Japan vs USA

gamingtrucker1

Looking over my Tier 2 teams schedules.  Denver is a 2 home 3 road team.  That doesn't look so good now.

@ NYG  @ WSH and @ Raiders

Colts and Vikes at home.  I think they could hang with Indy anywhere, but if there was 2 teams in the pool they want to play at home I would say its the Giants and Skins.  LT and the Redskins defense will likely be too much.  

Raiders 3-home 2-road schedule

@49ers and @Cowboys

Vikes, Browns, and Colts at home.  

The swing game with Browns at home is really nice, BUT ideally you'd want to swap SF and MIN.  MIN is going to win that game if its on Mars, so preferably you'd want SF at home there.  Indy sucks and is a win either place, as is Dallas.  It was almost the perfect schedule, but LA still can play with SF in Candlestick.  

Seahawks 2-home 3-road

@Bears, @ Dolphins @ Browns

Japan SF at home and Cowboys.

Well, never mind.  The best and worst teams in the pool at home.  The middle 3 on the road, along with the 2 big swing games(CLE/MIA)

Seattle is probably screwed here.

Well schedule says 0 for 3 here, with LA almost getting it right.  Hard to say now what tier 2 teams might surprise.

Pool 4 aka West region

SF  USA 3-2

MIN  Japan 2-3

CLE Japan 2-3

LA  USA 3-2

DAL  Japan 3-2

IND  Japan 2-3

i see SF USA and MIN Japan going at it.I go with 4-1 records for each.DAL Japan goes 0-5 i really dont see them getting a W.IND Japan is 1-4 beating DAL.Leaving CLE with a 3-2 record losing to SF and MIN but getting by everyone else.LA USA 2-3 losing some close games.SF USA has the best offense in this region,MIN has best D

Dude, remember back in the day when you had those fixed playbook carts?  I still got mine.  I remember the defense reactions were all wrong at times, but it was still a very cool glimpse into the future.  I remember my buddy seeing his top WR was wide open for LA, then as he threw the ball the bottom DB came across the screen to get into computer controlled coverage and picked him off.   He was furious. 

Spent a little time tonight getting the Gamecube set up to record our Tecmo games onto VCR for instant replay on disputed plays, and then also onto the DVD recorder.  The DVD's are a higher quality than the VHS tapes.  Ive got a few videos online and VHS quality is kind of grainy.  

My dvd recorder lets me stop recording, then I can begin again on the same disc like a VHS tape.  However when we want to do a quick video replay, its a long process of writing the info to the disc, then going through the chapters trying to find the dang play that just happened.  So pausing the DVD recorder and then doing a quick VCR play back works best.

Documenting this stuff here so I can access it when on the road at a buddies house.  Game Cube AV cables into VCR.  From there coax into DVD recorder.  AV cables from DVD recorder to TV.  I had to go up 1 channel on the VCR to show the display of everything.

I did the test run of recording some footage, then I finalized the disc which makes it so it will play in other DVD players.  The 2 hour mode really seemed to give me about 95% of the original signal.  Looked real good on the TV.  A week of tecmo(6 games) comes in at right around 2 hours, and the 2 hour mode on the DVD recorder is actually about 2 hours and 10 minutes.       

if you can convert the files u want to burn to dvd into a iso format, enable virtual drive in poweriso then mount the image in the virtual drive. hope this helps. by doin this you can watch the iso like a dvd disc but without having to burn it :)

Dude, remember back in the day when you had those fixed playbook carts?  I still got mine.  I remember the defense reactions were all wrong at times, but it was still a very cool glimpse into the future.  I remember my buddy seeing his top WR was wide open for LA, then as he threw the ball the bottom DB came across the screen to get into computer controlled coverage and picked him off.   He was furious. 

:cry: Yeah i still got a fixed playbook cart.I knew once i sold you a copy it would get picked apart.I never knew  bad the defensive reactions where till you told me. 

I'm confused.. why is this a Japan vs USA?

Why are some black players white (ie Clarence Verdin for IND)? Why are names spelled wrong (ie. Kelvin "not Relvin" Martin (not 50 cent) for Dallas)? Were there two different versions of Tecmo Bowl? 1 for the US and 1 for Japan that had different players?

can someone enlighten me?

edit: also, is this a game glitch or should i be able to run through engaged players like they aren't even there?

Edited by Mazurati

I'm confused.. why is this a Japan vs USA?

Why are some black players white (ie Clarence Verdin for IND)? Why are names spelled wrong (ie. Kelvin "not Relvin" Martin (not 50 cent) for Dallas)? Were there two different versions of Tecmo Bowl? 1 for the US and 1 for Japan that had different players?

can someone enlighten me?

edit: also, is this a game glitch or should i be able to run through engaged players like they aren't even there?

Yes there was one released in the US and a different roster release for japan. The other ?=No.

Yes there was one released in the US and a different roster release for japan. The other ?=No.

Did you make this Tecmo Bowl ROM that they are trading back and forth?

In the category of "why we play the game", Japan San Francisco faced off with the feeble Japan version Dallas.  Wen't down to the wire.  49ers had to keep the Cowboys out of the endzone late in the game.  A Cowboy field goal tied it up at 10.  The 49ers quickly torched the defense and got a field goal at the gun winning 13-10.  

Dixon of Dallas had a big kick return that resulted in a TD.   The general gist of the game was San Fran ripping off 5 yard runs and 10 yard passes all game, and Dallas using a methodical convert as many 3rd downs as possible approach.  The 49ers KILL them 9 times out of 10,(probably 19 out of 20) but last night the Cowboys nearly pulled off the biggest upset we would have seen in roughly 700 games of Tecmo Bowl.   

I need to look closely at Dallas' player ratings.  There was a play that was money last night for Dallas, and I'm trying to figure out why.  Perhaps the game tape will shed some light on whether it was just bad defensive positioning, or if Nate just was on a QB'ing crusade that just fell short in the final moments.

I need to look closely at Dallas' player ratings.  There was a play that was money last night for Dallas, and I'm trying to figure out why.  Perhaps the game tape will shed some light on whether it was just bad defensive positioning, or if Nate just was on a QB'ing crusade that just fell short in the final moments.

Do even need to call run with slow moose johnston back there??Will the game tape be posted??

Do even need to call run with slow moose johnston back there??Will the game tape be posted??

I'll have to put together something on video.  I went into the game thinking I would go vanilla and call shotgun against Dallas most all game.  When Dallas went to pass 1, Charles Haley or Pierce Holt just needs to cover the TE and bottom WR, and eventually get a pick.  Nate did a really good job on Pass 2 of getting my defender to shade towards one receiver or the other, then quickly throwing to the other.  Pretty much mistake free play in those situations most all game.

Johnston surprisingly had a pretty big game.  When the run to the top was called, the computer controlled Ronnie Lott destroyed that play most of the time.   I used a lot of Charley Haley, who is basically the equivalent to Duane Bickett.  I rarely called run, and Charles actually got caught by a block a few times.  I did a bad job of "cattle herding" on a few other run plays as well.  Cattle herding is here you circle around the RB in the back field while avoiding a blocker.  The premise is to get behind the RB and then you have a really good angle to dive.

Didn't have much/any respect for Dallas, and Nate executed what he could with some long time consuming drives.  Didn't hurt Dallas that they were home(Player 1), The previous 5 or so games I was home.  The switch after so long seemed to get me off my game a little.  Dixon also had a big kick return somewhere in the game as well, leading to a short field for Dallas.

In hindsight, I should have just called more pass 2 to really devastate Dallas.  Playing not to lose on defense all game nearly cost me.  

Offensively, despite not scoring a lot of points, it was shooting fish in a barrel.  On one drive I pretty much just ran Roger Craig every play for 5 yards, and would add a juke in for a few longer cut back runs.  Dallas had long drives eating clock, so SF's offensive chances were really limited.    

Did some research on the Japan cowboys.  Michael irvin has a max speed of 6.  Thats probably pretty rare as far as WRs go.  Folsom the TE is a 7.  On pass 1 for dallas it means that when the top WR is covered, the TE will get into his break and slant up and up and up before Irvin finally does basically the same thing on his patteren.

Irvin probably goes a good 4-5 yards further downfield before he cuts up across the field.  While his slow ass is stil runing a go, the TE is headed up near the middle, and then to the top of the field, and it creates a pretty good sized hole in the defense.  From there is was pretty much an easy pitch and catch for Nate to do with Aikman and Folsom.  Once or twice i tried to cheat up there and shade towards the TE, and Nate just cycled once to Irvin for a good 8 yard pass.

Its not really revolutionary stuff here, and we really haven't used Japan Dalas much over the years.  I will say that it gives their offense a little more bite and perhaps they can be more of a pesky team to beat if they can get that pass 1 working.       

• 2 weeks later...

Drummer, or jstout, or whomever can answer this, I assume this ROM was based off the 32-team ROM that jstout did for us...do you have the info on how to fix the pat beach play?  I want to incorporate that into the 2014 ROM for this year...

• 2 weeks later...

Here they are......

Bears as player 1 have black pants/helmet and grey jersey.  Bears as player 2 are their traditional black pants/helmet and white jersey.

Colts as player 1 have traditional white pants/helmet and blue jersey.  Colts player 2 was all white.

The all white kinds sucks, but these new color combos are really good.  

other teams....

Dallas P1 in Grey pants/helmet with Blue jersey.  Road is in traditional grey pants/helmet and white jersey.

Seahawks P1 with traditional pink jersey and white pants/helmet.  P2 is all white

Redskins P1 is traditional red pants/helmet and white jersey.  P2 is the exact same.  The 1st screw up Ive found so far.

Dolphins P1 is traditional white pants/helmet and aqua jersey.  P2 is all white.

Vikings P1 is their pinkish purple pants/helmet and deep purple jersey.  Vikings P2 is their traditional pinkish purple pants/helmet and white jersey

Browns P1 is Black jersey and their traditional orange pants/helmet.  Browns P2 is the traditional orange pants/helmet and white Jersey.

Broncos P1 is the traditional blue pants/helmet and orange jersey.  Broncos P2 is blue pants/helmet and white jersey

49ers P1 is traditional gold(?) pants/helmet and red jersey.  49ers P2 is gold pants/helmet and white jersey.  The gold is kind of hard to see as it blends with the white.

Old post, I know, but I thought I'd clarify. Te alternate unis are a holdover from the 32-team ROM. E road team wears the alternat uniforms. So, for teams like Arizona, I often gave them white helmet/pants and a real light red for the jerseys. Enough to break up the white but still very subtle.

You'll see it in my 2013 ROM.

• 3 weeks later...