and actually makes real world sense, but in tsb it means that a play action pass neutralizes an excellent pass rusher every time one is called. This is the experience that I'm having with this hack (i got the actual ROM file from some corner of the internet where it still existed and checked it in HxD - figuring out how to read the hex stuff you guys are writing out in here took a day in itself lol - to make sure the changes reflected what was shown for the hack in this link

So it actually looks like it works fine if you go into the rom with the default values that it comes with and play a game doing what anyone would do - setting bills to player 1 and colts to player 2 - but once you try to give bruce smith 94MS in hopes of him crashing through a line with 50RS, things start to go awry. I hope any of this is helpful because I'd love to see it work as described and it's way beyond my scope, seeing as how all i know how to do is copy and paste the hex modifications.

Edited by Ian Jones

20 hours ago, bruddog said:

I’m sure I could write a proper hack at this point. But don’t expect it anytime soon. There probably is a bug with this. I’ll have to check sometime.

I'm sure it's lengthy. Honestly, I'm not sure how the roster creators on here live without this. I haven't seen another hack on here that attempts to add more depth to the actual players