how to turn a 28-team NES TSB rom to a 32-team rom (or the converse)?

buck

Well, I basically want to make a 32-team rom out of one of the Tecmo Street roms I've made (7-man, 50 yd field, etc - jstout thing).  The thing is, it's based on 28-team rom.

So this leads to the question: what is the best way to take "everything" (graphics, hacks, physics, etc) from this 28-team rom and plug it into a 32-teamer - what code areas should I avoid?  I know that the teams will not line up the same, but that's not a big deal.

Or - is there a "way" to simply turn any given 28-team rom into a 32-team rom?  That would be ideal - because I don't want to change anything else - just the number of teams to 32 (oh, and the mini-helmet screens can change, too).  What are the necessary code locations to bring to the 28-teamer?

Edited by buck

I don't know of a "simple way" to do this. You'd probably have to carefully to cut and paste hex copy of blocks of code being careful not to overwrite any locations specifically used for the 32 team rom.  

And I don't know all the locations that are specific to the 32 team rom. 

Pasting from 28 to 32 you have to make sure you aren't overwriting 32 team specific code or pointers. 

Pasting from 32 to 28 you have to make sure you aren't overwriting any space/code that your hacks use 

so its really pretty similar either way you go. 

well, the moving 28 hacks/graphics to 32 would require multiple shitloads of copy-pasting, there is no doubt about that.  but maybe not so bad if use the 28 as base.

I might just try to make an ips patch - using the original and cxroms 2007 version.

btw - a basic "map" of the contents of each TSB rom type would be cool.  

Edited by buck

The biggest thing would be the graphics change.

Have you ever had to increase the size of the rom to accommodate your hacks?  If not I think doing a diff might be the way to go.

Take a 32 team rom and apply it to a 28 team rom in tsbtool.

Do a diff between them.

Apply that diff to your 28 team rom

Pray

An IPS is essentially is an executed diff.

A diff basically compares two files...it doesn't actually create the change file.

You could try http://sourceforge.net/projects/hexcompare/ for a diff program though I typically use programs like notepad++ or sublime text with hex/diff addons

A diff program would allow you to compare the changes side by side to get a better understanding of what is different.

An IPS is essentially is an executed diff.

A diff program would allow you to compare the changes side by side to get a better understanding of what is different.

yeah, that is a good idea to see what exactly has been changed.  thanks!

edit- wtf is a "tar.gz"?  are you sending me command line bs?  I don't roll that deep, dog.

Edited by buck

google winrar and see how many websites have a variant name of win rar

I'm afraid to download wintrojancondomvirusrar

Edited by buck