Fairfield, OH - 07/27/13 - 2013 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

vogtcd11

I love that video! Thanks to Chris and AJ for putting on another great tournament. #MWTecmo gets better, bigger, and deadlier each year. Congrats to Matt for taking the trophy.

From my perspective, I was thrilled to make the Final Four again (missed out last year), and to win a game in the lion's den that was the Best of the Best. The Tecmo gods shined upon me throughout the tourney. My two losses on the day were to Chet and Regulator, and i can live with that.

Once you downed that half beer and said, u win....I said bullshit, get me a full one! 

This actually happened? That is fricken hilarious!

Another live success.... you notice the only people who dog the events are the ones who don't show..... surprise

TsbGod and MrT are expert trolls. They should host a Tecmo-based version of “First Take.” MrT somehow turned a joke about Fairfield, who many of us don’t even know and have no problem with, and used it to call us scumbags and question our ability to parent. You’ve really got to hand it to him—that is “Skip Bayless creative.”

p.s. Nothing slanderous occurred. But I’m just an attorney, so what do I know. 

The Fairfield thing was funny. No one bashed him as a person, I really dont see why people are getting so upset over it, it that happened to me I would just roll with it. And it seems like everyone that is complaining about this wasn't even there! All in all it was a great event, I'll def go back!!!!

This actually happened? That is fricken hilarious!

TsbGod and MrT are expert trolls. They should host a Tecmo-based version of “First Take.” MrT somehow turned a joke about Fairfield, who many of us don’t even know and have no problem with, and used it to call us scumbags and question our ability to parent. You’ve really got to hand it to him—that is “Skip Bayless creative.”

p.s. Nothing slanderous occurred. But I’m just an attorney, so what do I know. 

mrt is a joke but tsb god makes good points. u are not as good as people lead u to beleive sorry to break ur bubble. i watched u and u are a very good player but u are a great player at abusing matchups on the original rom. u throw jjs and play solid de no different then anyone else, but u are  a super fast tapper so that helps your hand alot. but overall u are definitely not a GOD but probably the best at the original rom, which aint saying much to onliners like myself since we hate that rom

mrt is a joke but tsb god makes good points. u are not as good as people lead u to beleive sorry to break ur bubble. i watched u and u are a very good player but u are a great player at abusing matchups on the original rom. u throw jjs and play solid de no different then anyone else, but u are  a super fast tapper so that helps your hand alot. but overall u are definitely not a GOD but probably the best at the original rom, which aint saying much to onliners like myself since we hate that rom

Then why play Tecmo Super Bowl?  you wouldn't have online leagues without the creation of the original game.  Throw a live tournament with a hacked rom and see how many people attend.  You know I used to "back" online players for the longest time, but people like you are ruining it.  At what point is he claiming he is a god?  Tap, tap, tap, cry, cry, cry.  You didn't see matty v complaining about the tap game in his final two games were he would lose 99% of them.  He adjusted and he won.  You didn't see Chet or Kyle whine about losing.  They were both class and congratulated Matt.  People have a first amendment right (both sides) and I understand that, but he has the resume.  I could say that online players utilize the lag, foreign controllers, hacked roms, so they can feel better about themselves when making posts like this.   

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

mrt is a joke but tsb god makes good points. u are not as good as people lead u to beleive sorry to break ur bubble. i watched u and u are a very good player but u are a great player at abusing matchups on the original rom. u throw jjs and play solid de no different then anyone else, but u are a super fast tapper so that helps your hand alot. but overall u are definitely not a GOD but probably the best at the original rom, which aint saying much to onliners like myself since we hate that rom

If it wasn't for Guys like Holzy, Mort and the Vogt brothers this game would have died a long time ago the brought the hype back and just like psycho said you would have the Roms with updated rosters and such I'm a horrible tecmoer but I love getting together with these fine folks and yes they are all very good at what they do, they all win with class/grace and lose with the same! Chet beat me 30-0 in pool play he prolly could have boost his stats way more than that but didnt he's a class act! Hate the orig game or not you still have to respect it!

Then why play Tecmo Super Bowl?  you wouldn't have online leagues without the creation of the original game.  Throw a live tournament with a hacked rom and see how many people attend.  You know I used to "back" online players for the longest time, but people like you are ruining it.  At what point is he claiming he is a god?  Tap, tap, tap, cry, cry, cry.  You didn't see matty v complaining about the tap game in his final two games were he would lose 99% of them.  He adjusted and he won.  You didn't see Chet or Kyle whine about losing.  They were both class and congratulated Matt.  People have a first amendment right (both sides) and I understand that, but he has the resume.  I could say that online players utilize the lag, foreign controllers, hacked roms, so they can feel better about themselves when making posts like this.   

who said anything about a hack rom? orig rom is trash cause of the de locations and there is not a argument that u can create to make me think different about it.

If it wasn't for Guys like Holzy, Mort and the Vogt brothers this game would have died a long time ago the brought the hype back and just like psycho said you would have the Roms with updated rosters and such I'm a horrible tecmoer but I love getting together with these fine folks and yes they are all very good at what they do, they all win with class/grace and lose with the same! Chet beat me 30-0 in pool play he prolly could have boost his stats way more than that but didnt he's a class act! Hate the orig game or not you still have to respect it!

no doubt. live tournies def have helped online tecmo 100%

That’s nice, Gats. I’m not sure how your post is at all relevant to that which was being discussed, but your analysis of my Tecmo ability couldn’t mean less to me. I’ve never claimed to be some God. Heck, I barely even play Tecmo anymore and acknowledged, just a few months ago, that Reg would soon overtake me. Of course, some of you online guys are already complete pricks to him for the same reason (becuz he’s good) even though he’s actually a really nice guy. You’d know that if you spent 5 minutes talking to him in person.

It’s nice to win these tourneys, yeah, but I’m not on some conquest for world Tecmo domination here. I attend these tournaments because they are a fun and necessary break from reality, a chance to get the competitive juices flowing, and more importantly, a chance to spend time with my brother and friends.

You and others have been taking shots at the competition in these tournaments for years, yet still hypocritically follow the stream all day long. I don’t get it, never will get it, and find it shameful. It's pretty hard to criticize fields that contain the best online players (Reg, Daboy, MV) and the best console players, yet you guys find a way to illegitimize these events and their outcomes. And besides, not everyone is there to win. Remember fun? Only one guy won on Saturday, yet everyone would go back in a heartbeat. You’re pissed for 5-10 minutes after you lose and then realize you’re drinking beer while playing a 23 year-old video game. #perspective

Speaking of perspective, it occurs to me that I’ve reached an all-time low here. I’m in a message board dispute with a couple clowns I have no interest in ever associating with. There are clearly better ways for me to spend my time. Chris, I apologize for whatever role I played in derailing this thread. We should be celebrating what was another fantastic event. I hope these tournaments continue long after I leave the Tecmo scene.  

tumblr_m4qyqve9Up1ql03r9o1_400.jpg

Edited by chino_pino

I've played online 1 game in my life and it was ehhh just okay. It seems fun and all, but I don't see how it can be even close to as much fun as playing in a live tourney. A true champion of Tecmo Super Bowl can only be crowned in live competition. I don't see it any other way.

MidWest VI was a lot of fun. It was quite cool getting to meet all of the top Dawgs in Tecmo Land. I got to play and lose to Mort and got my ass kicked by Regulator in the tournament, who knocked me out in the sweet 16, hang out w/ some cool dudes in their 80's van in the parking lot, met the Vogt brothers and the Holzbauer brothers, and kicked it w/ Fulcher. Everyone was respectful and welcoming. The competition was the best I've seen and def lived up to my expectations. It was great meeting these folks and look forward to my 1st trip to TECMO X in Madison in 2014.

During the Chet vs M. Miller game, the comments from the guy taking bets was priceless.

TecmoDell, you need to post that pic on here of that guy holding the $$$....

who said anything about a hack rom? orig rom is trash cause of the de locations and there is not a argument that u can create to make me think different about it.

If you are talking about moving defensive players that is altering the original game.

Well said Chet.

The smoke that a few blow is really impertinent. The fact remains that until you show up and experience first hand the environment and guys themselves, your opinion holds little value.

Having fun is what these tourneys are about. Last time I checked, that was accomplished each event.

Online Tecmo = Awesome

Live Tecmo = Awesome

Why is there even a debate of which is better? Why can' we enjoy which one we like. If you love Live,Online or both good for you. I think that is great if you enjoy both. Is one better than the other? I would say it depends on the person. I mean me and my brother play live all the time with a couple of friends and family members. That is a lot of fun, but I love playing guys Online too. I really have no problem with Live or Online. If there is ever a Live Tourney in Las Vegas I swear to God MRTECMOSUPERBOWL will be there. Get one in Vegas and I'll be there. 

Ok so Chet summed this up best obviously but I do have a perspective that may helps Gats out, so here goes.......

without the efforts of guys like Chet, Josh, and Chris online wouldn't be what it is, I have gone to 2 tourneys the last 2 weekends and the majority of the new faces that no one knew where there because they saw the documentary on NFL network that was about Chets tourney. Several of those guys in turn start finding the forums and getting involved online, there are several new faces that have come out of youngstown. Bottom line to me is Live Tourneys are vital to the success of the online world, and to me its a near impossible argument.

Now to MRTSB, Randy, and Tecmo God ( I have no problem with these guys and honestly like each of them)

Here is what you cant gauge, the absolute most incredible thing about the live tourney experience that yall seem to forget, don't understand, or just don't realize.

Its the relationships, the bond, the whatever you wanna label it, the thing that you guys will never understand until you actually go to one is that's the good stuff being able to put faces with names, being able to have a face to face conversation, being able to reach out and shake someones hand and drink a beer together that is huge. I will give you prime examples:

where else can i meet Seth Silverblatt, Gerald (Suicide King) and Cricket, 3 great guys i would never get a chance to meet and talk to in person without a live tourney.

I talked to these 3 guys about Alabama, Golf, our Careers, what a great opp to meet guys who were a mystery before.

Putting a face and a person behind Art Vandalay, Luke is a awesome guy awesome player and a blast to hang out with

Tony Orenga met him last year and picked up right where we left off after not seeing or talking to one another in over a year

Jon Jones (Daboy) Having a 30 min conversation with Jon about his family and the highlights of his sons little league season

Playing the game of my life against Mort losing on the last play in heartbreaking fashion then drinking a beer and talking matchups literally 5 mins later

Talking to Josh and Chet and getting to know that honestly tecmo domination is not what they do this for couldn't meet to cooler ppl they are there for all these little things above.

Helping Chris when you can and watching the whole process and the effort he puts into to not only the tourney but on a daily basis in everything he does, check out his newspaper Chris Vogt is so much bigger than the tourney he runs, but you have to know him to see that.

Talking to Brad, Kyle, and Matt Miller, Brad is having a baby soon how awesome is that!!! Matt Miller is a outstanding guy and for two years now i had a blast talking and hanging out with Matt. and big news flash here Kyle is not a robot that is a tapping tecmo machine, Kyle is a cool guy, works as a trainer and like all these guys is so much more than a screen name that wins 98% of his games.

Being able to celebrate with Matt Vogt as he wins that tourney

As Chet stated, these tourneys are really about so much more than winning, only one guy wins its so much more about finding common ground and hanging out with great ppl, how many other places can you find a bunch of guys doing something competitive and drinking with no problems, has there ever been a big brawl at a tecmo tourney or even a fight? Answer: No not to my knowledge. That is so awesome and the FUN of these tourneys is what its all about

Edited by Ryan11p

Can't wait to watch the videos of the final games. That other video was cool.

Would love to make it out to the Midwest or Madison once.

Live tourneys are just awesome, who cares online or live or whatever. There are lots of great players all around the country. Of course everyone wants to win but in the end, but Chet said it best, only one guy wins and it ends up being just a fun day with fellow tecmo'ers.

Next legit tourney is NYC in October!!!

Man oh man how pathetic is online tecmo when stuff like this is actually turning up at live tournaments. Pretty pathetic for the record. You should actually be embarrassed by all this for the record. Taking an online tecmo feud to the real world is tasteless and what is actually wrong with the world today. I'm sorry Brad I'm calling it how it is. You can come on and knock me all you want, but what you did is beyond immature and ignorant.

The only thing wrong with what Brad did was he had 10 year old photos of Randy instead of something more current featuring the double chin / goatee combination.

And by the way I'm sure Randy loved getting all this attention and not even being a part of the event lol...