Help Wanted - Building NES TSB .IPS Patches

GameplayLoop

I've been talking to Bruddog lately about some of the projects we're working on here at TecmoBowl.org. One of them that Bruddog brought up that he'd like to eventually make into a reality, is potentially an .IPS patching program that works specifically with TSB, in that users would select an .IPS file from a drop-down menu or the like, and apply that .IPS to a TSB ROM. Bruddog likely has a clearer vision for the program.

What I'm looking for is any person(s) who are comfortable enough installing the various hacks listed in the Hacking Documentation thread, that they're willing to create individual .IPS patches of the ones that function well as patches? Before Bruddog can ever create a program, we would need .IPS patch files. So starting to create them now is the agenda at hand.

Does that make sense? Are there any volunteers familiar with creating patches and comfortable installing the hacks from the documentation thread?

I've been talking to Bruddog lately about some of the projects we're working on here at TecmoBowl.org. One of them that Bruddog brought up that he'd like to eventually make into a reality, is potentially an .IPS patching program that works specifically with TSB, in that users would select an .IPS file from a drop-down menu or the like, and apply that .IPS to a TSB ROM. Bruddog likely has a clearer vision for the program.

What I'm looking for is any person(s) who are comfortable enough installing the various hacks listed in the Hacking Documentation thread, that they're willing to create individual .IPS patches of the ones that function well as patches? Before Bruddog can ever create a program, we would need .IPS patch files. So starting to create them now is the agenda at hand.

Does that make sense? Are there any volunteers familiar with creating patches and comfortable installing the hacks from the documentation thread?

Potentially a web based version of this would be much cleaner though IPS type patches would make the hacks more promote-able to rom hacking sites who are sensitive about full roms

better have an "error check" or something - because a few of the more extreme hacks use the same "blank" space.

***maybe use some of the blank space towards the end of the rom to write some code that this proposed patcher looks at and can tell what hacks have been applied.

yeah - have this "patcher" write to and read the rom to indicate if a specific hack has been implemented.  then, someone could just use this patcher to open up and unknown rom and see what hacks have been applied (at least the common ones)

Edited by buck

better have an "error check" or something - because a few of the more extreme hacks use the same "blank" space.

***maybe use some of the blank space towards the end of the rom to write some code that this proposed patcher looks at and can tell what hacks have been applied.

yeah - have this "patcher" write to and read the rom to indicate if a specific hack has been implemented.  then, someone could just use this patcher to open up and unknown rom and see what hacks have been applied (at least the common ones)

I've considered the usage of similar blank space on the ROM. Either an error check, as Buck suggests, or denoting somehow that the hack utilizes space that other hacks also use. I don't think this program needs to be perfect out of the gate, but the holes need to be documented for people's use. First and foremost, .IPS patch files have to be created.

Yes, it would either have to have an error checker or you would have to start with an un-hacked rom to start. 

In the second scenario starting from a base unhacked rom is much easier to program since its easy to keep track of which hacks have been applied 

and which haven't. Rather than having to check empty space everywhere and make sure a hack doesn't exist.  

• 2 weeks later...

i was just thinking about making a thread request for this very thing. i don't know alot about hex jstout has taught me some,if i know where to go and what numbers to put in i am good,not so if have to think about moving bytes and the such. so whatever i can do i'll help,because if this gets done,jstout wont have as much work (j does alot for community,and my rom yearly) and make my process of getting my yearly release out to the community,and fans faster. It would be nice to have a  ips database for the year that shows when u win superbowl! so i am all ears. Thx MGK for all the hard work on the site!

Okay I whipped up the beginning of one. This will let you set quarter length, quarter countdown rate, turn preseason injuries on, set preseason injury rate, and turns on fast interception returns. Double click. Use the menu items to set stuff. When you are ready to save to the rom select the WRITE rom item. 

I'm sure this could be converted to a javascript for web based. 

I tested it once and it worked. 

TecmoHackSetter.zip

Okay I whipped up the beginning of one. This will let you set quarter length, quarter countdown rate, turn preseason injuries on, set preseason injury rate, and turns on fast interception returns. Double click. Use the menu items to set stuff. When you are ready to save to the rom select the WRITE rom item. 

I'm sure this could be converted to a javascript for web based. 

I tested it once and it worked. 

attachicon.gifTecmoHackSetter.zip

what does one do with a .jar file?  

• 3 months later...