TSB Players On Tecmo

thalivest

This is a question for Brad, TheFes, Bo Knows, Turd and those who know Tecmo Bowl much better than I do. Certain players from Tecmo continued onto TSB (LT, Montana, Rice, Bo, Marino etc.). What I want to know is how would TSB players who weren't n the original fair. Most Tecmo stars were stars on TSB, but would all TSB stars be stars under Tecmo's format.

For instance how would Barry Sanders do in Tecmo. Yes he is the greatest RB in Tecmo (all versions) history!! I won't even debate that. Everyone else can fight for #2. Steve Young is probably the best QB in Tecmo history how would he do? Deion Sanders? Reggie White? Cortez Kennedy could be a problem on TSB (SNES/ Genesis) but would he be in Tecmo? Would the Oilers struggle in Tecmo? Moon and those wideouts (Jeffries, Hill & Givens) in a tough, run oriented Tecmo? Would they still be effective.

hose who make ROMs should have insight. Projected attribute ratings welcome also, as well as player and team analysis.

In my Tecmo career going back to 1989, I can honestly say, i've played close to 1,000 games of Tecmo Bowl, if not more.  I consider myself as astute at the game as anyone possibly could be, and feel there is really no facet of Tecmo I don't know about or can't exploit against an opponent.  With that said my authoritative stature in the field of Tecmo Bowl suggests will all my being......that all those player you mentioned would be pretty good.

This is a question for Brad, TheFes, Bo Knows, Turd and those who know Tecmo Bowl much better than I do. Certain players from Tecmo continued onto TSB (LT, Montana, Rice, Bo, Marino etc.). What I want to know is how would TSB players who weren't n the original fair. Most Tecmo stars were stars on TSB, but would all TSB stars be stars under Tecmo's format.

For instance how would Barry Sanders do in Tecmo. Yes he is the greatest RB in Tecmo (all versions) history!! I won't even debate that. Everyone else can fight for #2. Steve Young is probably the best QB in Tecmo history how would he do? Deion Sanders? Reggie White? Cortez Kennedy could be a problem on TSB (SNES/ Genesis) but would he be in Tecmo? Would the Oilers struggle in Tecmo? Moon and those wideouts (Jeffries, Hill & Givens) in a tough, run oriented Tecmo? Would they still be effective.

hose who make ROMs should have insight. Projected attribute ratings welcome also, as well as player and team analysis.

Brad is probably the utmost authority in Tecmo Bowl, but as he said those players would do fine.  Here is how I went about the rankings in my ROMS

In my 1984 ROM's I tried to stay within the framework of the original Tecmo Bowl ratings as to not create complete imbalance.  So for example the 1984 LA NFC (Rams) has Eric Dickerson when he rushed for 2105 yards.  SInce he was the best running back of the 12 teams I had on the ROM I gave him Bo Jackson's attributes from the original, but with a 4 in RS and RP instead of 3 and 4. The rest of the running backs in the game I ranked and then gave the exact same attribute ratings as the original based on where they ranked.  I awarded an extra point in Top Speed and one in either RS or RP if they were All Pro or an exra attribute point in RS or RP if they were Pro Bowl players. It was my first ROM attempt and I learned a lot.

My 1989 ROM actually has more statistics factored in to the rankings.  Also in the 1989 ROM the Oilers are represented and have all 4 plays from the shotgun (1 Run 3 Pass) as does Miami in the1984 ROM.

On defense I ranked the DL on Sacks.

• All Pro D linemen had 16 MS 2 RP and 7 RS.

Pro Bowl linemen had 15 MS 2 RP and 8 RS

The Rest were ranked anywhere from 15 MS, 1 RP, 8 RS to 12 MS, 0 RP, 9 RS

The LB's on sacks and INT combined.

• All Pro LB had 17 MS 3 RP and 7 RS

Pro Bowl LB had 16 MS 2 RP and 8 RS

The Rest were ranked anywhere from 15 MS, 1 RP 8 RS to 13 MS, 0 RP, 9 RS

The DB's on Sacks INT combined.

• All Pro DB had 18 MS 3 RP 7 RS

Pro Bowl DB had 17 MS 2 RP 8 RS

The Rest were ranked anywhere from 16MS, 1 RP, 8 RS to 14 MS, 0 RP, 9

Defensive Player of the year got a boost in both MS and RP.

Some allowances were made for Hall of fame players who did not put up big Sack or INT numbers.

In the Download section of this site under Tecmo Bowl You can check out my 1984 and 1989 ROMS.  They have 3 downloads for each.  The game, An excel spreadsheet with the player attibutes, and a Word document with a synopsis of each team.

Yeah, as brad said all those guys would be pretty darn good. Reggie white would be a run stuffing terror, Barry sanders would be Bo light, and Deion Sanders would be making more tackles in a game then he did in real life.

I like TheFes75's post above, because it makes sense.  If you're talking about fitting the best players from a different season/game onto original-style Tecmo Bowl game -> then just "rank" the players and match them up to similar ranking-players in Tecmo Bowl.

>>but keep in mind that the original ratings (for TSB and TB) don't always "make sense" statistically - there is not a mathematical model, based on season statistics, that will give you ratings like they rated them.  there was MOJO to be considered, as well as rating-abnormalities that occurred for whatever reason.

Edited by buck

I like TheFes75's post above, because it makes sense.  If you're talking about fitting the best players from a different season/game onto original-style Tecmo Bowl game -> then just "rank" the players and match them up to similar ranking-players in Tecmo Bowl.

>>but keep in mind that the original ratings (for TSB and TB) don't always "make sense" statistically - there is not a mathematical model, based on season statistics, that will give you ratings like they rated them.  there was MOJO to be considered, as well as rating-abnormalities that occurred for whatever reason.

Considering Walter Payton was retired, he is a great example of mojo ratings

In general a great player from TSB would probably be a great player in the original.  Especially with less players on the field; however the games play pretty differently.  QB sneaks and scrambles have their place in Tecmo but nothing like TSB, where they are game changing.  That would either make players like QB Eagles more or less valuable depending on whether they made him running back good or just made him a little better than the rest.   I'm more familiar with Tecmo, but as I understand it there's less of an emphasis on defense and interceptions in TSB which would increase the value of great defensive players like Deion Sanders.

As far as Barry Sanders is concerned, I'd expect him to be a lot less valuable in TB because of the playbook limitations.  With only 2 run plays and and an otherwise pedestrian offense The Lions would run into a lot of the same problems the Tecmo Chicago Bears do: getting play-picked close to 50% of the time, but without the Bears defense to bail them out.

Good responses. As for TheFes thanks for the breakdown, it makes sense.

Prof W made a good point that Barry may be great individually but because of the team dynamic (in Layman's terms the Lions are shit), he may struggle. Brad your thoughts? Also while Houston is top tier team in TSB, would they be in Tecmo? Offense is based largely on the pass (run and shoot offense) and slightly behind the Niners (TSB), both offensively and defensively.

Although I think the Cowboys (TSB - NES) would be an upper echelon team in Tecmo. Talent wise Emmitt running the ball, Aikman at QB, and he's throwing to Irvin and Novacek and a solid defense. But they may have the SF Mike Wilson problem as Harper may not be rated that highly. Buffalo might be even better.