New Large Helmet Logos

keithisgood

Alright, folks--I think this is the last one. 

OLD SAINTS:                                              NEW SAINTS:

KCuyf7y.png   z57erzK.png

I'm not going to mess with Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Cincy, Cleveland and St. Louis; I think those helmets are great already.

HERE'S AN ALBUM WITH ALL 32 LARGE HELMETS: http://imgur.com/a/sY3zJ Let Me know if there's something which needs tweaking.

Edited by keithisgood

Everyone of them are upgrades!

Only things I see are

Im not sure about the shine color on the Bucs something looks off about it.

The Jaguars eyes/nose/tounge color should be teal like the dolphins color it looks more light blue then teal as it is now.

Did you play around with the facemask colors at all for teams with black facemask or dark blue? It blends in too much. How does it look when you put the grey as the outside color and the black as the inside color of the facemask? Other then that I cant find nothing.

Great Job and thanks.

I'm still on the fence with the bucs highlights as well. I'll give it until closer to the release day to make a final decision.

I'll take a look at that Jaguar Tongue (probably the only time I'll ever say/type that!). EDIT--You're right. Changed it from HEX 21 to 11.

As for the black facemasks, I tried swapping around the black colors but couldn't make it work right. The reason is that there's three seperate colors in the facemask tiles specifically drawn to be darker than the main facemask color. Changing the black and grey around inverts the facemask shading and it looks off. There's the possibility of re-drawing the facemask tiles, but that seems like a lot of work right now.

Edited by keithisgood

I'm still on the fence with the bucs highlights as well. I'll give it until closer to the release day to make a final decision.

I'll take a look at that Jaguar Tongue (probably the only time I'll ever say/type that!). EDIT--You're right. Changed it from HEX 21 to 11.

As for the black facemasks, I tried swapping around the black colors but couldn't make it work right. The reason is that there's three seperate colors in the facemask tiles specifically drawn to be darker than the main facemask color. Changing the black and grey around inverts the facemask shading and it looks off. There's the possibility of re-drawing the facemask tiles, but that seems like a lot of work right now.

I was thinking more along the lines of 1c or 0c for the Jags colors. 1c looks good on my phone. Im not near my computer to see how it looks for sure though. Edited by mattjones18

the best emulator to check colors on is VirtuaNES.  that is the closest to the actual colors you will see on your TV, if you use a cart or whatever.  other emulators lie.  FCE isn't even close.

Edited by buck

Oh man! I didn't realize FCEUX was so crap with colors. I just ran the rom in VirtuaNES and a lot of the colors I changed are way off.Thanks for the heads-up, buck.

I was wondering why you thought teal look closer to 11 then 1c. haha. I just checked the ROM 1c is the color of the Jags uniforms and looks alot better in the logo. I got it open now and can go through the other teams and check the colors see if I find anything else.

I didn't realize FCEUX was crap with colors. I went through the rom on VirtuaNES and Fixed the off colors. Jags teal is definitely 1C. Also put a new NFL logo into the rom.

well, FCE colors look great on a computer, but it's not as representative of the actual NES colors on a TV (via the actual NES "hardware") as VirtuaNES is.  VirtuaNES shows you that smeared/dark look like the NES system.

I know because I've had carts made and use a NES powerpak.  There are some colors that look pretty bad on the NES, but look OK on emulator - color "08" is one of those.  I've been totally shocked by how smeared a lot of the "dark" colors look on the actual NES.  It really makes sense that they used that x15 color so much - even though it looks "pink" in most emulators!

PS : once again - incredible results you've achieved here, keith!  thanks.

Edited by buck

Not sure if I should post this here or elsewhere, but I updated the AFC and NFC logos used on the pro bowl screen:

ljaC9FD.pngJ8ST0et.png

As always, new rom at the beginning of the thread.

look good

Edited by buck

Let me get your opinions.  I hope I'm not derailing this too much.

What are you thoughts about a bit of anti aliasing in the game?  You did a small amount of anti aliasing in your Colts helmet and the AFC/NFC logos.  The game, in its original state (if I recall correctly), had absolutely no anti aliasing.  Everything was blocky and pixely.  

Do you think it's a good move to anti-alias items when available or stick to the game's roots of blocks and aliasing everywhere?

Let me get your opinions.  I hope I'm not derailing this too much.

What are you thoughts about a bit of anti aliasing in the game?  You did a small amount of anti aliasing in your Colts helmet and the AFC/NFC logos.  The game, in its original state (if I recall correctly), had absolutely no anti aliasing.  Everything was blocky and pixely.  

Do you think it's a good move to anti-alias items when available or stick to the game's roots of blocks and aliasing everywhere?

would love to discuss, but....NEW THREAD!!!  please move.

Just a quick reply here; not much needs be said. 

The original game actually did use Anti-aliasing on the AFC and NFC logos:

post-6558-0-01467300-1361568016_thumb.pn

I did the redesign with the originals in mind. 

And with the Colts logo, anti aliasing was the only way I could make it work.

As a general rule, I try to keep the spirit of the original game's art assets and therefore avoid anti aliasing excepting where it was used in the original game.

Edited by keithisgood

Just to be certain $31F90 is in the middle of a block of FFs. This is where I'm supposed to paste the hex?

yo Keith, I now know why that stuff wasn't where it was supposed to be - I didn't "forget it" -> I had copied it to the wrong place....so

at 0x31e90 write: FEE66EC69EA56EC91CD0

do this to the rom as you now have it.   had accidentally written over this in the original "x1" version.  

Leave the code I gave you at x31F90 there, it's supposed to be there.  The ROM will now be how it's supposed to be after you apply this.

sorry  :oops:

post-5602-0-81420400-1362261278_thumb.pn

Edited by buck