Let's play: Which Team Would You Pick?

vikingmoe02

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, WackoforFlacco said:

When a team has one good, super fast defender, I tend to run at them...a lot.  My solution to Deion would be to almost never pass and make him stand still and wait on my running game and the convoy of blockers that comes with it.  One of my arch-nemeses from the old Tecmo days was a Browns fan and he was able to maneuver Mike Johnson into position no matter what I was trying to do.  He'd cover short or deep, could flow to outside runs and attack the hole on inside runs.  He wasn't flashy, but he was reliable and there is a real value there.  You don't want to be doing backward somersaults while the ball carrier is breaking into his death zigzag. 

Running at Sanders is a good strategy to discourage his use, but using a 31ms or 38ms RB to do it isn't going to be overly effective IMO. I will also agree that Mike Johnson is in a good spot on D, but he can easily be nullified with the right playbook (i.e. I-Formation).

2 hours ago, vikingmoe02 said:

Running at Sanders is a good strategy to discourage his use, but using a 31ms or 38ms RB to do it isn't going to be overly effective IMO. I will also agree that Mike Johnson is in a good spot on D, but he can easily be nullified with the right playbook (i.e. I-Formation).

If you have a QB with any kind of mobility, that sweep to the top behind the 3 WRs is a nightmare to defend from the top CB position because of that convoy of blockers. Head to head, I'm more concerned with my blocking than the speed of my RB since any player who is worth a crap is usually going to have the anticipation to get to a spot to make a play, even if my back has a speed advantage. 

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, Neerrm said:

Let's revive this shit.

Who you got?

PACKERS1 BROWNS1

Yes!!

This thread is like some undead creature that can't die. I love it!

I love this matchup too. On one hand, GB is more balanced offensively with faster skill position players and they have two pretty good defending options in Harris and Bob Nelson. But on the other hand, the elite reliability of a QB Browns offsets a lot for me as well.

Knowing my opponents tendencies would play a factor in this decision, but I'd probably take Player #1 and be happy with either team. If I had to choose, I'd probably go Brownies.

GB-CLE is one of the most even matchups out there that really just comes down to who play calls better. Both team can essentially take the defensive options out of the game. I'd probably lean GB or P1.

I like MIN in MIN vs TB. If the OL has a lucky game TB can hold its own, but if not, its tough. Strategy is to sit on pass and man the MIN LB's to spy on Vinny for passes a.. Haddix makes things a grind offensively for MIN but they should be table to thousand paper cut their way down the field.  

I'd take MIN over TB.  Like Bru says, you're gonna have to bump and grind and be patient with MIN.  (but you'd have to do the same as TB - and you're never really gonna get past JOEY anyways). MIN has a lot better defense, enough to neutralize anything TB can bring, I think.  

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, bruddog said:

GB-CLE is one of the most even matchups out there that really just comes down to who play calls better. Both team can essentially take the defensive options out of the game. I'd probably lean GB or P1.

I like MIN in MIN vs TB. If the OL has a lucky game TB can hold its own, but if not, its tough. Strategy is to sit on pass and man the MIN LB's to spy on Vinny for passes a.. Haddix makes things a grind offensively for MIN but they should be table to thousand paper cut their way down the field.  

I like the matchup, because it leads to grind it out play. I prefer playing that way most of the time.

The TB OL actually is not that bad off in this matchup. Doleman is the only one that will break through consistently (barring conditions). Obviously Millard will as well whenever there's a run play that a blocker engages him, but never on pass plays from his LB2 position.

You're right actually the TB OL matchup isn't too bad barring conditions...

Doleman will bust in a good amount. But if TB's C goes in bad or the NT goes in good then you have two guys coming in a lot and that limits any up the middle runs.

But run 3 sweep is pretty effective since that bottom LB is only 31 HP for MIN.  Vinny's 31 ms also helps with the bad OL . 

On 10/11/2016 at 7:54 PM, vikingmoe02 said:

I'd like to throw out a matchup that Daboy offered me in the Madison tourney a couple years ago:

MIN vs TB

Your thoughts?

Gotta go with TB. Better passing game (Vinny to Carrier JJ is a bitch to stop), running game, and QB MS.

Although MIN has a slightly better DB set, Haddix is unstoppable enough that it's not really an issue.

MIN has much better LB's, but I tend to utilize DB's more, so TB fits my style of play better overall.

Here's another one for you guys: KC vs MIA. Who's better?

Edited by Eamon

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

SF

HOU

NYG

PHI

BUF

RAI

CHI

would probably be my top 7, in that order. Or maybe CHI above RAI.

I agree with this list except for Philly. I'd put BUF and RAI above them, and maybe even CHI depending on my opponent.

2 hours ago, vikingmoe02 said:

I agree with this list except for Philly. I'd put BUF and RAI above them, and maybe even CHI depending on my opponent.

I can see that. I just feel like QB Eagles is such a game changer. All three have weak spots, I guess it depends on what you like. BUF has great running and passing, but a pretty average defense. RAI have Bo and good receivers and another average defense. CHI has great RBs and great defense but no passing game.

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

I'd prob go

BUF

RAI

CHI

PHI

BUF AND RAI are at least as potent offensively as PHI and even more so. They both have options to spy on Eagles. The Raiders options are less ideal as using Anderson will typically cause the give up the scramble vs give up the open pass problem more often. But using Long or Townsend can work. 

CHI v PHI is CLOSER to the DL/OL matchup. If you can outtap the CHI player then PHI should be able to hang really well with chicago. Otherwise it might be rough.  

Philly really should not be that high up there, I feel that so many teams that are "below PHI's rank" can neutralize/slow down Eagles. KC, MIN, MIA, DET, even PIT and the JETS can do wonders. Against that defense, there isn't much besides Jerome and Reggie. Sure, you've got Joyner, Allen, and Smith - but they're really not great at defending the pass, no one is on that team. Not to mention, against a Marino/Deberg type, Waters will get picked on a lot. So basically it comes down to the question of "Can I score absolutely every single time while my opponent sits on pass all day with PHI?" 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Philly really should not be that high up there, I feel that so many teams that are "below PHI's rank" can neutralize/slow down Eagles. KC, MIN, MIA, DET, even PIT and the JETS can do wonders. Against that defense, there isn't much besides Jerome and Reggie. Sure, you've got Joyner, Allen, and Smith - but they're really not great at defending the pass, no one is on that team. Not to mention, against a Marino/Deberg type, Waters will get picked on a lot. So basically it comes down to the question of "Can I score absolutely every single time while my opponent sits on pass all day with PHI?" 

I agree. I think PIT and the JETS is pushing it though as PHI has enough defense to make those offenses pretty painful. 

In general with philly you definitely have to be excellent with the clock, ROOB often, and be good at avoiding the drones on picked plays to set up the 5-10 yard gain or open completion. You can really abuse pass 2 over and over (even when picked)  this way if you can avoid the drones.