Physical Condition

Baconpower

Sometimes it feels to me like a player has a certain amount of juice in an EXCELLENT streak, and if you use them too much they start to drop back down, or if you don't use them at all they drop as well. It's rare for me to have guys staying in GOOD or better for a huge chunk of the season, and when they do it seems like they burn out and go to BAD or injured soon thereafter.

Sometimes it feels to me like a player has a certain amount of juice in an EXCELLENT streak, and if you use them too much they start to drop back down, or if you don't use them at all they drop as well. It's rare for me to have guys staying in GOOD or better for a huge chunk of the season, and when they do it seems like they burn out and go to BAD or injured soon thereafter.

Dan Marino: 12 games in excellent. That was a nice season, I beat MAN controlled Chargers and Oilers twice (once each in the playoffs) en route to a perfect 19-0. Mark Clayton reeled in an 80 yard bomb in triple coverage to come from behind as time expired in the AFC championship game against the Oilers with everyone in excellent.

Sorry to gush, but its just to show what ridiculous condition streaks can do.

My main man Johnny Bailey has been in excellent for about 4 games in a row now, each game getting the ball 20+ times and running for about 600 yards. I definitely do not think it is random. Certain players tend to be in BAD alot for me (Bentley, Okoye, Walker) and some tend to be in excellent more.

This is of particular interest to me. In my last two annual tecmo events I've had trouble with conditions. Last year I lost on the NFC championship with the bears and a BAD Neal Anderson. This year I lost to the Giants with a BAD QB Eagles.

I ran some games to investigate this. Specifically I wanted to see how touches related to condition. I played a bunch of week one games so everyone starts out in average condition and kept track of how many carries, yards and condition at the end of the game. I've heard that condition can only change between quarters or after games so I think the thing to do would be to check the condition after every quarter (Otherwise it's hard to seperate casue and effect). I can't automate that though. Here are the results so far:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~wfenton/cond.jpg

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~wfenton/conditions.html

I looked at your plot, but I don't think it says enough. Since conditions change for each quarter, you should break it down by quarters. For instance, for a given quarter, look at how many rushing attempt, rushing yards, yards per carry, receptions, etc ... Then use a vertical graph to show what the distribution is if the condition goes up, goes down, or stays the same. I have a feeling that if it isn't random, it's tied directly into stats for a given quarter.

The reason why I think it's random is because I went through a season where a couple of my recievers didn't get thrown to at all no matter what. Their conditions went up and down all year long. What about bench players who will never get the call, their conditions fluxuate despite having no playing time? Perhaps there is a complex formula, however, being a programmer myself I know how easy it is to just make it random and not have to debug a complex injury formula if I don't have to.

Tough call. I've seen my players go down three plays later after i checked them as 'Excellent', i've also seen my players break 60-yd non-fumbling runs/75-yd receptions while 'Bad'. KR/PRs seem especially affected though. If they're good they'll burn you, if they're bad they'll drop at the 10 or fumble.

• 2 years later...
My old theory has been that it has to do with "hits" more than carries. It seems they stay up in condition longer if they are running out of bounds and stuff.

I try to get out of bounds cause I think it effects your player when he gets hit, but after I get out of bounds I keep running and avoiding guys haha. For some reason I think that if he gets hit out of bounds it still registers

I used to use Bo almost exclusively, and I never run out of bounds unless it's late in the fourth and I'm trying to save time to score more points. If hits had anything to do with condition, I should have been in Bad for most of the season. Unless, of course, something else cancels out the hits.

But as far as I could tell, Bo's condition was completely random. What I did on the field stayed pretty consistent - 30 or 40 yard gains, get tackled 2 or 3 times a drive, score lots of TDs. Late in the season when it would only be 10-20 yard gains, condition still didn't seem to be affected.

I had seasons where I was in Bad in the early part when the easy CPU was allowing me to tear it up, and when the games got harder I inexplicably moved into Good or Excellent. The reverse also happened.

I just finished a season with the Steelers on the NES and Tim Worley was excellent just about the whole season and dam Brister was just about bad all season, he was so crappy on bad overthrowing wide open guys so when he was bad I just used Rick Strom, he had a better completion % than Brister had for the season. Whats your best season comp. %.? So far mine is 76% with Wade Wilson of the Vikes. Gees talking about this game makes me want to play, well gotta go play!!

I just finished a season with the Steelers on the NES and Tim Worley was excellent just about the whole season and dam Brister was just about bad all season, he was so crappy on bad overthrowing wide open guys so when he was bad I just used Rick Strom, he had a better completion % than Brister had for the season. Whats your best season comp. %.? So far mine is 76% with Wade Wilson of the Vikes. Gees talking about this game makes me want to play, well gotta go play!!

A true tecmo master would learn to use Brister's amazing passer speed (even in BAD it is 75) to his/her advantage. I recently finished a season with San Diego (16-0) and won the Super Bowl (against Minnesota).

Not much you can do with 75 pass speed if your PC is 19. I use Strom over Brister every time I play with the steelers assuming they're in equal condition, not only can Strom throw the longball well but he won't get picked off anytime a defender is anywhere near the ball. In my opinion pass speed is not nearly as important in season mode games as it is in MAN vs MAN games (and even then i might choose Strom instead).

Not much you can do with 75 pass speed if your PC is 19. I use Strom over Brister every time I play with the steelers assuming they're in equal condition, not only can Strom throw the longball well but he won't get picked off anytime a defender is anywhere near the ball. In my opinion pass speed is not nearly as important in season mode games as it is in MAN vs MAN games (and even then i might choose Strom instead).

BC does not matter when Passing Speed is so high. On deep routes (if your timing is good) the ball goes so fast, that it stays straight and rarely goes past the receiver. Also, if your timing is perfect, you can hit your receivers just before defenders close for some really pretty pass plays.

In the next tournament I hope I draw Los Angeles, Pittsburgh or San Diego, then I can show my true dominance.

• 15 years later...

Guys here I come with a legit noob question 15 years later...does a player being in bad physical condition make them more likely to get injured? It seems like I have played an entire season several times with a player in bad condition almost the whole season, and he never got injured. But then for some reason, my players who are in excellent condition seem to get injured and fumble a lot. Has anyone else noticed this?

• 1 month later...

@msimon a player has a chance to change condition after every quarter of every game. He has a 50% chance of staying in average, 25% to go into good, and 25% to go into bad. When in good, he has a 50% chance to stay in good, a 25% to go back to average, and a 25% chance to go into excellent. ETC

As far as injuries, I don't believe that condition has anything to do with it. Any time you are tackled in bounds as the ball carrier, you have a chance to get injured.

Not quite right @vikingmoe02 this is how CONDITIONS works @msimon

Condition changes only occur at the beginning of the 2nd,3rd and 4th quarter

BAD:  75% stay in bad, 25% move to average 0% move to good, 0% move to excellent

AVERAGE:  12.5% move to bad, 75% stay in average, 12.5% move to good, 0% move to excellent

GOOD: 0% move to bad, 12.5% move to average, 75% stay in good, 12.5% move to excellent

EXCELLENT: 0% move to bad, 0% move to average, 25% move to good, 75% stay in excellent

Injuries have nothing to do with condition.

How INJURIES work.

Any time the ball carrier is tackled on a normal play he has a 2/256 or ~1% chance of injury.

Punt and kick returns are special. ball carrier has a 7/256 or ~3% chance of injury on those plays

Once a player is injured it works as follows:

1.They get set to DOUBTFUL: and have a 25% chance of returning. If they don't return they get set to QUESTIONABLE.

2. Next week from QUESTIONABLE status they would have a 50% chance of returning. If they don't return from QUESTIONABLE status they get set to RETURN status.

3. The following week they will return no matter what