Let's play: Which Team Would You Pick?

vikingmoe02

Before we ban Houston, as some have imprudently suggested, it might be worth noting that the Giants are 8-5 lifetime against Hou in the tourney. That obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but the online community has always overrated Hou. Hou is also 7-14 against SF, 2-3 v. KC, just 5-4 v. Phi, and 15-8 against Buf. Oh yeah, and these records were generated while Givins was able to carry the football. Hardly ban-worthy. 

Guarantee most those numbers are from pool play where the competition is average at best. SF is better than HOU so they should have a losing record vs them. Also predicating your attack based on Givens ability to run form RB2 is a monumental waste of resources.

I'm not a believer in HOU.  I pulled a HOU v BUF back in Chicago '10 against MORT in round of 32.  I was honestly hoping Mort would take HOU.

1st two drives: 

Kelso picks off Moon on my side of the field

White fumbles inside 10.

Mort grinded (and I mean grinded) with Thermal all day.

I made a run in the 2nd half but could never make up those turnovers.  I just don't trust the pass as much anymore.  I'll take a team that can run the ball any day.

---

same thing knee-deep in '11 Neberaska tourney, feeling good, vs Chet Holzy.  I called MIA v DET, hoping dude would take MIA.  nope.  

again...GRIND.  those MIA safeties are badass, and I kept Barry in check (but could never quite stop him) and I kept all kinds of bullshit alive with Marino tossing sweet Garbage, but I believe I ended up losing 28-21 or something like that.  Might have been by a FG.  

---

I made it to the "Elite 8", 2010 Madison He Went to Jerry tourney, I was ripping Everybody apart that day.  But, as the night went on - Coffee was wearing off and they put me on this old-school PoS faded-ass projector big-screen (after having played on little-ass 15-inchers all day).  

Mort's brother is there with their "notebook" talking all kinds of strategy.  With my head totally up my ass, I call PHX v DAL.  Believe it or not, I only lost that by a damn FG.  I grinded Johnny Johnson pretty good.  But Mort was on FIRE that day and could do no wrong.

----

The thing about these tournaments for me is:  you gotta have physical and mental STAMINA and keep your FOCUS and INTENSITY.  As the day wears on, it's tough to keep the mojo going.  One bad matchup call and it's all over.  (at least the single-elimination tourneys)

The Cards vs Dallas???  I hope I get that one in Seattle.  Who the hell was Mort using to stop Johnson??? 

As i mentioned I don't know if anything meaningful can be pulled from either the data I posted or the data holzy posted. There are a lot of variables ( HOME vs AWAY), (who the coaches were), (small sample sizes) that add lots of noise.

Personally I think its close between HOU and NYG. When you get to the upper echelon team scoring becomes pretty easy and I think the difference become marginal. But SF is kind of in a class of their own. 

The Cards vs Dallas???  I hope I get that one in Seattle.  Who the hell was Mort using to stop Johnson??? 

he didn't stop Johnny J, I was running all over him.  he just ended up scoring more points than me.

but he was using different LBs based on my formation and I found out that he knows how to blow up a couple of my runs to basically make them unusuable for me.  (I didn't know WHO Mort was at that time - and he ended up winning the whole tournament that day!  He is a great Tecmo player and a really nice guy) 

I know ran for over 100 with Johnny J, probably like 120 yds, can't remember.  

Mort scored a FG at the end of the half thanks to an ARROW-TRICK pass to Irvin up top (totally lost my jock strap).  I ended up losing by that FG.

I did run for 131 yds with MOSI TATUPU (against IND) that day, in round of 32.  Then I ran for like 150+ (I think it was maybe 200+) with Barry vs KC in sweet 16, holding OKOYE to less than 10 yds.

Edited by buck

Who would you choose?

Oak vs Chic.  Raiders just too powerful on offense.

KC vs SD.  Chiefs are just a better team.

Philly vs Chicago.  Tough call, but I take Randall.  PHI D is quick, and versatile enough to get a stop or two.

Rams vs Detroit.  Daytwah.

Wash vs Minny.  Coin flip.

Love this game!  Here are a handful more.  Who you got!?

ATL - NYJ

CIN - KC

PIT - PHX

IND - NE

DEN - MIN

Edge to the Jets for defensive versatility

Slight edge to Cincy for me (Fulcher the Vulcher baby)

PITT (sorry Tailback King)

NE as Indy is the worst team defensively in the game

Tough call on MIN-DEN. I might take the controller

Who would you choose?

Oak vs Chic

KC vs SD

Philly vs Chicago

Rams vs Detroit

Wash vs Minny

Oakland is more talented

KC pretty easily for me

Tougher call, but I would rather be QB Eagles than go against him. So Philly

Detriot pretty easily for me.

Probably Wash, but I might just take the controller I want instead.

Before we ban Houston, as some have imprudently suggested, it might be worth noting that the Giants are 8-5 lifetime against Hou in the tourney. That obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but the online community has always overrated Hou. Hou is also 7-14 against SF, 2-3 v. KC, just 5-4 v. Phi, and 15-8 against Buf. Oh yeah, and these records were generated while Givins was able to carry the football. Hardly ban-worthy. 

Update: GMen are now 11-7 against Hou and Buf, after a 3-0 day on Sat, improved its record against Hou to 11-15. Neither SF nor KC played Hou on Sat, but Hou did improve its record against Phi to 9-4. Hou is 6-4 against the Raiders lifetime. It's a small sample size, but nothing suggests that Hou is in a class of its own (excluding SF from discussion). 

My favorite match-up in which I don't think I have lost any

NYJ vs Pit

NYJ vs Dal

NYJ vs Phx

NYJ vs Atl

See a pattern? I thought I saw somewhere that the Jets only win 12.5% of the time? Jets are my favorite team, they match-up so well vs those 4 teams. I offered Kevin M (buzzsaw) NYJ vs Dal hoping he would choose Dal. He did, and I won 27-0. McMillan being able to JJ int Aikman is a big advantage.

Update: GMen are now 11-7 against Hou and Buf, after a 3-0 day on Sat, improved its record against Hou to 11-15. Neither SF nor KC played Hou on Sat, but Hou did improve its record against Phi to 9-4. Hou is 6-4 against the Raiders lifetime. It's a small sample size, but nothing suggests that Hou is in a class of its own (excluding SF from discussion). 

Just out of curiosity...since you're covering the stats end of this...

If you were given the choice of Houston vs whoever... which teams would you pick over houston?

As people have mentioned earlier in the thread, stats can be skewed by bad players having used certain teams... So if you only polled good players (using you as the example here)... what teams would get chosen over Houston?

Just out of curiosity...since you're covering the stats end of this...

If you were given the choice of Houston vs whoever... which teams would you pick over houston?

As people have mentioned earlier in the thread, stats can be skewed by bad players having used certain teams... So if you only polled good players (using you as the example here)... what teams would get chosen over Houston?

Totally depends on who my opponent is, but Buf and Gia are both worthy Hou opponents. Bears can also take down Hou. 

My favorite match-up in which I don't think I have lost any

NYJ vs Pit

NYJ vs Dal

NYJ vs Phx

NYJ vs Atl

See a pattern? I thought I saw somewhere that the Jets only win 12.5% of the time? Jets are my favorite team, they match-up so well vs those 4 teams. I offered Kevin M (buzzsaw) NYJ vs Dal hoping he would choose Dal. He did, and I won 27-0. McMillan being able to JJ int Aikman is a big advantage.

Reg, the Jets lifetime Madison record against those teams is set forth below. Eventually, we'll display all this info on the site.  

Pit: 5-9

Dal: 8-11

Phx: 13-13

Atl: 10-6

Gary has his Reasons. 

O'Dell pantsed me with GIA in a warmup game, and my first single elim. opponents (Scott S.) called GIA-HOU, so I decided to give GIA a go.  Won 17-7, with Reasons helping a lot in coverage... and LT blocking two FGs (also had one blocked).

If you post a matchup breakdown maybe should only use bracket play to remove bad player noise.

Gave this some thought the other day when Keirre mentioned it and I'm not sure group play is truly "noise." If an inferior player called the matchup, most on here seem to think that the superior player would choose Hou and defeat the Giants. By contrast, if a superior player called the matchup (unlikely since it's top tier), the inferior guy might call either team, but he'd likely lose either way. If the group play results are somehow skewing the results in one team's favor, then, it'd probably be in Hou's favor.    

In a more general sense, why knock out all Hou-Gia games that don't involve elite players? Because only matchups b/w elite guys can truly determine which team is performing better? Not sure I agree with that proposition, but perhaps you guys are right. 

Underdogs should call high tier matchups where less skill is involved. If i sucked id probably call SF vs HOU. May the best dice roller win. :)

i disagree with this after being at a few of these tourneys.  crap teams tend to remove skill advantages much more than great teams.  This is how i was eliminated from madison 8

Just make orenga post a query option to do both :)

Gave this some thought the other day when Keirre mentioned it and I'm not sure group play is truly "noise." If an inferior player called the matchup, most on here seem to think that the superior player would choose Hou and defeat the Giants. By contrast, if a superior player called the matchup (unlikely since it's top tier), the inferior guy might call either team, but he'd likely lose either way. If the group play results are somehow skewing the results in one team's favor, then, it'd probably be in Hou's favor.

In a more general sense, why knock out all Hou-Gia games that don't involve elite players? Because only matchups b/w elite guys can truly determine which team is performing better? Not sure I agree with that proposition, but perhaps you guys are right.