Let's play: Which Team Would You Pick?

vikingmoe02

Ok let's talk about what Bo Know's against top teams

Buffalo - Raiders  - QB Bills God Like PC vs 50 INT guys better than Bo running circles around Corny Bennett?

Eagles - Raiders - Can QB Eagles be pestered enough by the Raiders DL?  

Giants - Raiders - Would LT break a sweat chasing Bo?

Not a huge fan of giving any opponent Bo Jackson, but Wild Jay is the key in these matchups. All of these matchups come down to clock management and who gets that one stop.

BUF vs RAI: I lean towards the Bills here due to more balance on offense with the hope that Wild Jay will be inconsistent enough to pull out a stop.

PHI vs RAI: I like the Raiders here with the DL v OL advantage to chase QB Eagles. Plus the Eagles D is not well positioned to stop Bo.

GIA vs RAI: Gotta go G-men here. That supporting cast can help contain Bo and make Wild Jay pay when forced to pass. The offense is also balanced.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been considering going to some upcoming tournaments and having some fun.  I have been playing alot of common match ups and alot I thought may be good on my own.  I like both teams in each match up below, so i think they are even.  As I am not very big into the game, I want to rule out any error I have made.  So I'd appreciate anyone that wants to review this list, let me know if any match up is obviously uneven and if you feel like saying which team you'd prefer and why, go right ahead

KC vs OAK

KC vs CHI

CHI vs OAK

TB vs ATL

PIT vs NYJ

CLE vs GB

NO vs PHX

WAS vs CIN

PHI vs MIA

DEN vs SD

GIA vs SF

STL vs DET

I have been considering going to some upcoming tournaments and having some fun.  I have been playing alot of common match ups and alot I thought may be good on my own.  I like both teams in each match up below, so i think they are even.  As I am not very big into the game, I want to rule out any error I have made.  So I'd appreciate anyone that wants to review this list, let me know if any match up is obviously uneven and if you feel like saying which team you'd prefer and why, go right ahead

KC vs OAK

KC vs CHI

CHI vs OAK

TB vs ATL

PIT vs NYJ

CLE vs GB

NO vs PHX

WAS vs CIN

PHI vs MIA

DEN vs SD

GIA vs SF

STL vs DET

The ones in red are the bad matchups. I'm not saying they are not winnable but you'd never want to call them in a matchup vs a MAN player online or in an offline tourney. 

You really don't want to call SF vs any team because SF is the best team on the game.

PHI vs MIA is not totally egregious but PHI  has the trump card in QB Eagles 

QB eagles is good but I've seen moments where he can't carry that team.  Especially if he is in bad

Would buffalo or houston be a better pairing with NYG instead of SF?

also sorry for double postings earlier.  I didn't think it was same topic as I cared more about if the matchup was even over who people would play as, also didn't realize my thread had been combined with this

QB eagles is good but I've seen moments where he can't carry that team.  Especially if he is in bad

Would buffalo or houston be a better pairing with NYG instead of SF?

also sorry for double postings earlier.  I didn't think it was same topic as I cared more about if the matchup was even over who people would play as, also didn't realize my thread had been combined with this

Skim the thread for matchups. Those given are all very even from seasoned tournament players.

I have no idea why someone merged your thread with this one. I deleted your double post and my erroneous reply. Shame on you, mystery mod!

KC vs OAK

KC vs CHI

CHI vs OAK

TB vs ATL

PIT vs NYJ

CLE vs GB

NO vs PHX

WAS vs CIN

PHI vs MIA

DEN vs SD

GIA vs SF

STL vs DET

I put in BOLD the matchups that I would be okay with using. I think they are fair, and I like both options.

In every other example, I think there is a clear advantage. The two Raiders matchups are lopsided in the Raiders favor IMO. TB is a much better option than ATL due to QB alone (plus Haddix > Dieon). I've seen the Wash-Cincy matchup, but Cincy is better all the way around IMO. Philly vs MIA is sneaky, and not realy that bad. But if I'm going to offer QB Eagles to a skilled player, I better have a little better team than MIA to get that one necessary stop. As previously mentioned, I don't want to offer SF to anyone (good or bad). RAMS vs DET is pretty fair, but defense will be difficult, which just isn't my style.

Love the DEN vs SD matchup. One of my favorites.

• 5 months later...

I'm intrigued by the whole matchup format of tournaments and why people choose certain matchups and how they decide between the two teams.

So which team would you pick (and why...if you want) if offered the following matchups?

1. GB - CLE

2. PHX - ATL

3. MIN - MIA

4. NE - SEA

5. HOU - GIA

Browns. Pros: Bernie Kosar, Ozzie Newsome, Eric Metcalf, Kevin Mack.

Cardinals. Pros: Johnny Johnson, Ron Wolfley, Ricky Proehl.

Vikings. Pros: Herschel Walker, Cris Carter, Chris Doleman.

Seahawks. Pros: Chris Warren, Brian Blades, Cortez Kennedy.

Oilers. Pros: Warren Moon, Lorenzo White, Ernest Givins, Haywood Jeffries, Drew Hill, Ray Childress.

Browns. Pros: Bernie Kosar, Ozzie Newsome, Eric Metcalf, Kevin Mack.

Cardinals. Pros: Johnny Johnson, Ron Wolfley, Ricky Proehl. Wolfley? He's JAG (just a guy), what about Lonnie Young!

Vikings. Pros: Herschel Walker, Cris Carter, Chris Doleman. You fail to mention their 2 best players (AC and Browner), Walker and Carter are below average

Seahawks. Pros: Chris Warren, Brian Blades, Cortez Kennedy. Kennedy is not as good as he should be in this game. What about Green or Krieg?

Oilers. Pros: Warren Moon, Lorenzo White, Ernest Givins, Haywood Jeffries, Drew Hill, Ray Childress. Good points here, but you missed Richard Johnson (dick dick) who's one of the best in the game

• 4 weeks later...

HOU vs GIA

I feel like going through all the teams, starting with the best. Who would you pick in a MAN vs MAN game? I'm not starting with the 49ers because most people think they're the best in the game, but feel free to say if you would prefer one of these teams.

GIA all day, for me.  Run the Rock.  Play bend but don't break on defense, let Moon make a mistake.

Houston. Don't even need to run more than 1-2 times the whole game. Keep Bombing.

Can't play bend but don't break with GIA secondary vs a 75 PC QB and three 75 REC WRs

This. Plus if you can tap dick dick and childress make running with the GIA  tough as they are in key spots. Childress ruins the iform. Dick dick can stuff the R & S sweeps. This lets you sit back and call pass and get the very likely int from simms to low rec players or force coverage sacks.  

With all the high REC WR's you can pick on the weak link. Or just rear back and chuck to drew hill....both will work well. 

Yo moderator, I made a separate topic specifically so I could make a poll. I knew this thread existed and by now most matchups I'd be interested in have probably been explored here, so I want to do separate polls just to look at the votes. I'm more interested in the numbers than in individual people's reasons. With a poll it's easier for more people to just click one or the other. In this thread a lot of people may read and would have answered the poll, but maybe they're not going to bother writing a response here. I plan on going through every team so I just wanted to see the numbers without having to scroll through and count posts. Can I get my separate poll back? Thanks. 

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

Yo moderator, I made a separate topic specifically so I could make a poll. I knew this thread existed and by now most matchups I'd be interested in have probably been explored here, so I want to do separate polls just to look at the votes. I'm more interested in the numbers than in individual people's reasons. With a poll it's easier for more people to just click one or the other. In this thread a lot of people may read and would have answered the poll, but maybe they're not going to bother writing a response here. I plan on going through every team so I just wanted to see the numbers without having to scroll through and count posts. Can I get my separate poll back? Thanks. 

It's not a matter of being easy for people. The information already exists in one of the biggest threads on the site. You will curate the same information by looking through it. Making multiple, duplicate threads is going to do nothing but clog up a subforum.

I can appreciate the yearning for raw data on all possible matchups, but how helpful is that really? Sure, it'd be interesting to look through, but it's not going to provide more insight on which matchups to pick or which team to pick from a matchup offer. Knowing which team someone would pick and their rationale (which this thread provides) can provide that insight.

This. Plus if you can tap dick dick and childress make running with the GIA  tough as they are in key spots. Childress ruins the iform. Dick dick can stuff the R & S sweeps. This lets you sit back and call pass and get the very likely int from simms to low rec players or force coverage sacks.  

With all the high REC WR's you can pick on the weak link. Or just rear back and chuck to drew hill....both will work well. 

I have to agree. Even if you have a tapping advantage, it's hard not to take HOU.

If I wanted input on which team to pick for one specific matchup for a tourney, I would have posted here to begin with. I'm interested in ranking all the teams based on polling data. IIRC I believe the TPC rankings were at least partly based on polls originally. That was years ago so I thought it might be interesting to see what the results would be now. 

As far as clogging up a forum, when people like Tailback King make 9000 posts about Johnny Johnson that argument holds little water :P One poll a week is hardly clogging up a forum.

If I wanted input on which team to pick for one specific matchup for a tourney, I would have posted here to begin with. I'm interested in ranking all the teams based on polling data. IIRC I believe the TPC rankings were at least partly based on polls originally. That was years ago so I thought it might be interesting to see what the results would be now. 

As far as clogging up a forum, when people like Tailback King make 9000 posts about Johnny Johnson that argument holds little water :P One poll a week is hardly clogging up a forum.

TBK hasn't created a thread in over a year. GG

TBK hasn't created a thread in over a year. GG

So I haven't been active in awhile, it's the first thing I thought of. I would really appreciate being allowed to create polls in the forum. What's your issue? What's the big deal? It wasn't hurting anything and my point stands, even if the example I gave is no longer relevant. Posting one poll a week to gather data is not going to clog anything up. You can even delete each poll when I'm done with it or any other damn thing you feel like doing. The point is I want to have polls. Maybe no one will even vote and I'll just give it up. I just wanted to see what would happen. Sheesh.