Centralia, WA - 6/30/13 - The 2nd Annual Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship (PNWTC-2)

manYo

Okay, well tournament format as presented looks like how we'll roll this year.  I think we'll push forward with the dice roll matchups as described, no vetos or PHX/DAL tokens and the like.  But if the majority (or just a lot) of people express to me a desire for a veto rule of some sort (perhaps both players have to veto), then I won't be a dick about it, that'll be fine.  I would prefer not though, personally, just because I'd like to see how it all plays out.  The Regionals / Finals format will probably be about the same, but might change in someway once numbers start to look more solid in a few weeks.

I do regret to inform everyone that gonickmontana will not be attending this year's event, so looking like 14 players at this time.  Fewer players, to be sure, but talent level will not be diluted, also to be sure.  I have had no chance to advertise in physical locations, but maybe some last ditch efforts in that department will scoop up a few more, we'll see.  I'll do what I can, but I've got a heavy work load next 2 weeks.  Fancy free after that though.

Those who have signed up but not paid yet, please consider doing so within the next few weeks.  Info on the website.  Mahalo.

Hey Many.......If you think the number of players should be more, you could alwayz invite some noobs!!!  There's not a lot of things in life funner than givin' some young rookie punks some classic oldschool beatdowns!!!.......Put a come one come all sign in the bar where it's takin' place, and hang some around the neigborhoods around the bar......If you build it, they will come!!! (Field of Dreams referance)

Well I know TB and I will be taking breaks, and we won't be the only ones. Sucks about your commute but a sprint tournament rushing everyone isn't fun for most.

^^^AGREED!!!!!  I need time to reflect on my GREATNESS!!!!!!!!!!!  Ha hA Ha!!!!!!!!  .....................Don't worry Randy...you'll have time to look at your medal around yo neck for the last time, and sip on your Gerber baby juice too.

Hey Kamp..........Chalky got a message 4 ya........He says that next time, Neal Anderson won't have 3 fumbles, and basically "Yo A$$ is HIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".........Ha hA Ha!!!  Thats' the spirit!!!!!!!  I just thought I'd relay that to ya...........Ha hA Ha!!!

Bring it

That's prob just cuz they gots to "clahr-ify" things, so on so forth........ they're from Alabama, after all.

So, to clarify our little PNW tourney, and to summarize an e-mail I sent out this morning:

We really only got 14 players signed up (but Teddy mentioned a few others I believe), but what we lack in numbers will be made up for in quality, to be sure, as we soon will crown the 2nd annual Pacific Northwest Tecmo Champion.  Unless there's a mad rush of sign-ups in the next week or so, the format will change in this way:

• REGULAR SEASON (10:00 am--1:30 pm): will consist of a swiss-format of round robin.  I will loosely seed players for the first round, and then the computer will determine the matchups for each successive round, based on their performance so far, with winners playing winners, losers playing losers, and so on.  Basically matching up similar players throughout, is the goal.  So, if the number of participants stays at 16 or less, I'll have 4 TVs ready to go, which means 8 people playing at a time.  So you'll have time to eat some food, get yr drink on, watch other players, check out the sidewalk, etc.  I think we can get 4 rounds in before 1:30, and then the results of the round robin will determine the seeding for the PLAYOFFS.....
  • PLAYOFFS (1:30 pm--6:00pm):  AKA Crunch Time (cue playoffs music).  A good thing about low numbers is that everyone is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, seeding based off the round robin results.  It will be a good old-fashioned double-elimination bracket tournament.  Proceeding until a winner is crowned.

And now introducing.... the PRESEASON: Another "bonus" of sorts for small numbers in the tournament is that I can basically invite anyone that's interested to camp out in our backyard.  I have 2 spots I can potentially use, but either way there would be plenty of room, tents or RVs..... hell, I have plenty of tents to go around actually, lots of equipment, cooking gear, etc.  If you just brought a sleeping bag, would be fine!  Firepit, basketball, wiffle ball, swimming pool, etc., and of course some Tecmo action as well!  The only price of admission would be BYOB.  I extend this invite for both the nights of June 29 and 30.  I don't have work, so it's all fine for me.  Would be fun.  Show up anytime June 29.  Just let me know if you're interested.

Okay, I would really like to start getting some more entry fees in por favor ($20).  You can send it via pay-pal to [email protected].  Some of you said you don't do the paypal thing, which is fine, but all I ask is that you seek me out and give me the money when you get there so I don't have to hassle you for it..... too much to think about on the day of tourney, as is.  So do me that solid, we'll be fine.

Mahalo.  MANYO

Manyo! A 2 day tecmo CAMPOUT!!! Count me in (pending bosses approval of course.) I probably wont stay the night as the drive isn't that far for me, but...HELL YEAH.

And as for the paypal thing, I sorry, I forget. Reminders on AIM will catch me in the moment and i"ll knock it out then.

PEACE

Sounds good kamp. 

And now, in the spirit of things, I bring some news that I'm sure will cause TB King to rejoice, and have decided to open up the team match-up selection just a bit, and allowed for some VETO and CHOICE addendums, as follows:

Team and Controller Selection: 

• MATCH-UP ROLL: Each player rolls one of the dice located at each of the TV game stations.  The top player on the bracket is considered "Die #1," and the bottom player on the bracket is "Die #2."  The result of the dice roll (using the combo of the two dice, in order: #1/#2) will correspond to one of the 36 predetermined matchups (see the matchups here: PNWTC Matchups).  VETO RULE: If BOTH players consent, they may re-roll for a new matchup.  CHOICE RULE: If BOTH players consent, they may choose one of the 36 predetermined matchups. 
  • TEAMS ROLL: Then, the players roll again, and the player with the HIGHEST NUMBER (roll again to break ties) gets their choice of either TEAM or CONTROLLER-SIDE.  If they choose team, the other player chooses their controller-side; if they choose controller-side, the other player chooses their team.  CHOICE RULE: Once the matchup has been determined, players may choose their respective teams if there is mutual agreement by both players.  In that event, they would roll for controller-side (highest number chooses controller-side).

One other unofficial rule is that if randy starts whining about the matchups or teams, do not give in.  :razz: 

I'm planning on the Mac and Jack approach, so I'm sure all this will need to be splained to me in the moment. Just line them up for me to play, don't care who or with who. BRING EM ON!

So to sum it up, i will be taken advantage of like a cheap lady of the night on Aurora Ave

Here, I can simplify part of it for you: If you play TB King, you are DAL and he is PHX.

Unless player's have a good idea ahead of time what teams or matchups they are looking for, then I suggest they just roll 'em up to see what they get.

Roll Call, here's who we got so far:

• Joe M. (manyo)
  • Stuart R. (boogiewithstu)
  • Joseph B. (joeyB)
  • Matt G. (gripsmoke)
  • Craig B. (kamphuna)
  • Kyle R. (invaderstar)
  • Teddy B. (sirted)
  • Rudy M. (tailbackking)
  • (chalkywhite)
  • Jake H. (bigverne)
  • Matt F. (???)
  • Ezekiel F. (theprofessor)
  • Randy F. (mr.giGGles)
  • Angelo P. (meatball)

Also, some more info about the Swiss-Style Round Robin for those who like to know..... the website challonge.com has this option for a format, and we'll be using it for this part of the tournament.  Basically, I input the initial seedings (I might just go random, not sure yet), which determines the 1st round matchups.  In the 1st round, if there was 16 people, it would be #1 vs. #9, #2 vs. #10, and so on, if I predetermined the seedings.  Or whatever if I didn't.  Now, you get 1.0 points for a win, 0.5 points for a tie, and 0 points for a loss..... and if you get a bye, if we had an odd number of people, apparently you get 1.0 points as well.  So, once all 1st round matchups are done, it automatically spits out the 2nd round matchups.  The website will match up people who won (1.0 points) with those who won, and people who lost the 1st round (0 points total) with those who lost.  And it will do this all the way through each round, i.e. players are pitted against other players who have done approximately as well (or poorly) as one another.  So that in Round 4, there will probably be a 3.0 vs. a 3.0, which will determine the #1 seed for the Championship tourney, etc.

Throughout Round Robin play, the website will automatically rank the players #1--#?, using the following tiebreakers, which I cannot tweak at all, IN ORDER:

• Total (Swiss) Points of your Opponents (throwing out the top and low scores, apparently);
  • Head-to-Head;
  • Original Seeding (if any). 

So, Tecmo Points Scored, and Tecmo Points Allowed, will not make a difference in this tournament.  Just wins and losses.  The goal is to get 4 Rounds in before 1:30 pm, but if time allows, we can throw in a 5th round, for giGGles.

Here's a link to the Round Robin tournament bracket, although the matchups are not likely to be finalized as such: PNWTC-2 Round Robin (Swiss Format)

And here's a link to the Championship bracket: PNWTC-2 Championship Bracket

Edited by manYo

Here, I can simplify part of it for you: If you play TB King, you are DAL and he is PHX.

Unless player's have a good idea ahead of time what teams or matchups they are looking for, then I suggest they just roll 'em up to see what they get.

Sounds like a plan. You roll em I'll smoke em

I'm planning on the Mac and Jack approach, so I'm sure all this will need to be splained to me in the moment. Just line them up for me to play, don't care who or with who. BRING EM ON!

So to sum it up, i will be taken advantage of like a cheap lady of the night on Aurora Ave

Is Aurora Ave where all the Centrailia chipshots hang out????????  Ha hA Ha!!!!!!!!  Lets invite some to the Tourney!!!  Ha hA Ha!!!!!

Is Aurora Ave where all the Centrailia chipshots hang out????????  Ha hA Ha!!!!!!!!  Lets invite some to the Tourney!!!  Ha hA Ha!!!!!

Aurora Ave is where the ladies of the night patrol north of downtown seatown.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.............Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's JOHNNY!!!!!  And he's comin to hack up anybody in his way!!!  Kamp.........you got payback comin'!!! 

On another note, Johnny Johnson had the Seattle Tournament high with 275 yards rushing, and 5 TD's in one game................I'v been working on my unmatched, already maraculessly fast thumb speed..........My new goal for Johnny is to put up 3 bills & 6 on some poor shmuck.  I'd hate to be the guy who gets Cardinal cleat marks all over his jerzey...........I'm sayin' sorry ahead of time, because I'm goin FULL THROTTLE the whole Tourney.....If my oppoment has 0, and I got 40 by the half, you can bet the scores gonna be 80 ta zipp by the end!!!  This Tourney's once a year...It's for da BIGG BOYZ...If ya get your feelings hurt eazy, I suggest you practice being a man by lookin' yourself in da mirror, and punchin' yourself in the face at least five times!!!  If you don't shed a tear, then your ready for the beat down Johnny's gonna give you and your team!!!  It won't be pretty.....but what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!!!  Ha hA Ha!!!