Tile Layering Graphic Index (BETA)

This is a mock-up screen of my Tile Layering Graphic Index Project.

The purpose of this project is to add a general identity to tile groupings when using one of the many NES tile editing programs. I've used a 16-column width for ease of interpretation, since most tile editing programs allow for this. (I will be increasing the amount of rows soon to show 16x16 (256 tiles).

This is the beginning section of tiles 16x10. As you can see, I've numbered and color assigned them, and then assigned those numbers and colors to a key on the right-hand side which provides a rough explanation for what the grouping is. I could get more into detail in the tile layout, but am not going to. If you can't figure it out, you need more help than I can provide.

Again, this is a mock-up. My plan is to do this for the entire game's ROM bank, and specifically for the 32-team ROM graphic banks, as editing the 28-team ROM largely doesn't make sense to me anymore.

Would this be a helpful addition? Feedback is welcomed.

post-6558-0-44542100-1362867758_thumb.pn

The pic isn't loading for me (for some reason) but i concur that the focus should be on the 32-team rom. From a relative newcomer's perspective, it would save me a lot of time hunting in Tile Layer Pro trying to figure out which tiles make up which graphics. 

Sorry. I've been switching them in and out for different versions in the past five minutes. ;) Try now.

Hmmm. Problem is, I might not have them divided properly. This Tile Editor I'm using currently only allows 8-columns in the display, so I might have stacked / numbered them incorrectly. If someone could take a screen shot of Tile Layer Pro's first set of graphics when you load up the ROM, that would be very helpful to me. I just need to see how it orients the initial batch of tiles in its 16x16 display.

Otherwise, the concept is still there in my mock-up for examination of intent.

Perfect. Yeah, I stacked them wrong, which is what I get trying to pull this together late last night on little sleep. I'll correct the mistake. I also have an idea for color-coating each tile that might work toward bringing some added definition to the groupings. It all depends on the time needed.

Is this a reference for Tile Layer Pro or a program?

I assume this is a reference that will come with some instructions on how to utilize it?

This is great btw, graphics is what I struggle with the most.

• 1 month later...

So, back when Knobbe posted this, I have to admit, I was kind of floored, as I believed what I had created was pretty self-explanatory. Considering Knobbe has at least been around this stuff for a long time, which made me imagine that a total noob would be clueless. Which means some added documentation is required. So, I'm going to have to develop this further.

The idea is there. Certainly, it's a long-term project, and I do think it'll be very helpful ultimately. Baby steps, right? Part of the reason why I held up was in case CX_ROM releases his updated 32-team ROM, I wanted to be sure he didn't move any titles around for any reason. Most important was for me to create the base graphic / template. Stick in / re-coloring specific tiles is just part of the grunt work, but the initial template is a good portion of the effort needed.

Is this a reference for Tile Layer Pro or a program?

I assume this is a reference that will come with some instructions on how to utilize it?

This is great btw, graphics is what I struggle with the most.