Most Balanced TSB Super Bowl Matchups

I wanted to know which matchups you think would be the most evenly balanced from prior Super Bowl matchups.  A few of us at the next NY meetup are going to be playing these prior Super Bowl matchups using Tecmo teams.

For example, the Giants and the Patriots played in Super Bowls 42 and 46, but on the Tecmo gridiron, that would be a very lopsided Tecmo matchup.  Super Bowl 45 would be a more balanced matchup (Packers vs. Steelers).

Which matchups do you think would be good matchups?

In case you need to jog your memory about Super Bowl participants: http://mcubed.net/nfl/sb.shtml

I don't know NES TSB as well as I do TSB III, but I gave this some thought, and I think these are the viable matchups:

SB IV: Chiefs-Vikings

SB VII, XVII: Dolphins-Redskins
SBVIII: Dolphins-Vikings
SB X, XIII, XXX: Steelers-Cowboys

SB XI: Raiders-Vikings

SB XIV: Steeelers-Rams
SB XV: Raiders-Eagles

SB XVIII: Raiders-Redskins

SB XXII: Redskins-Broncos

SB XXV: Giants-Bills

SB XXXIV: Rams-Titans (Oilers)

SB XXXVII: Buccaneers-Raiders

SB XLIII: Steelers-Cardinals

SB XLIV: Saints-Colts

SB XLV: Packers-Steelers

Not sure about Broncos-Falcons (Super Bowl XXXIII), and I could be off on all of this.

Edited by deadfaulkner

I don't know NES TSB as well as I do TSB III, but I gave this some thought, and I think these are the viable matchups:

Not sure about Broncos-Falcons (Super Bowl XXXIII), and I could be off on all of this.

I think most of the matchups you've mentioned are reasonable except a few. The Raiders vs the Vikes, Bucs, and Skins are heavy in the Raiders favor. The Vikes have the D to get a stop or 2 against Bo and company, but lack some offensive punch to keep up. The Bucs Oline would be a huge liability against Long and company. The Skins might be best suited in the matchup with their Oline and playmakers, but without a usable runstopper at LB, it may be difficult to contain Bo with D. Green alone.

Also, the Saints vs Colts matchup is terrible. I'd take any team over the Colts, and the only somewhat fair matchup with them is NE. The Saints are heads and shoulders better than the Colts in all three phases of the game.

Narrowing this list down, I think the best of the bunch are Chiefs-Vikings, Dolphins-Redskins, Dolphins-Vikings, Steelers-Cowboys, Steelers-Rams, Raiders-Eagles, Redskins-Broncos, Giants-Bills. Steelers-Cowboys played each other 3 times so this should definitely be played. Raiders-Eagles and Giants-Bills are my personal favorites.

Yeah, it's hard to find matchups that are almost perfectly even.  Raiders vs. Vikings is definitely an edge to the Raiders, but not as much as you'd think, since the Vikings match up pretty well against them in areas where the Raiders lack.  When comparing the Raiders to a team like the Bucs, who as mentioned have the worst OL to deal with that Raiders DL, it's a no-brainer.  Haddix is always a factor to consider, but the gap is too wide.

As for the Steelers vs. Rams, I'd pick Rams almost every time, but again, the Steelers might have just enough offense against that weak D and just enough defense to stop that potent Rams passing attack.

Rams vs. Oilers is interesting since the Rams are pretty much the Oilers-lite.