Youngstown, OH - 07/20/13 - 1st Annual Youngstown Tecmo Tourney

We are still doing round robin to seat the elimination bracket it's going to be an awesome time Hanford well be there about 3-close he said he's going to get a hotel so he's in it for the long haul party with TOP DAWG!

No Mack cannot make it this year had to fly to zona to see his brand new grand baby he said he's in for next year though, btw if anyone is interested in Pregaming tomorrow night at odonolds Irish pub let me know ASAP Kweh I know you may be interested

There were 5 or 6 round robin groups of six players. John "El tecmo" B. drew the groups at random I believe. He recruited former cb brown Hanford Dixon to come by. The games took for ever to get done with because it seemed like 1 guy in the group had 3 games left the end. Im writing of the top of my head but in group play mort, bigmv, red98, tecmophyscho, went 5-0 in group play. Notable games in group play included Mort (dallas) 24 vs Vogtcd (rams) 17. In the buffalo tourney random spelled my doom with this matchup and mort pulled this matchup from his random matchup cards. It was like mort wanted to win to prove its a decent matchup lol. Tecmophyscho (Derek r.) pulled an 13 pt. 2nd half comeback vs laztlain (Jason p. of buffalo ny) 21-20 rams/viks I think,,,,Bigmv Raiders pulled away in a rout over (game was close to 2nd half) Ryan Mckays Chiefs...D.T. of Buffalo Ny won 21-14 over joey Vogt  (tb-sd)....My first game was a tough one I won 21-14 saints/jets both players exchanged fumblerooskie td's...I got the ball last and pulled it out in the 4th....I forgot the guys name. T.K. (of Youngstown. I think) beat Chi w/ his beloved steelers. Chris hendershot was placed in same group with joey Vogt....im not sure want happened in that rivalry game. So we finally got the group play games over with around 5 or 6....Red98 wasted his best played game of the day in a non-console tourney online back-game over bigmv (actually the elite tsb tourney back game..tsbgo almost gave us the boot!!!). then before I packed my labtop away some hot chick came up to me and asked me how to play tecmo. she just had have a boyfriend lol...but it was fun showing her how to play. she kicked my ass. 

Mort was upset in rd of 16 (hou/oak not sure of his opponent) His Oilers fumbled twice early and got in hole with his opponent running nicely. ChrisVogt beat his brother matt v. 17-14 (not sure of the teams)....Red98 won first two bracket games but betrayed by the bengals again in a tournanment, I losted to t.k. 7 cin -20 kc....down 0-3 in first half brooks fumbled in the redzone....he gets ball and rob Thomas gets a jj over fulcher...I forgot how use a lb4 and im down 0-10 half. he gets ball at 2nd half I hold him to fg down 0-13....2mins left 3rd....I passed for a first then ripped of a huge run 60yd td brooks for score b4 the 4th qtr started. But I couldn't get the ball back to mount a comeback drive..I forced him to throw into coverage a couple times but fulcher left his hands at home. he put me away with a barry word curl-timer on pass 2 shoty curls on called play on 3rd down. I needed that pick. Kweh (Russel of texas) beat d.t.(buffalo ny) on a blocked fg as time expired pitt vs cards. Not sure if I have the teams right I knew d.t. was the cards as  his game tieing attempt long fg was blocked. 24-21. the final four was "vogtcd11" vs "kweh" and "laztlain" vs "d.k". I believe kweh called det-wash vs chris v.....chris passed on beloved skins to take lions. Kweh was up early 10-0 but chris v. scored an td before half. Chris would go on  to win in the second half not sure of the score. The other game Laztlain turned to Mort's Lucky bank of random matchup cards. He drew mia-wash...he's good w/ mia and like chris he loves the skins. However D.k. took the skins and scored long jj to monk over the outstcheteched db oliver for early 7-0 lead. laztlain marched down zipping passes around and scored. 7-7. t.k. next drive he finally got burned for throwing into coverage...laztlain cashed in the int for 14-7 halftime lead. Laz would go on to win...

The stage was set for championship game between Vogtcd11(chris Vogt of Fairfield Ohio) vs Laztlain (Jason P. of Buffalo Ny)(the second graduate of mort's western new York school of tecmo)....John Barhoover had his hired gun Hanford Dixon introduce the players and show the belt for the  winner to viewing faithful on tecmobowl.org...

Jason P. and chose rams/dolphins. chris Vogt chose the rams. And this epic...epic exciting game began between....Chris Vogt (who oftern refers to himself as the dan marino of tecmo) seeking his first championship and laztlain who's been playing for last year or so online and vs me,mort, ragu11 a lot on console. The matchup was a battle tween Vogtcd rushing attack vs Laz' aerial assault.  Laztlain put duper at t.e. and got big pass play on a burner to duper on pro-set to the post on pass3. that set up an td. Chris awnsered w/ a fg set up swift Cleveland gary runs and occasional quick passes. marino was on hitting timing routes...cc's at times...laz stole one of my moves to got a long pass play on arrow trick on r+s pass1. but every time chris V. would answer w/ td drives. Chris took an (21-17 lead) and stopped laz on 4 and out. The game felt like it was over but on 3rd down 7 "gary" coughed up the ball...when chirs just needed a first to burn the clock. Mia recovered the fumble around the 30. Laz got a pass down 1 yard line and it looked like the wr's crossed the goaline. but ruled short of the goaline. Time for 1 play 4th and 1 at the goalline....Laz calls the r+s sweep right but chris calls his play and the drones stop laz short of the goal. chris won  game..and the championship. Congrats Chris...You deserved it buddy!!!!.

ty for john barhoover for putting it on....sorry we couldn't stay for the party....me and mort have unfinished business to take care of lol!!!

1st Vogtcd11

2nd Laztlain

3rd-4th Kweh, T.K.

Edited by red98sethuthut

First of all I would like to thank John for running this tourney, and making it an absolute blast. It was amazing to see John juggle everything and compete at the same time. Hats off the John for getting the the location, the charity foundation, the celebrity guest, the marketing, and a local vintage video game store on board. Odonald's Irish Pub: 6000 Mahoning Ave, Youngstown Ohio 44515,- What a great bar, surrounded with people that really got behind the cause supported the tourney, the players, and actively participated in the event totally awesome people and place to be!  Children with MRDD (Fairhaven Foundation), I talked to the rep from this organization and John couldn't have picked a more worthy cause with people devoting time and funds to children in need, hats off to them for stepping outside the box and joining us. Hanford Dixon was a great addition, very cool guy who really embraced our tecmo community and was a blast to talk to and did a great job with the event and live feeds. Next a vintage game store owner Stone Age Gamer not only supplied at least 6 or 7 Tv's and systems for us to play but had a booth set up with all the games you could ever want for sale at good prices. He also supplied the raffle items and I was actually the first winner of the raffle and i was able to pick from a table of items our course i picked the nes system 2 controllers a zapper, mario/duck hunt and the absolute clincher Tecmo Bowl and TSB brand new in the box never opened!!!!! Last but not least Chris Vogt putting the tourney on the air and making the live feed possible puts the cherry on top, Chris brings so much to the community and this really put the icing on the cake and was just one more thing that made this special. Felt very compelled to write about these things because if you were not there, you could not see these things.

I realize this may come across as a boring post so far but John and this team of great ppl he had all working together really deserve to be noticed in this small manner of a forum post, but for the ppl that attended it was really a special tourney and John did a ridiculous job of pulling out all the stops. This tourney is top caliber and this community needs to embrace it and i would hope that the people from this community do there best to get to Youngstown next year.

The Tournament from my perspective.

Pool play 3-2

Games

Ryan11p vs Vince (1st time guy)- 35-3

Ryan11p vs Jimmy(1st time guy) 48-0 SD vs Den i was Den

Ryan11p vs Randy (1st time guy)17-7 Jets vs Steelers I was Jets

Ryan11p vs Ryan Mckay 24-21 McKay Buffalo vs Giants i was Buffalo

Ryan11p vs Matt Vogt 21-7 Matt Raiders vs Bears I was Bears a fumble td locked this one up for matt

Single Play

Ryan11p vs Jason (1st time guy) 42-0 Det vs TB i was Det

round of 16 game

Ryan11p vs Jason (Laztlain)

Jason picked the cards of this matchup and man i hate the cards lol

R- Was 21

J- Mia 28

1st qtr

Jason gets the ball and slowly drives down the field behind the arm of Marino and takes the lead 7-0 with a short pass

Ryan gets the ball another long drive mixing things up well and scores on a byner run 7-7

2nd qtr

Jason has another long drive behind Marino and scores late on a short pass 14-7

Ryan gets the ball with little time and hits a 100 yd JJ to tie before the half 14-14

3rd qtr

Ryan gets the ball drives down and throws a int around jasons 30ydl

Jason another very long drive is able to score on a marino pass 21-14

Ryan gets the ball drives down this drive on the legs of Byner and a huge cc TD by monk ties it up 21-21

4th qtr

Jason drives down on a slow methodical drive converts some huge 3rd and long plays and a 30 yard pass takes the lead late in the 4th 28-21

Ryan gets the ball with little time throws a long diving catch attempt to Monk, Monk dives but the ball bounces off his hands

I think Jason would agree this was a great fun game that was truly one of the best games of the tourney that wasn't seen on the live feed.

Some credit where credit is due

by now everyone knows mort was knocked out in the round of 16 by a guy named Jimmy in a Steelers Jersey, to be honest i don't know much about him. Talked to him a bit after the tourney, He was a local guy that played with a chip on his shoulder and did awesome. Jimmy did not have a easy pool either and went 4-1 I believe not a 100% sure about that. The game with mort was going on behind me while i was playing jason but i will say in defense of Mort and with the purpose of giving up mad props to Jimmy. Jimmy is very good he uses a tricky play book and does things that are very unconventional to me, ( I am not the most experienced so take that for what its worth)

Jimmy and mort was a Raiders vs Houston matchup, Jimmy was the raiders and from what i saw he used a 3 shot gun play playbook and threw to win the game, i believe he was able to get a TO and had mort playing from behind but either way this unknown local guy did not play like a unknown. Jimmy from Youngstown is a legit guy who played well in every game. Hopefully he will get online and join our community but Mort wasn't beaten by some scrub he was beaten by a good player that's for sure.

Jason played this guy in the round of 8 and went into that game knowing he could not give Jimmy a QB. Jason won on a SEA vs Pats matchup with Jimmy taking Seattle.

So either way take it easy on Mort and watch out for Jimmy

Conclusion:

2 huge highlights for me

2. My game with Jason was my best game I ever played in, and a real honor to be able to play such a great player and person in a game of that nature. For those who only know him by Laztlain online the person behind the name is incredible just a great guy.

1. Seeing Chris Vogt win this tourney was a huge highlight for me, it felt like watching the 97 super bowl and seeing Elway win his first. Him playing Jason was tough both guys are great but it was just awesome to see Chris get this done. Chris had a very tough road too, he was part of the hardest pool I have every seen at first

his pool: Chris V, Mort, Kevin Hine, John El Tecmo, then 2 local guys who were really good players but 1st time guys.

Chris had then get through Matt Vogt and a on fire Khew only to face Jason who was playing excellent with Miami and had won 2 game in the single bracket at that point.

Edited by Ryan11p