New Large Helmet Logos

keithisgood

Yeah, I've been watching the Jags' OTA videos (slow freelancing day, if you couldn't tell already) and think I've hit a gradient that 1) Looks good in Tecmo Bowl; and 2) More Closely represents what the Jags actually wear.

Eh?

The one you posted before this one looks the best/closest.

Okay. I've fixed all the pointers and all the AFC helmets have been restored. I've re-drawn the Rams logo as a sprite instead of a helmet template and applied it to helmet template 41 (with the "shine").

However, I've noticed in testing two issues:

1) During the pregame screen, when the Jags are the home team (Player 1), the helmet template draws from somewhere other than $1660A (where I edited the hex for template 42), reverting it to the old hex. The helmet draws normally when accessed from the Team Data screen and when Jacksonville is Player 2 (the second team on the pre-game screen).

2) The facemask on STL's Helmet isn't drawing correctly. It seems to be missing rows of tiles on the top and in the middle. 

Any thoughts as to what is going on here?

I've attached a screenshot which illustrates both these problems and the rom I'm working with.

EDIT: Okay, there seems to be something more going on here. MOST TEAMS in the player 1 slot feature some oddness in their helmets. Lions get a palette change on the logo, 49ers have a color shift on their face mask, other teams use tiles not from their helmet template. This isn't unique to this latest JAGS_HELMET rom and is an issue going back to the 2013 Preseason rom (as far as I've tested). Does the pregame screen draw the helmets from another location which is causing these problems?

post-8228-0-28841200-1373559082_thumb.pn

TSB org x1_NEW_GRAPHICS_JAGS_HELMET_2013-07-11.nes

Edited by keithisgood

Crisis averted. Found that helmet template 42 (the one originally for the rams that I've given to the Jags) draws from a seperate location in the hex when used by player one on the game intro screen. ($16CFB-$16D35)

I've attached the fixed rom. Still trying to figure out why the Rams' facemask is glitching.

Also found that DET an TEN logos are glitching on the pre-game screen in the player one slot (but again, not the player 2). I've checked and the oddness in player 1's helmet on the pregame screen goes all the way back to the original Tecmo Super Bowl.

TSB org x1_NEW_GRAPHICS_JAGS_HELMET_2013-07-14.nes

Edited by keithisgood

I realize this has been said before, but I think I'm done with the Large Helmets. I fixed the issues with some helmets showing up incorrectly on the Pre-Game screen (simple matter of me plugging the wrong number into the hex), I've fully implemented the Jags' gradient helmet and Restored the Rams' horn. I've put these changes into the official tsb org x1 rom.

I've put the latest rom in the dropbox (http://db.tt/4zrZsK1m). As an added bonus, this latest round of work forced me to write down all the location changes for team's large helmet logos in the hex. I'll compile this into an excel sheet soon and upload it as well.

Here's the revised Rams Helmet:

post-8228-0-89035900-1373994627_thumb.pn

Edited by keithisgood

Looking good. I see a few changes that need to be made. I personally think the teams that use black facemask that the colors should be swapped. The dark grey on the outside and the black on the inside. The black background makes the facemask look off and it looks better the other way.

Dolphins need a white facemask.

Bills need a grey facemask.

Browns need grey facemask.

Titans facemask needs to be Navy its Royal as of right now.

Vikings need a black facemask.

49ers need grey facemask.

I personally think the teams that use black facemask that the colors should be swapped. The dar grey on the outside and the black on the inside. The black background makes the 

I disagree. We already went through that edit and the grey as an outline was too thin. 

Yeah, the colors on the helmet stripe need to be flip-flopped and the facemask made white in the x1 rom. That second color blue looks pretty spiffy, but alas, the game won't allow.

I think some of the other facemasks are the wrong color as well. I'll look into color tweaks.