Other Hacked/Homebrew NES ROMs

philleyOphish

Do you guys play any other Homebrew/Hacked/Modified NES Roms besides TSB?

There are a few I'll upload.

Mario 14 is pretty sweet and pretty legit.

I'll have to find a few others.

(edit - added a couple more roms.)

Super Mario 14.nes

Mortal Kombat 3.nes

Aladdin (Unl).nes

dpadhero.nes

Super Mario World.nes

Street Fighter Alpha Zero 97 !.nes

Somari (Unl).nes

Aladdin (Unl).nes

Carnage 3 (SMB3 Hack).nes

Sonic 3D Blast 5 !.nes

Kart Fighter (Unl).nes

Mortal Kombat 3 - Special 56 Peoples.nes

Mortal Kombat Trilogy !.nes

BladeBuster.nes

dpadhero2.nes

Edited by philleyOphish

games like sonic, street fighter, motal kombat, etc, make me think that someone has the ability to "port" or convert (with probably a lot of hard work) a SNES or GEN game into 8-bit NES.  Has anyone been able to do this with TSBII or TSBIII.  I would like to see a ported version of TSBII or II over to the NES.

read somewhere about a guy converting Final Fantasy 7 to NES, looked pretty cool for what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_(Famicom)

The game is terrible, but the concept is insane. This company created their own mapper and extended the capacity of the NES' use of hardware. It can only be played on a ROM and will never make it onto a cart, but still crazy. Some guys at NesDev have been messing with it to try and play properly on a PowerPak

Final Fantasy VII English.nes

Do you guy play any other Homebrew/Hacked/Modified NES Roms besides TSB?

There are a few I'll upload into a ZIP file that I have.

Mario 14 is pretty sweet and pretty legit.

I'll have to find a few others.

Same concept above with all the fighting games - The original is Kart Fighter - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kart_Fighter . It uses a special chip, Huang-1, which is custom to the bootlegs that keep coming out.

thanks for these games, guys.  

here's one - http://www.chrismcovell.com/bc99.html

Bionic Commando 99 (Bionic Commando Hack).nes

and my PERSONAL favorite NES game (besides TSB), this was a demo in 1992, but one of the coolest games ever made, IMO.  very tough!  sweet music.

http://www.shmups.com/reviews/recca/index.html

Summer Carnival '92 - Recca.nes

Edited by buck

@Buck - summer carnival is very very sweet and also very tuff.  And you are welcome.  It's the least I can do for what you have done for the TSB community.  btw, you going to madison in March?

@Dave - You are right, Mario Adventure is amazing!  - going to play more later.

Edited by philleyOphish

Dpad hero and Dpad hero 2 are really hard.  It's also much harder to get into since the music is pretty sucky compared to actual rock band and guitar hero audio.

Any of you guys try Mario 14?  It's pretty legit the stuff you can do with just two buttons.  Very good hack/rom.

Edited by philleyOphish

This may be the greatest NES hack of all-time - Mario Adventure

& a close second - Zelda Challenge: Outlands

DahrkDaiz's Mario Adventure is definitely a must play.  That game is the reason I attempted hacking games in the first place.  I don't play video games too often anymore and a lot of the good ones are on the list already but I'll load up a simple pong game I created for NES to waste a few minutes now and then.

Imma Let you finish, Mario Adventure, but Extra Mario is the greatest romhack of all time. The game takes Super Mario 1 and makes it into a metroid-styled adventure game complete with powerups. Its not only my favorite rom hack, but one of my favorite NES games, period. The end boss is...intense. I cannot recommend Extra Mario highly enough. Great game.

And yes, the Translation patch for the horrible Chinese Pirate of Final Fantasy VII is nearly done. I played an earlier version and its a surprising amount of fun.

Wow, you are right.  That extra mario is fantastic.  It's a patch you have to put on the regular SMB game (not the SMB/Duck Hunt game).  And wow, it is a very complete rom.  Looking forward to trying this one out and seeing how complete it looks in the later levels.  I haven't gotten to any of the power ups yet.  But I'm very interested.  I'm glad we were all able to share this information.

(I'll post the rom here so you don't have to patch it.)

Extra Mario Bros.nes

Edited by Knobbe

loving these games, especially "Blade Buster".  shmups are my favorite.

thanks for the "extra mario" that looks awesome - but the "physics" are a bit different than I'm used to.  it seems like I'm "sliding and slipping" all over the place.

Edited by buck

So, so, so... This thread is good. And I think considering what TecmoBowl.org is about, I think it's more than on par with the content of what we're dealing with. As such, I'm going to move this thread to the Other Games forum, and pin it as a constant resource. Philley, please feel free to continue updating it with all sorts of the best retro ROM hacks and resources. Awesome stuff!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this is awesome stuff. I'm sorry, but I do have some noob questions if anyone can please answer them for me.

Do I need to do anything special in order to play these games? I ordered a DSTWO and should be getting it soon and I was wondering if I need any certain emulators? I've been told that NesDS is the best NES emulator out there. Is that true? And could I play any of these games with it? I'm using a 2GB micro SD card if that's relevant (probably not, but I'm a total; noob so I'm not sure)

Can I get in trouble by downloading these? My ISP is very strict on piracy. 

Again, sorry for the questions, I'm pretty computer illiterate and don't know much about this stuff.

Tiffani, to answer your questions:

Most of the games above can be played on most any NES emulator. From looking quickly at the nesDS documentation, it looks like you should be okay with most everything, excepting maybe some of the Chinese-made NES games (as many used custom hardware not found on the NES). 

Downloading the above hacks falls in a legal grey area. If you were to download plain NES game files (such as Super Mario Bros. 3 or Legend of Zelda), you can only legally do so if you own the physical cartridge of the game you're downloading. As the above are either hacks (modifications of the original games) or homebrews (all new NES games built from the ground up), legally, you should (should) be okay. I should also say I've never heard of an ISP restricting/prosecuting/cutting off/etc. users for downloading .nes files. I hope that covers it.

THAT SAID, i have another hack to add to the mix. It's a hack of the Legend of Zelda called The Legend of Link. I don't use the term lightly in saying it's epic. Like a Mix of Link's Awakening and Link to the Past on an NES. VERY cool. The downside here is that it's not compatible with all emulators. The author wrote a ton of original code for this one and some emus can't handle it. Full documentation can be found here: http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=7308

Legend of Zelda - The Legend of Link (v3.2).nes

Thanks, keithisgood. :)

And wow, I checked out that site and it looks amazing. The original The Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite games from when I was younger. This rom just looks incredible, what an awesome throwback.. I hope I can play this on nesDS or find another emulator that will play it.

If you or anyone else knows of any other cool roms like these, please let me know. :)

keithisgood, could I use that method to play translated roms? As an example, there's some Fire Emblem games on the SNES that never released in America that I would love to play if I could.

So, if I got a Japanese rom and the translation, would I be able to patch it using the above method?