Removing Teams from a rom

You will want to remove them from the standings and leader boards too. I found it annoying that the teams I removed were at the top of the Defense Leader Board all the time (they had 0 yards against them afterall).

NFL STANDINGS screen:

23ADB - 23AE8 - CURSOR SETUP (x:y coords) Here, it's the setup for the 3 Divisions for each Conf. + the PLAYOFF screen. (7 coords in total) ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W), then the coords for PLAYOFF

23F6D - 23F78 - TEAM ORDER/ TEAMS PER DIVISION Every 2 bytes correspond a DIVISION. First offset will be the Division's FIRST team, and the following the NUMBER of teams this division has.ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W) *WITH THE RESTRICTION THAT EVERY DIVISION MUST HAVE 4 or 5 TEAMS (unless you apply that other hack some roms have, which I don't know how)

TEAM RANKINGS screen:

NFL TOTAL OFFENSE: 2397C - 2397D 2 offsets. First offset corresponds to the FIRST team this screen will show, the second offset will be for the LAST team shown on this list. (default 00-BUF, 1C-ATL)

AFC OFFENSE: 23980 - 23981 2 offsets First offset corresponds to the FIRST team this screen will show, the second offset will be for the LAST team shown on this list. (default 00-BUF, 0E-SEA)

NFC OFFENSE: 23984 - 23985 2 offsets First offset corresponds to the FIRST team this screen will show, the second offset will be for the LAST team shown on this list. (default 0F-WAS, 1C-ATL)

NFL TOTAL DEFENSE: 23988 - 23989 2 offsets. First offset corresponds to the FIRST team this screen will show, the second offset will be for the LAST team shown on this list. (default 00-BUF, 1C-ATL)

AFC DEFENSE: 2398C - 2398D 2 offsets First offset corresponds to the FIRST team this screen will show, the second offset will be for the LAST team shown on this list. (default 00-BUF, 0E-SEA)

NFC DEFENSE: 23990 - 23991 2 offsets First offset corresponds to the FIRST team this screen will show, the second offset will be for the LAST team shown on this list. (default 0F-WAS, 1C-ATL)

*BUT, if you want to remove a team from one of this lists, you can only CUT it from, either the Top, or the Bottom. (making the teams in the middle shown as UNREMOVED)

**BTW, when I say this: ordered by "ROWS" : 00  05  09...(EAST/ CENTRAL/ WEST)  it means:

00=BUF, 05=CIN, 09=DEN

01=IND, 06=CLE, 0A=KC. 

02=MIA,    ..and so on. THIS IS ONLY FOR SHOWING THIS ORDER ON-SCREEN ( But the BUF=00 to ATL=1C ORDER is present all the time ) (1C in HEX language = 28 )

• 11 months later...

Sorry to dig up a year old topic, but I came across some more information that should be helpful.

As you know, I've been screwing around a lot trying to make different roms (just to mess around with the game for the sole purpose of messing around with the game).  I'm making a 20 rom team based mostly off of the 16 team rom I've been working on, but I found an issue on the preseason and team control screens that I was able to find a fix for.

Using the methods outlined in this thread, I was able to get everything the way I needed.  It seemed that the rom did not like having five teams in the AFC central, as I did not ever have this issue when there were four teams there.  No matter what I did with the hex x1f8b5 I couldn't keep a "]" looking character from appearing where Denver's text would be.  By changing x1e94d to x79, I was able to get rid of it on the team data screen only.  I then noticed some very similar strings of hex:

x1e345 to x1e362 -- affects the text position on the team control screen

x1e23f to x1e25c -- affects the text position on the preseason screen

I may be way off here, but just like the text at x1e943 it looks like each string of five bytes correlates to each division, with the first two bytes in each string seemingly being coordinates for the text.  For the team data screen, I subtracted x0A from the first byte corresponding to the AFC West and it made the character disappear. 

My issue was that messing with that first byte on the other two screens froze the game or caused wacky glitches.  Instead I had to change the second byte (I just added x0A) for the other two screens, and that took care of the issue.

Edited by adscl84

• 6 years later...

On 5/18/2013 at 8:41 PM, pambazos88 said:

NFL STANDINGS screen:

23F6D - 23F78 - TEAM ORDER/ TEAMS PER DIVISION Every 2 bytes correspond a DIVISION. First offset will be the Division's FIRST team, and the following the NUMBER of teams this division has.ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W) *WITH THE RESTRICTION THAT EVERY DIVISION MUST HAVE 4 or 5 TEAMS (unless you apply that other hack some roms have, which I don't know how)

** 32 Team Rom **

Team order/co-ordinates 3FFC9

3F799 - 3F7AA - TEAM ORDER/ TEAMS PER DIVISION Every 2 bytes correspond a DIVISION. First offset will be the Division's FIRST team, and the following the NUMBER of teams this division has.ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W) *WITH THE RESTRICTION THAT EVERY DIVISION MUST HAVE 4 or 5 TEAMS (unless you apply that other hack some roms have, which I don't know how)

7 hours ago, kefkaroth said:

would be nice to see a 30 team rom. i would like to make an accurate 1995 and 1996 season of the nes version by copying the players and stats from the 16 bit and psx games.

There is a WIP version here.

Just going through this recently and grouping the NFC West Teams graphically into a 5 man division is problematic because they're segmented in order and inbetween the end of the 28 teams and the last 4 teams are the ProBowl teams.

unknown.png

The simplest workaround is to just not show all the teams in the NFC West

1 hour ago, fgqb#19nyj said:

is there a way to place the probowl teams so that they're behind the last four NFC teams? I can get 4 out of the 5 teams in the standings screen. But what good is that if you can't get all of them?

Pro Bowl teams are essentially teams 29/30.  I think the move would be to make them teams 27/28 because then you're set up for both a 30 and 31 team rom. Given how this particular screen relies on the teams being in sequential order, it's probable that there are some/many things that would break elsewhere with the teams no longer being in order.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, Knobbe said:

Just going through this recently and grouping the NFC West Teams graphically into a 5 man division is problematic because they're segmented in order and inbetween the end of the 28 teams and the last 4 teams are the ProBowl teams.

unknown.png

The simplest workaround is to just not show all the teams in the NFC West

Do you happen to know the location of where those pro bowl teams' win/loss and point stats are kept in the rom? Whenever I sim a season, one of the pro bowl teams occasionally make the playoffs, and I think it's because of these results. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by fgqb#19nyj

• 4 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, Knobbe said:

Pro Bowl teams are essentially teams 29/30.  I think the move would be to make them teams 27/28 because then you're set up for both a 30 and 31 team rom. Given how this particular screen relies on the teams being in sequential order, it's probable that there are some/many things that would break elsewhere with the teams no longer being in order.

Just wondering...How did he manage to have the game ignore the pro bowl teams in team rankings? If he was able to do that, maybe there's a way in the game that allows you to do the same in the team standings screens as well? Just a thought.

• 5 months later...

Figured I'd update this info to cover the 32 team rom, too.

TEAM DATA screen:

x1E943 - x1E960 - TEXT POSITION and pointers (this however is set by Divisions) adjusts position of an entire division on screen.

x1F8B5 - x1F95F - TEXT FORMAT (***affects all menus!) Every 3 bytes correspond to a team. First offset is for the format, next is the team shown, and the final offset is for the "space" between texts. This data structure is in a variable length and is FE terminated. So, inputting FE will close the DIVISION, thus removing any text from that point. **THIS IS BUF-ATL ORDER; first all AFC, then NFC. *This will also affect the TEXT on the TEAM CONTROL/ PRESEASON screens! This area also covers the 32 team rom.

x22C36 - x22C53 - TEAM SELECTED ROSTER shown when "accessed", ordered by "ROWS": 00 05 09...in this order (EAST/ CENTRAL/ WEST) / 32 team order 00 04 08 0C...(EAST/NORTH/SOUTH/WEST) / 32 team (13=Dal. 17=Min. 1B=Car. 21=Ari.) rom locations start at x3F896 - x3F899...same hex locations as PRESEASON MENU!

x23B4B - x23B94 - CURSOR SETUP (X:Y coordinates) Every 2 bytes correspond to a team. First offset "X", and the following the "Y". (AFC: x23B4D, NFC: x23B53) Teams start at offset x23B59, ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W) / 32 team (Dal. Min. Car. and Ari.) rom locations start at x3F87A - x3F881.

x23D21 - x23D58 - MINI HELMET coordinates. Every helmet uses 2 bytes (Y:X). The X seems to be multiplied by 2 to get the actual placement coordinate. **THIS IS BUF-ATL ORDER; first all AFC, then NFC. / 32 team rom locations - all NFC WEST team locations start at x3F6E7 - x3F6EE (S.F. Stl. Sea. Ari.).

PRESEASON screen:

x1E23F - x1E25C - TEXT POSITION and pointers (this however is set by Divisions) adjusts position of an entire division on screen.

x22C13 - x22C30 - TEAM SELECTED. Team that will appear on field, ordered by "ROWS": 00 05 09...(EAST/ CENTRAL/ WEST) / 32 team order 00 04 08 0C...(EAST/NORTH/SOUTH/WEST) / 32 team (13=DAL. 17=Min. 1B=Car. 21=Ari.) rom locations start at x3F896 - x3F899...same hex locations as TEAM DATA MENU!

x23CE9 - x23D20 - MINI HELMET coordinates. every helmet uses 2 bytes (Y,X). the X seems to be multiplied by 2 to get the actual placement coordinate **THIS IS BUF-ATL ORDER, first all AFC, then NFC. (***this will also affect the MINI helmets on the TEAM CONTROL screen!) / 32 team rom locations - all NFC WEST teams start at x3F6EF - x3F6F6 (S.F. Stl. Sea. Ari.).

x23E95 - x23ED0 - CURSOR SETUP (X:Y coordinates) Every 2 bytes correspond to a team. First offset "X", and the following the "Y". ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W) / 32 team (Car. Ari.) rom locations start at x3F882 - x3F885.

TEAM CONTROL screen:

x1E345 - x1E362 - TEXT POSITION and pointers (this however is set by Divisions) adjusts position of an entire division on screen.

x325BF - x325D9 - TEAMS ORDER, ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W) Team that will appear on field ordered by "ROWS": 00  05 09...(EAST/ CENTRAL/ WEST) / 32 team order 00 04 08 0C...(EAST/NORTH/SOUTH/WEST) / 32 team (1B=Car. 21=Ari.) rom locations start at x32C63 - x32C64.

x328F3 - x3292E - CURSOR SETUP (X:Y coordinates) Every 2 bytes correspond to a team. First offset "X", and the following the "Y". ordered by "ROWS" (E/ C/ W) / 32 team (Car. and Ari.) rom locations start at x3F886 - x3F889. 

x3292F - x32966 - SKP/MAN/COM/COA TEXT coordinates. First offset "X", and the following the "Y". BUT it is set into Tile-BLOCKS. **THIS IS BUF-ATL ORDER, first all AFC, then NFC. / 32 team rom locations - all NFC WEST teams (S.F., Stl., Sea. and Ari.) start at x32C4B - x32C52.