Updated Original TSB 1991 Rom (NES)

philleyOphish

***UPDATED 4/8/2013.***

My goal on this rom was to simply update the original rom and fix some of the issues, such as broken passing accuracy and using the wrong MS during Kick/Punt returns, correcting names, etc.  This has been a project that I have had for a long time, but for some reason there has been increased intrest in this type of ROM, so I decided to finish it.  Enjoy!

Hacks Installed:

1.) Ability to change your playbook while in a game.

2.) QB Eagles, QB Bills, QB Browns names, numbers and pictures all corrected.

3.) PA/PC Hack: Pass Control = Ability to throw on target, Pass Accuracy = Ability to complete a pass

4.) Touckback Hack: Running out of bounds in the endzone doesn't result in a safety, it's now a touchback.

5.) KR/PR return Hack.  KRs and PRs use their own MS during returns.

NOTES:

Touckback Hack:
Running out of bounds in the endzone doesn't result in a safety....it's now a touchback.
Get tackled in the endzone after a kickoff is no longer a safety...it's now a touchback.
You could still technically after a kickoff, run out of the endzone and back in and it would still be a touchback.
But, I don't forsee that happening often and would never happen by the computer.
It does take away the kickoffs where David Fulcher tears down the field and smashes the KR in the endzone for a safety....that's now a touchback.

POSSIBLE FUTURE HACKS:

1.) Use Quickness for INT and FUMBLE Return MS.

2.) See the Stats at the end of each quarter or half.

3.) Install the "OPTIONS" feature that may have Weather, QTR Length or Juice Mode ON/OFF.

BUGS:

When kicking off very deep, sometimes the COM KR will take a little longer to get to the ball.  This results in the ball bouncing sometimes before picking it up.

TSB 1991 Enchanced.nes

Edited by philleyOphish

Wow, this is fantastic! Great work, just what I have been looking for. I have downloaded it and will start testing it out tonight!

I don't know how to do any of the mods or I would surely help. Here are a few more requests:

- Stat screen displayed at the end of each quarter (its nice to see how your stats are doing throughout the game)

- Change the weather (not sure but I assume this lowers Receptions, Ball Control, INT, and Receptions if it is "raining" ?)

- Change the quarter lengths

These features exist in a ROM file called "NFL TECMO SUPER BOWL XLVI TG.nes" I am sorry I don't remember where I downloaded it from, so I've attached it to this email along with two readme files for reference.

Would be very cool to see all of these features with the original 1991 roster / original game.

I have a few questions, and please don't misunderstand these. I sincerely appreciate the work that has been done to improve such a legendary game. I am simply asking for my own understanding so I apologize in advance if I come across rudely. :)

PA/PC Hack: Pass Control = Ability to throw on target

I've always known PC to mean exactly this: The control of a pass to be thrown on target. In my experience, players with low PC have a tendency to throw wild passes, passes far off the intended receiver. Is this not already the original intent of Tecmo?

Pass Accuracy = Ability to complete a pass

Assuming the pass is thrown on target, doesn't the ability for the pass to be completed rely on the receiver? I understand there are a lot of mechanics involved on both sides of the ball. For instance the QB can throw a ball exactly on target, but it could be a wobbly spiral-less pass that would be difficult for the receiver to catch--despite it being on target. If Tecmo did not intend "pass accuracy" to be the accuracy at which the pass is thrown to the receiver - and thereby maximizing the ability for the pass to be completed, then what was the original intent? Is this a hack that magnifies the receiver's Receptions ability?

Touckback Hack: Running out of bounds in the endzone doesn't result in a safety, it's now a touchback.

the Touchback hack is really cool, only used it once, but saved me for getting the ball at my own 3 yard line.

Did you initially receive the ball in the endzone, and that you'd probably have only made it out to the 3 yd line had you tried, or are you saying you received the ball at the 3 yd line and are able to run backwards and out of bounds in the endzone (which would be a safety).

Okay, after typing that last paragraph I think I see why I am confused: NFL rules a touchback by default if you receive the ball in the endzone and accidentally step out of bounds. However this is not the case with TSB, which charges the return team with a safety, which I believe, is incorrect.

I'll keep watching this thread, again thanks for your work on this, I am very eager to check it out tonight after work!

Regards,

Huusoku

NFL TECMO SUPER BOWL XLVI TG.zip

Wow, this is fantastic! Great work, just what I have been looking for. I have downloaded it and will start testing it out tonight!

I don't know how to do any of the mods or I would surely help. Here are a few more requests:

- Stat screen displayed at the end of each quarter (its nice to see how your stats are doing throughout the game)

- Change the weather (not sure but I assume this lowers Receptions, Ball Control, INT, and Receptions if it is "raining" ?)

- Change the quarter lengths

I do not have the ability to add that at this point.  Maybe in the future.  Seeing stats after each quarter in my opinion is too much.  Maybe at the half.

The weather didn't do much and personally not a fan of changing the quarter length, but doesn't hurt to have the option.

I personally would love to see a "Juice" option in the future that you can turn on and off.

I've always known PC to mean exactly this: The control of a pass to be thrown on target. In my experience, players with low PC have a tendency to throw wild passes, passes far off the intended receiver. Is this not already the original intent of Tecmo?Assuming the pass is thrown on target, doesn't the ability for the pass to be completed rely on the receiver? I understand there are a lot of mechanics involved on both sides of the ball. For instance the QB can throw a ball exactly on target, but it could be a wobbly spiral-less pass that would be difficult for the receiver to catch--despite it being on target. If Tecmo did not intend "pass accuracy" to be the accuracy at which the pass is thrown to the receiver - and thereby maximizing the ability for the pass to be completed, then what was the original intent? Is this a hack that magnifies the receiver's Receptions ability?

Long story short, PA or "Accuracy of Passing" on the attribute screen does nothing in the original ROM.  We believe it was supposed to be tied to something, but maybe because of time constraints, was never used.

See more information here:

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9494-nes-pc-and-pa/

Did you initially receive the ball in the endzone, and that you'd probably have only made it out to the 3 yd line had you tried, or are you saying you received the ball at the 3 yd line and are able to run backwards and out of bounds in the endzone (which would be a safety).

Okay, after typing that last paragraph I think I see why I am confused: NFL rules a touchback by default if you receive the ball in the endzone and accidentally step out of bounds. However this is not the case with TSB, which charges the return team with a safety, which I believe, is incorrect.

See new wording on the touchback hack.

Awesome work!

I am interested in importing a playbook from another rom onto the original. When uploading it through TSB Playmaker it goes through just fine but on some Run3 & Run4 the name appears wrong on the play select screen. In the rom i borrowed it from it isn't like that. The rom is a 32 team rom vs. an original 28 team rom. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!

Awesome work!

I am interested in importing a playbook from another rom onto the original. When uploading it through TSB Playmaker it goes through just fine but on some Run3 & Run4 the name appears wrong on the play select screen. In the rom i borrowed it from it isn't like that. The rom is a 32 team rom vs. an original 28 team rom. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!

hhmmm.  I'm not sure.  You might want to look around the playbook threads and search around a little bit.  See if you can find someone that's posting with some good TSB Playbook knowledge and message them.  They might be able to shed some light on the problem that you are having.

Awesome work!

The reason why this is happening is because you're likely using a playbook that was edited to have passing plays in the run slots, and vica versa. So, either only the graphics need to be changed (RB player names) or play slots themselves need to be redefined. All of this information (in different threads) is covered in the hacking documentation main thread.

Here's a quick link to some info: http://tecmobowl.org/topic/52877-changing-offensive-play-slots-pass-to-run-and-vice-versa/

Thank you.. so in short which program should I use to do this? The playmaker tool that i used? or a hex program? Sorry to be a bit on the dull side of this. It's amazing I've gotten this far with this editing stuff. Although the basics are pretty easy to use in TSB Supreme.

All Hex.

Thank you.. so in short which program should I use to do this? The playmaker tool that i used? or a hex program? Sorry to be a bit on the dull side of this. It's amazing I've gotten this far with this editing stuff. Although the basics are pretty easy to use in TSB Supreme.

• 2 months later...

yo, I am/was going to do a rom just like this -my differences would be:

1. swapping PC for PA, that is PC = completion/int and PA = target.  it makes more sense to me with the way the original QBs are rated vs '90 stats.

2. I would add Quickness as Turnover Return speed.

3. player 2 condition indication fix

4. maybe not rename QB Bills, etc...but that's not a big deal

Edited by buck

I am half way through the season with the Bucs and Haddix has already intercepted 7 passes and returned three for TDs, one which was 94 yards!!

I tell you what, this alone has made the game more interesting and very exciting for me. In the past I have modified every player on my defense to have Mark Carrier's 81 INT (yes including my defensive linemen) and at the end of the season the one player with the most interceptions only had 3. I am very passionate for defensive backs because I started at corner back in high school football and my favorite aspect of Football is the science of defending the pass -- yet in all my years of playing TSB I've NEVER had a player finish first place in INTs for a season. But thanks to philleyOphish I have a chance!

In fact one reason why I chose to test this ROM with the Bucs is because I can test the PA/PC hack on both offense and defense: Haddix to test INTs and Mr Testaverde only has a PA of 44 so I should notice this on offense. And sure enough: One thing I noticed right away is that whenever Testaverde is hurried, his pass is either thrown off target or bounces right off the receiver, even for button hook patterns where the receiver is standing still and wide open. ...and the very poor offensive line of the Bucs only adds to the chaos! I REALLY like this because it more simulates human-to-human matches in my opinion. Usually if I've got a Computer defender rushing my QB I wait until the last moment to avoid the sack and usually throw the ball on the run with great passing success. Now, if I wait for my QB to be flushed, the possibility for a pass completion is faaar lower. This means that I have to respect the rush and rethink my passing game to shorter out patterns and quicker releases from the QB, which is how I play against human oppoents.

The third thing I'd like to comment on which I mentioned above briefly is the Quickness for INT hack. MAN oh MAN this is just great. This is what the game needs. If you have a really fast DB and he intercepts the ball at his opponents 5 yard line, you'd expect him to have a good chance at returning it to the house just like you'd expect a star RB running a 95 yd TD run: That's why they get paid the big bucks. But this rarely if almost never happens. But thanks to this Hack it does! So far the shortest INT return Haddix has is around 15 yards and only because I was still adjusting to how awesome this is! It completely adds a new element to the game -- an element where having the best defender can change the game by scoring a TD with only seconds remaining. This type of big time play making for a DB exists in real life so it is such a refreshing addition to the game! I also have a lot more confidence in my DB's if my opponent has a poor passing attack, which I believe is more proper than the original ROM.

Thank you very much philleyOphish! This is just awesome!!

The only thing missing in my little opinion is seeing stats, at least at half time. The SNES version of the game does this and I think its a nice touch.

As for the KR/PR Touch back feature, I have yet to use this because I like the challenge of the return. But as the seasons gets harder I guarantee in a close game I will be using it ha ha! One thing to note is that if your opponent has a slow Right Tackle and Kick Returner, then the Kick Returner will not make it to the ball to receive a full strength Kick Off until the ball bounces around a few seconds. The bad thing about this is that it's a double whammy: 1) The team's Kick Returning performance is already poor, and 2) They basically loose a few seconds of return time. So the coverage team is able to get the Kick Returner down within his own 5 yrd line and I suspect if you play a team with a strong special team then you may get safeties every time you kick off. To adjust for this, I am simply kicking shorter kicks which is no big deal at all because I'll likely intercept the ball anyway and have a HUGE smile on my face! ha ha

Regards,

Huusoku

Edited by Huusoku

I'm glad you are enjoying the Rom. It's funny because I wanted to create a rom that made simple "fixes" to the original. Even though I think I got as close as I could with my limited knowledge of hacking....I still play the original more than anything. I find myself enjoying some of the quirks that the game has. But I'm glad you like it. I still need to fix that kick return bug on how the guy sometimes lets the ball bounce first. It's an easy fix. I just don't know how.

Maybe I'll check it out again tonight and see what I can do. Thank you for your enthusiasm and awesome feedback. We need more guys like you around.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a few updates!

It's been a busy summer but that hasn't distracted me from finishing up my first regular season with this terrific ROM!

Being able to alter the playbook has been a huge advantage towards the end of the season, as I need more short dump routes due to my horrible OL of the Bucs.

Here comes my report:

Issue #1:

I threw two INTs so far, and when the opposing team intercepts the ball, two things have happened: ( a ) Either the ball is whistled dead despite the interceptor still on his feet, or ( b ) there is a magical invisible reverse lateral pass and suddenly a defensive player at the opposite sideline has the ball, and despite still running to return the INT with defenders blocking the way, the play is whistled dead. In the case of ( b ), when the opposing team's offense comes out to take advantage of the turnover, the line of scrimmage has been relocated back to the spot of the magical reverse lateral instead of the spot where the ball was originally intercepted.

Issue #2:

This is similar to above: When the defense recovers a fumble, the play is either whistled dead despite the defender still on his feet and running, or a magical lateral is done, suddenly a defender far away from the original spot of the fumble has the ball, the play is whistled dead even though he is still running, and the line of scrimmage is moved back further back than the original spot of the fumble/recovery. One time this happened right as I was trying to run in a 3rd and goal, a defender recovered at about his 5 yrd line, and get this, suddenly a defender in the endzone ended up with the fumble recovery and I was instantly awarded a safety!!

Issue #3:

If the opposing team does a fake hand off and the QB rolls out of the pocket, and you run up and begin grappling with the QB, but a OL runs over and throws you off the QB before you've tackled him, the QB will turn around 180-degrees, face the wrong direction, and just stand there. He doesn't scramble or pass the ball, just waits to get tackled.

That's all I've got for now! LOVE this ROM! It exposes the weakness of inferior teams and adds a much needed level of difficultly when playing against strong teams!

Regards,

Huusoku

Edited by Huusoku