Tecmo Bowl world cup (24 team competition)

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Fixed playbook for the Vikings?  Check

Steve Jordan in Japan Tecmo is one of the most dangerous weapons in the game?  Check.

Herschel Walker running the ball for the Vikings instead of slow ass Darin Nelson?  Check.

Japan version Vikings have one of the better defenses in Tecmo with 3 absolutely elite guys?  Check.

Vikings are player 1?  Check.

Yeah, I'll pick Minnesota over the 49ers.  While I think overall San Fran is a top 3 team in both version combined, I feel the Japan Vikings are really a crazy tough match-up for them.

Point taken. I have a very limited knowledge of the Japan version so my opinion is probably worthless in that regard. But weren't the JPN Niners supposedly better than the USA Niners?

Also, do you (or anyone) have player's attribute breakdowns and team playbooks for the JPN version, like you do at your site? Someway for me to draw a frame of reference.

Point taken. I have a very limited knowledge of the Japan version so my opinion is probably worthless in that regard. But weren't the JPN Niners supposedly better than the USA Niners?

Also, do you (or anyone) have player's attribute breakdowns and team playbooks for the JPN version, like you do at your site? Someway for me to draw a frame of reference.

Yes, Japan San Fran is much better.  Roger Craig is faster, Mike Wilson is replaced with a speedy John Taylor at top WR.  Jerry Rice was made faster as well.  

They have some better guys on defense as well.  

This page here has the ratings, and opens them in a google document.  https://sites.google.com/site/tecmobowlsite/fun-stuff/downloads

Whats cool is the combined sheet shows the Japan versions in blue along with the USA ratings.  The playbooks are the same for either version of a team.  

Yeah, I remember now that you switched the defensive formation around for the Vikings in one of your roms.  I do recall that Scott Studwell was actually a LB but played as a DT for MIN on Tecmo.  

I fully support that idea, and will look into that change for the rom.  Good work!  

Do you know if there are any other teams that are considerably misrepresented on Tecmo???  Just going off memory, I can't think of any but there is bound to be at least 1 guy out of position.

Moving Millard to a top DT instead of a top inside LB wouldn't change anything in terms of how you can use Millard.  Based on the defensive player "run protect" schemes and what calls work, coupled with which player you can use.   Millard would be basically just as useful at the DT position, as he could go unblocked often against the run.  He'll still be a force against the shotgun for sure from the DT position. 

The 1990 Japan Cleveland team is a 3-4 team but if you look at their positions on www.pro-football-reference.com they should have been a 4-3 team but that would change some of the players on the game. 

In the original Tecmo Bowl John L. Williams is the TE for Seattle but he was actually a Running Back. Mike Tice was the actual starting TE with only 14 receptions. Seattle could have easily been a two back team like the Raiders. for as little as the Raiders acutally used Marcus Allen while they had Bo or Steve Smith for that matter perhaps Seattle and Los Angeles should have swapped playbooks. Largent could have slid to the TE spot and Daryl Turner  would remain the bottom receiver.  John L. Williams could be the Marcus Allen and Curt Warner could be the Bo Jackson.

John L. Williams 1987 stats

500 yards rushing 38 receptions.

John L. Williams 1989 stats

499 yards rushing 76 receptions

There are several players who are white that should have been black players on the game (Bill Brooks, Reggie Roby, Joey Browner, Derrick Crawford, Dwaine Board, Keena Turner, Daryl Turner,etc)

John L. Williams is the Seahawks RB in Japan.  At times it like they just made do with whoever they knew was on the team, or flat out had a few screw ups.  

I looked up some old stats on tackles and such from 1989 for the Vikings, and there wasn't much on the LBs.  Perhaps they had a real pedestrian crew at LB, and their strength obviously was the D-line, but it still doesn't explain why they wouldn't just make them a 4-3 anyways.

Before I ever got the player ratings for Japan tecmo, I had access to just the rosters...It was something that Matt had up when it was still the repository.  I assumed the player ratings were going to be the same as the US version.  I was salivating at some of the things I saw.  Duane Bickett and Fredd Young both on the Colts!  Dennis Gentry as a WR for the Bears!  There were probably a couple other things that stood out.  I thought the Colts defense was going to be a juggernaut, and the Bears passing attack would really take a step forward.      

There are several players who are white that should have been black players on the game (Bill Brooks, Reggie Roby, Joey Browner, Derrick Crawford, Dwaine Board, Keena Turner, Daryl Turner,etc)

One of my next projects is to find all those guys and get that set straight on the game.  

John Hand is black on USA, and then was white on Japan.   I think it's on the Japan version Reggie Roby takes the snap as a white guy, but then turns black as he punts.   

Starting to go through and find the players who had the wrong skin tone in USA Tecmo.  49ers and Dolphins are done.  Quite a few, including those you listed,

Colts offense had 1 guy wrong on O-line and KR.  Broncos defense was actually 100% correct.  

Has anyone else correlated the speed of the snap from center to QB (shotgun), or to the holder on field goals/extra points to the QB's arm strength (wide receivers special ability). It seems to me that San Francisco's ball gets to the holder faster than Indianapolis. It may also explain why the stronger kickers are on teams with QB's who have weaker arms and vice versa. Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by TheFes75

Has anyone else correlated the speed of the snap from center to QB (shotgun), or to the holder on field goals/extra points to the QB's arm strength (wide receivers special ability). It seems to me that San Francisco's ball gets to the holder faster than Indianapolis. It may also explain why the stronger kickers are on teams with QB's who have weaker arms and vice versa. Has anyone else noticed this?

Interesting theory. My guess was no but it was interesting enough that I decided to test it.  At least on the snap on field goals.  I tried MIA and IND to see if there was any difference in number of frames it takes from pressing A to snap the ball and the moment the holder takes the ball and kneels down.  It took 52 frames for both teams.

• 2 weeks later...

We're looking at a little side-track on this event for a couple reason.

1.  Wanting to test the rom a little more, while looking for things to fix before the big competition.  And also giving us some more time to figure out all the changes we want to make before this rom goes "official".  Things like MIN changing to a 4-3 defense to properly represent their players.

2.  Also wanting to get our bearings straight on all the different Japan/USA match-ups to help down the line with future assessments and analysis.  These playbooks fixes are still new to our competition and we haven't quite figured out just how good these new versions of WSH, MIN, and LA are.  The more games the better so we can properly rank them. 

So in the meantime its looking like next weekend we will fire off with a 24 team handicapped tourney.  The tier 3 teams were all awarded byes and home games in round 2.  Went through and randomly gave every team a seed.  Tier 2 teams were given home games in round 1 against Tier 1 teams, making for some pretty solid match-ups..  Again, for clarification, home team is player 1, which statistically holds a better than 60% winning clip all time, from a section of data that's nearly 2,000 games deep.  

Heres the bracket.

handicappedbracket_zps0e8fcd0e.png

J or U denotes which version.  

Everything was random, but the lone stipulation was that no team would have both versions in the same region.  Only Dallas and Denver have both versions in one side of the bracket so its pretty evenly spread out.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Random thoughts

--Seed #17  Japan Vikings (the highest Tier 1 seed) could get up to 3 homes games if everything went their way.  So its not just about the bracket, its also about who you face in the later rounds and their seed.   Should the 49ers and bears meet in the bottom left region, SF will be home.  We can start to look ahead a little and say "if this happens...." 

--Most anticipated match-ups I see in the 1st round.....  

--USA Colts vs USA Redskins.  Major strength vs strength with Colts O vs WSH D.  Colts D and WSH O will be a battle of who calls better game.  Field position will be pretty even.    

--USA Browns vs Japan Giants(with slow Banks/slow Marshall). Browns pass playbook is hard to defend for even a full strength Giants D.  

--USA Raiders vs Japan 49ers.  Lots of offensive speed on both teams.   All those games are on the right side of the bracket.  

--Also in the mix are Japan Miami which is the better version at home vs Japan CHI.  Marino with the lazer arm and really fast TE/WR will battle it out with speedy Singletary.  

--On the left side, is Japan MIN @ Japan DEN...both of which are the best version for each.  MIN is the better team, but its enough of a tricky match-up that DEN could win at home.  

I also see 1 team with a bye from each region that could make a nice little run.  USA MIN, and USA MIA have a shot as the home team to flat out win a few games as is.  I think Japan LA, and Japan SEA can do some work, but they need some help in the 1st round to get the right match-up.  Then I could easily see them advancing to the round of 8.  In Season 5 USA MIA beat both CHI and NY at home.  MIA is a pretty solid team at home.     

--Overall this will really test the top teams to go out on the road and try to rack up a couple wins before they even get to a situation where they can take full advantage of their abilities.  It definitely helps handicap things for the weaker teams and at least puts them in a position to win a few games, and shake things up.  In a normal setting where the weaker teams are on the road, they usually just get overpowered by games end, or even if they play well lose those ugly/close type games.     

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Just got final confirmation that we are on for next weekend.  Games begin Friday night, and go all day through Saturday. 

Leaning towards calling it the: Tecmo Bowl Triple Tier Tournament.  

4T's for short.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

• 5 months later...

In the original Tecmo Bowl John L. Williams is the TE for Seattle but he was actually a Running Back. Mike Tice was the actual starting TE with only 14 receptions. Seattle could have easily been a two back team like the Raiders. for as little as the Raiders acutally used Marcus Allen while they had Bo or Steve Smith for that matter perhaps Seattle and Los Angeles should have swapped playbooks. Largent could have slid to the TE spot and Daryl Turner  would remain the bottom receiver.  John L. Williams could be the Marcus Allen and Curt Warner could be the Bo Jackson.

John L. Williams 1987 stats

500 yards rushing 38 receptions.

John L. Williams 1989 stats

499 yards rushing 76 receptions

I think Williams was used on a TE based on the fact that he was a fullback in the NFL.  Probably a case of the programmers trying to get a guy on the game who played a pretty significant role for the Seabags, especially in the passing game.