Original Tecmo Bowl with Fixed Playbooks

TheFes75

All,

Posted a new ROM of the original Tecmo Bowl with fixed playbooks and some other changes in the download section under NES - TECMO BOWL.

It has some of the suggestion and what if's some of you have brought up in this forum in the past. They are listed below.

Changes include:

• Corrected colors for players (i.e Bill Brooks, Reggie Roby, Joey Browner etc. are now black players in the game)
  • Minnesota is now in a 4-3 defense as their positions showed they should have been.
  • Minnesota reverse has been removed and replaced with Seattle Run 2, but from the I-Set.
  • Play art for Minnesota Run 2 has been changed to Play art for Indianapolis Run 1.
  • Washington reverse has been removed and replaced with Cleveland Run 2.
  • Play art for Washington Run 2 has been changed to Play art for Cleveland Run 2.
  • Los Angeles has a revamped playbook. Each play is from the I-Set. Bo Jackson has 2 runs.
  • Run 1 is Minnesota Run 1
  • Run 2 is Seattle Run 2 but from the I-Set
  • Pass 1 is Denver Pass 1 but from the I-set
  • Pass 2 is Cleveland Pass 2
  • James Lofton (#80) has replaced Marcus Allen and plays the Top Receiver. MS=7,RS=1,RP=3, HP=48, X=10, RECEPTS=41.
  • San Francisco Run 1 has been removed and replaced with Chicago Run 1
  • Play art for San Francisco Run 1 has been changed to Play art for Chicago Run 1.
  • Pat Beach Play is fixed. He is now covered on Indianapolis Pass 1.
  • Eric Dickerson is in this version.

Woah! Awesome stuff.  Interesting switching MIN to a 4-3 and the MIN and WSH run fixes look perfect on first look. 

Picking nits: LA's passing plays are too similiar.  It's a tough call to figure out what plays a fixed LA should have. I always thought they should have CHI's running plays since every team in the game has a team with essentially the same running plays. (DEN/SEA, IND/CLE, WSH/MIN, DAL/NYG, SF/MIA, and then LA and CHI are different due to LA's split back.)

SF having CHI's run 1 makes them unquestionably the best team in the game. They'd roll everyone including the Giants.  Unnecassary change in my opinion.

Amazing you found a way to correct the coverage on Pat Beach.  If it's possible to change the individual coverages like that would it be possible to edit the blocking schemes on the WR reverse plays or get Bo or Allen to block the top outside LB on running plays for LA?

Woah! Awesome stuff.  Interesting switching MIN to a 4-3 and the MIN and WSH run fixes look perfect on first look. 

Picking nits: LA's passing plays are too similiar.  It's a tough call to figure out what plays a fixed LA should have. I always thought they should have CHI's running plays since every team in the game has a team with essentially the same running plays. (DEN/SEA, IND/CLE, WSH/MIN, DAL/NYG, SF/MIA, and then LA and CHI are different due to LA's split back.)

SF having CHI's run 1 makes them unquestionably the best team in the game. They'd roll everyone including the Giants.  Unnecassary change in my opinion.

Amazing you found a way to correct the coverage on Pat Beach.  If it's possible to change the individual coverages like that would it be possible to edit the blocking schemes on the WR reverse plays or get Bo or Allen to block the top outside LB on running plays for LA?

I can make changes to this ROM and re-post it.

I could have left Los Angeles in the split back and fixed the Bo running play.  Tecmo Turd figured out out how to fix the blocking so the top outside linebacker is blocked on Bo's run.  My TecmoBowl 1984 and Upcoming TecmoBowl 1989 ROM have Tecmo Turd's fix in them for the split back teams. I picked the run plays I did for Bo to put him in the I-Set as opposed to offset-I.

If you all let me know what you would prefer I could make those changes. Thanks for the input.

I picked the run plays I did for Bo to put him in the I-Set as opposed to offset-I.

Makes sense.

I love the idea of LA just having their plays fixed as opposed to trying to come up with a playbook that works while still keeping the game fair and balanced.

• 3 weeks later...

Meat emailed the USA vs Japan version, and Ive been playing this on my gamecube today. 

First off, LOVE the coin toss to start the game.  Player 1 getting the opening kickoff for the last 24 years or whatever was getting a little old.

I like the concept of the Redskins/Vikings plays fixed.  Based on my research and best guess, swapping out MIN and WSHs run plays with each other( and keeping the WR run plays in) would make both offenses a little better based on pass coverage schemes.  I'm really a traditionalist, but its still cool to see MIN/WSH with a legit playbook.   

Haven't gotten to check out the Raiders yet, and really the Raiders would be best suited for 2 player mode to get a feel for how deadly they could be.  I'll be seeing my buddy in the next week or 2, so we'll test them out.

Turd has a 30 team tecmo rom somewhere(as opposed to this 24 team rom) ....that might be great for implementing various versions of WSH/MIN/LA.  For our season play we really want to keep WSH/MIN/LA similar to the original, but with some minor tweaks. 

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

I see the exhibition mode is to just determine who you want play instead of random oppponent.  That's cool.

I tried a Japan San Fran vs USA San Fran in 2 player mode, and the road team is in all white, just like Turd told me about a long time ago.  That's great for having the same team face off with different versions.  I think Dallas is predominantly white and grey so that might be a tricky visual match-up though, but the rest should be good.

Found some things I don't like with the game,

Against the computer the road team is their usual color(Vikings are purple for example).  In this rom with 2 player setting, the road team is always completely white(jerseys, pants, and helmets).  O sorta assumed that going into this it was set up so SF vs SF would only trigger this, but its every team in 2 player mode.

I also noticed that both player 1 and player 2 CAN NOT be the same team...USA Raiders vs USA Raiders for instance.  A guy from dee nee made a hack that would allow both players to be the same team a long time ago.  I'll try to find the email on that. I think that would be a great addition.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Glad to see this game getting some love...in our 32-team ROM, we have the coin toss in the game, as well as home/away uniforms for all teams, and exhibition mode (which lets you pick your opponent instead of going through a season).  Did you use the 32-team ROM as inspiration for that? It seems like you are fixing some stuff that has been done on the 30-team ROM but not on the 12-team one, so that's awesome that the new hacks are being put into the old game.

What did you do to fix the pat beach play? I'd love to apply that to the 32-team ROM.  The last big hack I wanted to get implemented but never could get it done with jstout was fixing the ability to stop slants...there are some passing slants that are almost undefendable unless you are TecmoMadBrad, and fixing that would make the game actually better for league play...

We should chat about this...

Edited by TecmoTurd

Meat emailed the USA vs Japan version, and Ive been playing this on my gamecube today. 

First off, LOVE the coin toss to start the game.  Player 1 getting the opening kickoff for the last 24 years or whatever was getting a little old.

I like the concept of the Redskins/Vikings plays fixed.  Based on my research and best guess, swapping out MIN and WSHs run plays with each other( and keeping the WR run plays in) would make both offenses a little better based on pass coverage schemes.  I'm really a traditionalist, but its still cool to see MIN/WSH with a legit playbook.   

Haven't gotten to check out the Raiders yet, and really the Raiders would be best suited for 2 player mode to get a feel for how deadly they could be.  I'll be seeing my buddy in the next week or 2, so we'll test them out.

Turd has a 30 team tecmo rom somewhere(as opposed to this 24 team rom) ....that might be great for implementing various versions of WSH/MIN/LA.  For our season play we really want to keep WSH/MIN/LA similar to the original, but with some minor tweaks. 

The version that meat mailed to you is not the version I worked on,  I believe drummer and jstout worked on it.  I am fairly new to messing with these ROM's and still have a lot to learn.  I wouldn't know how to add or subtract teams. I can work within the framework of the original game and that is about it for now.

With that being said I have played the version meat sent you and am very impressed with it.  Wash and Min have fixed playbooks, Bo's run has the blocking fixed and the Pat beach play is covered.  All while keeping the rest of the game in the traditional manner.

The version I put out only has 12 teams. Wash and Min have fixed playbooks but I gave Los Angeles a traditional 1 back set (2 runs for Bo) and added James Lofton in place of Marcus Allen. The way I fixed the Pat Beach pass was different than in the version meat sent you, but they both work. I also gave San Francisco a top side run which someone pointed out earlier in the thread makes them virtually unstoppable.

Perhaps a new thread discussing that ROM would be more appropriate.

Edited by TheFes75

I didn't know Drummer and jstout worked on one.  Jstout and I worked on a project together (mostly him) but I didn't know anyone else had been working on anything.  Either way, yeah, good to see everyone going...

Fixing pat beach and fixing slants are my biggest goals at this poing...

• 3 years later...