buck

Possible to "swap" PC and PA?? (NES TSB)

So, like many before me, I am looking to do a very simple "re-do" of 1990 TSB. 

as the NES TSB game works in it's natural unmodified state:  Pass Control (PC) is THEE QBs variable for how "on target" a pass is; and it also is the variable for whether a pass will be "completed or intercepted".  (Pass Accuracy (PA) does nothing, without a "hack").

I was considering the usual jstout PA hack - where PC is "target" and PA is "comp/int"...  

But I got to thinking - that it would make a guy like Elway TOO good.  look at his 1990 stats, off the top of my head - 15 td, 14 ints.  Anyways, that shouldn't deserve a 69 "completion/INT" variable!  

On to my point/question - I want to implement a version of the jstout "PA Hack"  - BUT-  "swap" the function of PC with PA for this hack ->  So that PC is the "completion/int variable" only and PA becomes "on target" only.  It seems like I've seen something discussed like this before (maybe bruddog talked about it?).

so, for the Elway example: he would now throw a 69 (pretty good) "on target" pass, but his "completion/INT" variable would stay the same at 31, which is pretty bad.

I suppose I could just physically swap (cut/paste) the attributes around in TOOL or something and do jstout's hack, but I wanted to keep the attributes looking the same.  So, how can that be swapped around behind the scenes in the ROM?

Anybody have ideas how to do it; and does it make sense within the original QB attributes to do this?

Edited by buck

I re-wrote some of the dialog of my 1st post to make things clearer, I hope.  

looking through the QBs, I believe this will be a subtle change for most QBs, because most will only differ by +/- a single notch.   some of the "best" QBs will not be affected at all (QB BILLS, Montana, moon)

but here are the starting QBs whose "on target" throws would be significantly affected by my suggested mod:

player ("on target" throw change)

boomer (56 to 69)

bernie (75 to 50)

bubby (25 to 56)

elway (31 to 69)

silver spoons (31 to 44)

harbaugh (25 to 56)

peete (44 to 31)

vinnie (56 to 44)

chris everett (63 to 50)

walsh (38 to 50)

Edited by buck

in summary, this hack is a combination of jstout's original "pass accuracy" hack (http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9494-nes-pc-and-pa/) and this little twist.  

Pass Control will now be the "completion/interception" variable and Pass Accuracy will now be "on target" ability variable.

or as jstout would say:

Pass Accuracy= Ability to throw on target
Pass Control = Ability to complete a pass

code:

At x29FEC:88        ;new "target" PA read ( replaces $87, PC)At x29E54:20 F7 9F   JSR $9FF7 ; Go to new "comp/int" variable read (PC)At x2A007:A0 87      LDY #$87 ; Read PC (was read PA)4C DD 9F   JMP $9FDD ; Go to Normal Code
Edited by buck

Big help.  Bruddog has written that it's possible to shift around the functions belonging/assigned to these different attributes: 

He said he'd lost the notes, but it'd be cool if anything could be posted on this.

Edit:  The link I'd intended to post is:  http://tecmobowl.org/topic/52872-new-base-nes-rom-w-authentic-nfl-experience-hacks/?hl=+experience%20+rom.

I thought I'd written out that I want to know how to combine "jj intercepted" with "completed/deflected/intercepted on non-dive or jump attempt with defender in coverage" in the redone PC rating.

Edited by quince3800

Definitely a career season by deberg with I'm sure a little luck. Only 4 ints is pretty amazing considering KC was also third in yards per completion and the WR's caught 65% of the passes so its not like he was just dumping it off. 

Strangely enough 3 of his interceptions on the season all came in one game vs the colts "awesome defense" that only managed 9 ints on the season. 

Deberg also threw 7! ints in a game vs SF 4 years earlier and finished with 5 TD's to 12 ints. LOL.

I've been through most of the TSB qb ratings and '90 stats for these qbs.  I think that PC as "comp" and PA as "target" is solid.  

In most cases, difference (from original, with no hack at all) is subtle.  The cases where there are more than 2 notches involved make sense to me.

thanks again, jstout.

Edited by buck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gabriel Olinto
      Would it be possible to map the 'select' button to be used in nes tsb? For example, for cycle backwards through receivers?
    • By cxm317
      1. Tecmonster it's definitely not a glitch.

2. I consulted jstouts dissassembly files. Always valuable.

Here is the bank in question:

https://code.google.com/p/tecmosuperbowl/source/browse/branches/Bank26.txt

Scroll down to the note jstout added randomize week games. it starts off with
      JSR L_D8F7 AND #$0F

This is a routine to update the random numbers and then it constrains the result to be from 0x00 to 0x0F or 0 to 15 in decimal.
      Anyways we just need the end of the whole routine to randomize the games which is

JSR store_sram_checksum LDA #%11000000 STA PRG_RAM_PROTECT
      RTS

So at 0x3220A paste in 20 B3 C4 A9 C0 8D 01 A0 60.

This will prevent the schedule from being random. You may need to do a season reset once to get it unrandomized but it should be good from then on.

View full article
    • By buck
      There are 4x roms in the zip - actually, only two games (ROM 1 and ROM 2), but see below for reasoning for the extra two roms
      the zip also contains a basic readme, and a png image of a playbook key

View attachment: Street Tecmo 2013 v1 also with no p2.zip

View attachment: tsb street var shots 1.png

Documentation

There are two ROMs, each with 16 NFL teams.
      The only difference between the ROMs are the teams/rosters/names, etc. and the color of the endzones.

Based on Jstout's "CIFL 7-on-7" NES Tecmo Super Bowl ROM
      Upgraded plays (enhanced for the street)
      50 yard "field"

COM v MAN (you can play as player 2 if you set up your emulator)
      Competitive COM for challenging Season fun

No "Out of Bounds" - you can run into the walls

New Halftime and New Halftime Song
      Reduced Cutscreens

Game plays very fast (almost every variable is sped up greatly)
      Turnovers and scoring are common
      No punts (just "kicker")
      Countless Graphic changes

In-game playbook changing
      Cool new Uniforms (some throwbacks in there, too)
      12-game season with 8-team playoffs

"Heroes" - it's like a mini-game
      I have set up the heroes from the original Tecmo Super Bowl game
      AFC and NFC - using their original ratings (although some are decreased because it's played as pro-bowl game)
      but, it has a totally different feel and challenge than the other modern "street" teams

Pass Accuracy is completion/int variable
      KR return at their own Max Speed
      Player 2 condition indicator fixed

No pass-defender auto-dive
      Quicker dives for defenders

AI hacks
      Passing Game Hacks

Bruddog's OL/DL Differential (more random popcorn in the trenches)

HP Hack (MAN v MAN "popcorn" and/or "mash")
      Also, HP is quantized to a scale of "0 to 3 extra presses" that are added to grapple counter)
      6-25 HP = 0 extra press
      31-50 HP = 1 extra press
      56-75 HP = 2 extra press
      81-100 HP = 3 extra press

-----
      EXTRA ("no p2" versions): the (main) 1st version of TSB Street posted on 9-5-12 has a very cool hack (thanks xplozv) that lets you play as the 2nd player (2nd side) vs COM (also in season mode).
      A requirement is that you need to have your emulator set up such that you have control of the 2nd player controller (or if using an actual NES, a controller in port 2!) . In the emulator I use, I have them both programmed to the same controller/buttons.
      If you use an emulator that will not allow you to program or play as a 2nd player controller, I have provided a set of roms with the additional "no p2" characters in the rom filename. this "no p2" will play just like the original TSB - MAN will always be player one side when playing COM.

Therefore I have updated the zip to include these "no p2" versions. I also updated the readme in the zip. No other changes have been made.
      --

We must thank the following, because this rom would not be possible without their past or present help:
      jstout, bruddog, cxrom, bad_al, average tsb player, elway, knobbe, bodom, and xplozv

(jstout did not have any direct hand in the making of this ROM, but we thought we should credit him because we used his CIFL 7-on-7 ROM as our base)

--

it's a party, jerk. so enjoy it.

This post has been promoted to an article

View full article
    • By Steve Moerke
      Hello,

This is the 2nd time now this has happened to me. I returned the first cartridge after it only worked for about an hour. After I put it in my NES and took it out 3-4 times to play other games it stopped working. Now the 2nd TSB17 I received does not work. I put it in played 2 games and now, in the middle of the game it randomly restarted itself. Now when I try to turn the game on, the cartage will not even start up, it just has a white line across the screen. The power button just flashes. My NES has a new 72 pin connector installed in it. I have over 80 NES original cartridges and I can randomly grab any 1 of the 80 games and they will work perfectly the first time. I put in any other of my NES carts they all start right up instantly with no issues. I put in the TSB17 and get a white line. Please let me know if this is a known problem and if there is a fix? I have looked everywhere on the net and cant find any information on the subject. I also see they have stopped selling the cartridge does this mean there are know problems with the cartridges?

Thanks,

Steve