32 NES TSB Files from CX_ROM

DrunkenGamer

We contacted CX_ROM a few months back about any notes, cheat sheets or any information he had on what all he did to create the 32-team rom. We've looked over them but I really couldn't say accurately what all is in the notes. We planned on either going through the process of creating a 32- team NES rom just to see how it's done so that we might be able to take that experience and carry it over to TSB3. Just really thought about it and I'm almost 100% sure this has never been posted on the site. 

So MGK, you might want to create a link to this thread in the Hacking Documention Thread. I hope this stuff is helpful to old and new guys alike.  Here are the files:

[MGK Edit: I added all of CX_ROM's attachements that he posted in this thread. It's the holy grail, friends.]

tsb2007-src.zip

All Files -TSB Folder.zip

Experiment.zip

Heyo! Now isn't this quite the present. I'm so happy to see that peeps are beginning to open up the floodgates of TSB secrets that they've come into. Members like Jstout and the like have been doing what they can over the past many years to help inform. But the 'open source' mentality of sharing 'secrets' lately is really inspiring to me, and I hope others too.

Thanks, Drunken! I'll link it soon, for sure.

Secrets are apart of the fun! Most of the modders here have egos. Me included. But I never sat on these files as to keep it a secret though. We just had it for informational uses. But your organizing the site did get me to recognize and think a lil differently. I forgot I even had these files.

Id love to see if someone can squeeze a couple more teams into the NES version for a larger college rom some day. But ultimately we (cane55 and myself) want to get a 32 team tsb3 rom one day.

Edited by drunken_honkey

Secrets are apart of the fun! Most of the modders here have egos. Me included. But I never sat on these files as to keep it a secret though. We just had it for informational uses. But your organizing the site did get me to recognize and think a lil differently. I forgot I even had these files.

Id love to see if someone can squeeze a couple more teams into the NES version for a larger college rom some day. But ultimately we (cane55 and myself) want to get a 32 team tsb3 rom one day.

A monetizing of pride via secrets in a dwindling breed of coders makes for folly. I do think the hacking community at TecmoBowl.org will grow beyond any height in its past, but leaving a larger trail of breadcrumbs will make that happen faster. If Bad_Al makes TSB Tool Supreme source code available, then the rest of us have little secrets worth keeping from each other. That's my take, at least.

I'm just glad more is being shared. So, thanks for that, good sir!

Just interested on if this is useful material buck? Is there any info in there that is useful to you?

not yet, man.  haven't looked at it since the first 15 minutes after I got it.

not sure what to do with it, actually, as I have no understanding of the NES and assembling it.  I'm sure I could spend way too much time getting into that world.  

for now, I'll just keep reading through the comments and hopefully discover something or get a new idea.

I do know there is a couple of weather notes. Thats one of the main things I hope to figure out. On TSB3 we have discovered a majority of areas that would need to be altered if we were to add teams. One of the good things about TSB3 is that we have TSB2 to compare against. The coding and programing are realitively similar. We can take how the programmers changed and added certain things in TSB3 to 30 teams from 28. Most of the added material was pushed to other areas. So im hoping someone can find the weather programing in NES. Hopefully itll be similar to how its done on TSB3.

Edited by drunken_honkey

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I get lost looking at the source, and I wrote most of it. Heh heh....

Anywho, I thought I posted all that stuff back then. I guess not. Sorry about that. I'll gather all my TSB related stuff and post it.

edit: The weather stuff is all custom. I played around with animating the rain and snow, but it didn't look too good with the limited palette of the NES and only having one background plane.

edit2: TSB Folder.zip

And I had forgotten about this: this.zip

I only did NFC logos, rosters for the 49ers and Cardinals , and stats for Vernon Davis and Frank Gore. The "Play Now" option will freeze the demo. This is in no way complete, just an expirement from a while back.

Edited by cxrom

I sent CX_ROM a message, and he posts all of his stuff. Pretty sweet, CX_ROM. Preeeeetty sweeeeet!

Sometimes I get lost looking at the source, and I wrote most of it. Heh heh....

Anywho, I thought I posted all that stuff back then. I guess not. Sorry about that. I'll gather all my TSB related stuff and post it.

edit: The weather stuff is all custom. I played around with animating the rain and snow, but it didn't look too good with the limited palette of the NES and only having one background plane.

edit2: attachicon.gifTSB Folder.zip

And I had forgotten about this: attachicon.gifthis.zip

I only did NFC logos, rosters for the 49ers and Cardinals , and stats for Vernon Davis and Frank Gore. The "Play Now" option will freeze the demo. This is in no way complete, just an expirement from a while back.

hey, what needs to be done to get ALT Jersey to work for the NFC West?  as is, only the "action sequence" ALT jerseys work.

this would be a useful fix.

Edited by buck

• 6 months later...