TSB #1 Sports Game - ESPN

DFM

ESPN ranks sports games again and TSB is first (again) to no one's surpise! They talk to an original dev, Hideshia Yamaguchi, and also Tiger Woods!

5b1J.jpg

Totally awesome. I'm surprised that Madden allows any form of ESPN promoting another game as "#1", whether it's in a highly publicized area of ESPN's media outlets or not. You'd think with all of the commercial / promotional deals that ESPN / EA have, there would be at least some kind of gentleman's agreement that ESPN only promote Madden as the top sports gaming franchise. I love that this is not the case. I also love that for the next five-to-ten years, the people who are in control of the promotional content pushing jobs in sports media outlets are also largely the babies of the 80s, who grew up on TSB before anything else. It's true, we are living in the golden age of TSB retro playing. Enjoy it while it lasts, gents!

well, thanks to Knobbe's (this and its former glory knobbe.org) site, the online league sites that Knobbe fostered, all the cool hacks of TSB, the "Madison madness" thanks to Holzbauers, the other tournaments popping up everywhere, late 80s/early 90s nostalgia, some of the best NFL players ever...probably one the best "games" of all time - easy to learn, hard to master.

heck yeah

BTW, Hideshia Yamaguchi isn't listed in the credits in TSB.

also, funny that this "dev" believes that HP matters for MAN v MAN (mentioning a "precise hard tackle" vs Okoye).  poser?

Edited by buck

You're damn right it's the best sports video game of all time.  Best game of all time, period.

TSB is the only video game I've played in the past two years and one of only a handful of games I've played in the past 10.  To be honest, I don't even f*cking like video games, yet I'm addicted to this one.  That proves how good it is.

I found this part interesting and it definitely explains some of the odd or questionable attribute ratings.

"The development staff were all football fans, so each member's favorite player and rating points were different. There were always "battles" taking place among the staff when setting these types of parameters to make sure their favorite player would have an advantage over the others.

"We did try our best to be objective in our settings, so there were a lot of times we skipped over each team member's personal preferences, but I think I can say that each member of the development team poured their passion into this game.

Yea, I don't think he is specifical

also, funny that this "dev" believes that HP matters for MAN v MAN (mentioning a "precise hard tackle" vs Okoye).  poser?

He never mentioned that the tackle had to be MAN v MAN...

I don't think is referring specifically to man vs man either.

It is pretty cool to read about the insight of removing a player's significance to have the ratings take over more.

Hideshia Yamaguchi says "I believe there are some users that are still enjoying the game to this day."

Has he seen this site?  Does he have any idea the following the game still has?

I am not sure how would we know if he has seen this site. 0_o

Tecmo Bowl's brand is near an all-time high of pop appeal because of the age bracket we all fall into. For him to even acknowledge it shows that he is aware.

The link didn't work for me.  Do you have a different one that would work?

The article was posted early and they subsequently pulled it....not sure when it's actually supposed to be published.

I interpreted that as saying Okoye will popcorn drones unless they dive.

Yea, I don't think he is specifical

I don't think is referring specifically to man vs man either.

It is pretty cool to read about the insight of removing a player's significance to have the ratings take over more.

I interpreted that as saying Okoye will popcorn drones unless they dive.

sorry, guy.  but, I still don't interpret it that way.   "... we balanced their skill set so they would knock back any defensive player that just touches them, but could be stopped with a single, precise hard tackle."