Updating Tecmo Faces

Knobbe

We're looking to "modernize" the faces available in TSB2014.

The first step will be to eliminate current faces..mostly eliminating the mullets and what not

Here are the current faces

6958343404_afe8781b27_o.png

I've added all of the faces as emoticons.

Please throw in the image(s) or numbers of the faces that are no longer relevant.

The next step will be to design some new features, probably mostly hair, to add to available images. 

I'd say that

:face05:  :face07:  :face41:  :faceC5:  :face05:  :faceCC:  :face4B:  :face0D:  :face36:  :face3E:  :face47:  :face39:  :faceC4:  :face30:  :faceBE:  :faceAD:  :faceBB:  :face27:  :face23:  :face02:  :face45:  :face04:  :face4A:  :face44:  :face49: 

can go

My personal opinion is that I think all the faces still work if you just remove the mullets and mustaches.

I definitely think you should keep this one: :faceBB:

because it's a good face to use for Latino players and there are very few options for that.

Also, I'm not sure why you included this one: :faceBE:

I see that look quite a bit in the NFL.  Goes with corn rows.

I find this hilariously racist in a perfect stereotype kind of way.

Tecmonster, on 26 May 2013 - 1:59 PM, said:snapback.png

:faceBB: because it's a good face to us

I always thought that was an east indian

I'll probably have a better list in the future.  I'm trying to eliminate unnecessary features like mullets and pony tails or certain hair configurations.

That way we can put in cornrows or just a chin beard or some other hair/beard item I can't think of at the moment

Made some great breakthroughs this weekend in documenting the faces.

I have all the pointers for the overall image, the pointers to the "Feature groups", and the pointers to the tiles that make up a feature.

Feature groups are the tiles that it takes to make mouth or eyes, for example.

At some point I'll clean up the spreadsheet to upload.

Next I need to document how often each tile is used in order to determine how viable a candidate it is for replacement and create a feature code <-> actual feature tiles guide.

• 2 weeks later...

sweet perm on the left, and I'm digging that diamond "M" hair-bling on the right

There are 130 or so "features" such as eyes, hair, mouths, etc.  I'm through about 20 or so...all hair so far.  I believe the hair on the left is "Montana Hair"

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey if you have any notes on this Knobbe can you post them or PM them shorthand.   I've been going through trying to update everbody using some season stats and team depth charts.    I'd love to take a crack at updating some tile to maybe try and get in the new super long dreads look.  Right now everyone with dreads is getting the aforementioned cornrow look

Edit> Found the other 2 threads with most of your discussion with jstout.  I'll see what I can figure out from there for now.

Edited by Dusto

• 1 month later...

I think I'd like to write an app or an add-on to TSBTool that edits the faces.

But I not sure how to render the tiles based on the ROM data.

Looks like 64 bytes per Tile.

8-bits per pixel.

How do I know what color to render a given pixel?

Where to get the color table for a Tile in the ROM?

Any other good Tile info?

Edited by BAD_AL

• 5 years later...

I'm bumping this because it's all very interesting, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Was the end vision some type of Tool program where you can load a rom, and then select face features for each player instead of whole faces? Has anyone actually developed something like that? 

Aside from that, how else would one utilize all the info presented here? I think I could figure out how to change individual face parts to create new faces if I wanted, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth. When I have edited roms, I've usually been able to find faces that are close enough to most players. My issue has always been that similar faces are not near each other in editors, so it's sometimes difficult finding the face I want. I'm currently rearranging the existing faces in an Excel sheet to deal with that. When I'm done, it should be easier finding faces on my sheet than in the editors.