Apple Valley, MN - 03/16/13 - Millards Mayhem I

8-bit

wheres the 2 shaky games? and a full recap?

I will be posting all the scores and games played on the website in a few days. No one managed to go undefeated, the competition was brutal. Lots of great players

I'm pretty busy the next few days, so it might be a lil bit for the updates to come :/

I will be posting all the scores and games played on the website in a few days. No one managed to go undefeated, the competition was brutal. Lots of great players

I'm pretty busy the next few days, so it might be a lil bit for the updates to come :/

I'll email you all the twitter pics if you don't have them.

Love me some twitter.

I posted my "Millard's Mayhem Experience" in the TSB-NES forum, but I thought it appropriate to post it here as well:

First, I need to thank 8bit for putting on a great tournament. It was a lot of work, and it's much appreciated.

It was a frustrating and humbling day for me in Apple Valley, MN on Saturday. There were many positives as well, including meeting some very cool people, but I'll break down the games first...

Pool Play: Game 1

Played a guy (forgot his name, sorry) in a cool Thurman Thomas "away" jersey. Very nice guy. I won the toss and offered TB - RAMS. He promptly chose the RAMS and he got the ball first. I knew I'd probably be okay when he was impressed by the speed that I set my playbook and lineup, plus the fact that he left Warner in at 2nd RB. He did suprise me by just chucking it up to Ellard (covered) on the first and third play - getting a JJ and CC (on Haddix) respectively for big gains. I tried to relax and tell myself the odds will catch up, and they did with a Haddix INT in the endzone on a covered Ellard. I prompted drive with Vinny and G. Anderson for a TD. He returns to his "Ellard" offense getting two more JJ's and then mixed it up by going to Flipper Anderson, who got a CC in the endzone. I move the ball again but lose a fumble (a trend of the day), but I pick him off with Haddix again as he continued to go to the Ellard well too many times. He had no answer for the TB offense, and Haddix picked up his 3rd INT of the game. I win comfortably 28-7.

Pool Play: Game 2

I play Nick T. - super nice guy who looks like Lex Luther from the show Smallville (I didn't tell him that though). He apparently made the sweet sixteen in Madison last year. He wins the toss and offers up HOU - KC. I quickly take HOU, and I'm feeling very happy. He was a grinder on offense running with Okoye and DeBerg a lot. He rarely threw the ball as I was taking RJ on D, and he didn't want to risk anything. I could consistently out-tap him, so I held him on his first two drives. I score quickly on my first possession, but Moon fumbles on a sack on a picked play before I can get to the hot route to end my second drive. He grinds out a long drive to even it up. I get a couple shots before half time, but couldn't connect on any. I score on my 1st possession of the 2nd half and Okoye fumbles after a long KO return. I quickly captialize the a burn route to Drew Hill that he takes to the house making 21-7 going into the 4th. I'm able to stop him again, but Moon grossly overthrows a wide open Hill TWICE leading to a punt. He's able to grind out a TD to make it 21-14 with about 1:30 on the clock. Then I check my conditions. Victor Jones is in BAD, so I put in Pinkett (White on the bench with his 19 BC). Despite the change he picks my run play up the middle and Pinkett promptly fumbles on his first carry. It's returned for a TD to tie it up. I take a couple shots, but no luck. Into overtime we go. I get the ball, and I'm feeling good. Then he picks my play, and the rush is so fast, I can't get the pass off to my hot, and Moon fumbles (again), and it's a scoop and score for the victory. Devastating loss 21-28 that makes my last pool game a must-win.

Pool Play: Game 3

Played a nice guy (sorry, forgot his name too) decked out in Packer garb. I win the toss and offer GB - NO thinking he'd take GB, but he consults with his friend and takes the Saints. I give him some crap, but when he sets his playbook and discover I can consistently out-tap him, I have no worries. However, he quickly goes up 0-7 thanks to yet another fumble returned for a score. I tie it up 7-7 and hold him, but a poor Majik man throw to an otherwise wide open Kemp leads to an INT and a FG, now down 7-10. I had had enough. I respond with 21 unanswered points until he hits Sharpe with a late game JJ bomb leading to a 28-17 victory for me, and a berth in the single elimination bracket. The guy says I have to wear his Packers hat the rest of the day (I was wearing an Adrian Peterson Jersey) because I won with the Pack. Considering how my luck went the next game, maybe I should have.

Bracket Play: 1st Round

I play Chad K. Nice, quiet guy. I offer MIN - WASH, and he takes the controller. I take MIN. I found out I could out-tap him, and I drove all the way to the 5 yard line on the opening drive. Then I hesitated (I was admittedly rattled by some of my earlier bad luck). I cycled to my open receiver but didn't fire right away and it cost me as he got there in time with Green for the INT on the goal line. He tried to grind out drives all day long but frequntly had to punt so I calmed myself down knowing my D would hold up. I drive into his territory again only to lose yet another fumble. He hits Monk on a JJ for 45 yards (his only catch and the majority of his 68 yards passing for the game) and he's able to grind it into the endzone to go up 0-7. I have time for one shot before half, and I time a bomb to AC perfectly with the "x" just inside the goal line. But no JJ and no CC...instead a meaningless INT to end the half. I check my conditions in the 3rd, and half my team is in BAD (including Walker) and the rest are in AVERAGE. "Ouch" says Sobhi who's watching the game with great interest since he'd play the winner. Despite that, I crank out a TD drive to knot it at 7-7 followed by another stop on D. I continue to move the ball at will inside his 30 yard line when he picks my run and Walker fumbles. He scoops it and his guy is flying and popcorning everybody, and he takes it 70+ yards to the house. 7-14. Next possession, I'm driving, but it stalls when Wilson (in GOOD) grossly overthrows a wide open AC on 3rd down. I decide to punt. After a couple first downs he takes a deep shot to a covered Gary Clark, and I catch a break when Carl Lee intercepts. My ball, 1:30 to go on my 20 yard line. I hit AC on a burn route that makes 3 defenders including MAN controlled Green to dive, and I rip off a good gain. I eventually get it all the way to the 5 yard line with time for 2 plays. I pass but everyone's covered so I scramble, but I decide to maximize my yardage and I cut into the middle of the field. I'm gang takled inside the 1 and...you guessed it...I fumble. His guys grab it on the 2nd bounce and then he ends the game. I held hime to 86 yards rushing and 68 yards passing (outgaining him by over 200 total yards), but I only get 7 points in the loss. Devastating.

In summary, I fumbled 9 times in 4 games, losing 8 of them, and had 4 of those returned for TDs. Before you attack me for not running OOB, I ran out a ton. There were 2 instances when I didn't, and one was by the sideline. The other fumbles all happened on picked plays. Plus I didn't have a single deep JJ or CC all tournament (I did have some on hot and timing routes). My conditions were also terrible, but I still should have overcome those factors. I had my chances.

I'm so disappointed because I wanted a shot at Sobhi in the next round, and I told him so. He said we could play later if I wanted. He was a very nice guy, and I was glad to meet him.

It was also nice to put a face to 8bit, even though he was understandably a bit too busy for us to talk much. Very nice guy though. It was great to see Eddy again. Very cool guy and good sport. Despite being knocked out of the pool play in part by my brother, he still cheered him on in his game against Bill K. - a game my brother should have won. I couldn't believe all the JJs and CCs Bill got in that game (went to overtime).

My only regret was having to leave early - a downside to carpooling with a pissed off brother that just lost a game he knows he should have won. He just wanted to go, plus a friend of mine who came to watch needed a ride to the airport, and I felt the need to accomodate. I would have liked to watch Sobhi and 8bit play, but I'm hopeful I'll get a chance to again sometime in the near future.

wheres the 2 shaky games? and a full recap?

Hope to have the vids up tomorrow.  Takes forever to upload on the youtube.  Uploaded it once, but youtube said it was too long.  Will retry tonight

it was a fun time.  i managed to stroll into the final four pretty easily, but sconnie took me down with his patented 100 yard bomb offense and a nice CC on 4th and long on his 20 or 30.  was nice to hear the whole crowd booing him!  but alas, i still lost.  oh well.

Yeah I was booing sconnie (who went under an alias like Barry Bonds or something)  I boo'd sconnie kind of like I used to Boo the NWO, Boo with a smile on your face.  Love how sconnie would berate the Nintendo like a coach works the refs to get calls.  I really think it worked.

Great tourney, was surprised how far people drove.  Everyone I talked to was from outside the Twin Cities.  

Everyone I played definitely new what they were doing, did not see much cannon fodder at the tourney.  Was 1 win away from the final four after barely getting into the playoffs so I was pleased with my performance.

I posted my "Millard's Mayhem Experience" in the TSB-NES forum, but I thought it appropriate to post it here as well:

First, I need to thank 8bit for putting on a great tournament. It was a lot of work, and it's much appreciated.

It was a frustrating and humbling day for me in Apple Valley, MN on Saturday. There were many positives as well, including meeting some very cool people, but I'll break down the games first...

Pool Play: Game 1

Played a guy (forgot his name, sorry) in a cool Thurman Thomas "away" jersey. Very nice guy. I won the toss and offered TB - RAMS. He promptly chose the RAMS and he got the ball first. I knew I'd probably be okay when he was impressed by the speed that I set my playbook and lineup, plus the fact that he left Warner in at 2nd RB. He did suprise me by just chucking it up to Ellard (covered) on the first and third play - getting a JJ and CC (on Haddix) respectively for big gains. I tried to relax and tell myself the odds will catch up, and they did with a Haddix INT in the endzone on a covered Ellard. I prompted drive with Vinny and G. Anderson for a TD. He returns to his "Ellard" offense getting two more JJ's and then mixed it up by going to Flipper Anderson, who got a CC in the endzone. I move the ball again but lose a fumble (a trend of the day), but I pick him off with Haddix again as he continued to go to the Ellard well too many times. He had no answer for the TB offense, and Haddix picked up his 3rd INT of the game. I win comfortably 28-7.

Pool Play: Game 2

I play Nick T. - super nice guy who looks like Lex Luther from the show Smallville (I didn't tell him that though). He apparently made the sweet sixteen in Madison last year. He wins the toss and offers up HOU - KC. I quickly take HOU, and I'm feeling very happy. He was a grinder on offense running with Okoye and DeBerg a lot. He rarely threw the ball as I was taking RJ on D, and he didn't want to risk anything. I could consistently out-tap him, so I held him on his first two drives. I score quickly on my first possession, but Moon fumbles on a sack on a picked play before I can get to the hot route to end my second drive. He grinds out a long drive to even it up. I get a couple shots before half time, but couldn't connect on any. I score on my 1st possession of the 2nd half and Okoye fumbles after a long KO return. I quickly captialize the a burn route to Drew Hill that he takes to the house making 21-7 going into the 4th. I'm able to stop him again, but Moon grossly overthrows a wide open Hill TWICE leading to a punt. He's able to grind out a TD to make it 21-14 with about 1:30 on the clock. Then I check my conditions. Victor Jones is in BAD, so I put in Pinkett (White on the bench with his 19 BC). Despite the change he picks my run play up the middle and Pinkett promptly fumbles on his first carry. It's returned for a TD to tie it up. I take a couple shots, but no luck. Into overtime we go. I get the ball, and I'm feeling good. Then he picks my play, and the rush is so fast, I can't get the pass off to my hot, and Moon fumbles (again), and it's a scoop and score for the victory. Devastating loss 21-28 that makes my last pool game a must-win.

Pool Play: Game 3

Played a nice guy (sorry, forgot his name too) decked out in Packer garb. I win the toss and offer GB - NO thinking he'd take GB, but he consults with his friend and takes the Saints. I give him some crap, but when he sets his playbook and discover I can consistently out-tap him, I have no worries. However, he quickly goes up 0-7 thanks to yet another fumble returned for a score. I tie it up 7-7 and hold him, but a poor Majik man throw to an otherwise wide open Kemp leads to an INT and a FG, now down 7-10. I had had enough. I respond with 21 unanswered points until he hits Sharpe with a late game JJ bomb leading to a 28-17 victory for me, and a berth in the single elimination bracket. The guy says I have to wear his Packers hat the rest of the day (I was wearing an Adrian Peterson Jersey) because I won with the Pack. Considering how my luck went the next game, maybe I should have.

Bracket Play: 1st Round

I play Chad K. Nice, quiet guy. I offer MIN - WASH, and he takes the controller. I take MIN. I found out I could out-tap him, and I drove all the way to the 5 yard line on the opening drive. Then I hesitated (I was admittedly rattled by some of my earlier bad luck). I cycled to my open receiver but didn't fire right away and it cost me as he got there in time with Green for the INT on the goal line. He tried to grind out drives all day long but frequntly had to punt so I calmed myself down knowing my D would hold up. I drive into his territory again only to lose yet another fumble. He hits Monk on a JJ for 45 yards (his only catch and the majority of his 68 yards passing for the game) and he's able to grind it into the endzone to go up 0-7. I have time for one shot before half, and I time a bomb to AC perfectly with the "x" just inside the goal line. But no JJ and no CC...instead a meaningless INT to end the half. I check my conditions in the 3rd, and half my team is in BAD (including Walker) and the rest are in AVERAGE. "Ouch" says Sobhi who's watching the game with great interest since he'd play the winner. Despite that, I crank out a TD drive to knot it at 7-7 followed by another stop on D. I continue to move the ball at will inside his 30 yard line when he picks my run and Walker fumbles. He scoops it and his guy is flying and popcorning everybody, and he takes it 70+ yards to the house. 7-14. Next possession, I'm driving, but it stalls when Wilson (in GOOD) grossly overthrows a wide open AC on 3rd down. I decide to punt. After a couple first downs he takes a deep shot to a covered Gary Clark, and I catch a break when Carl Lee intercepts. My ball, 1:30 to go on my 20 yard line. I hit AC on a burn route that makes 3 defenders including MAN controlled Green to dive, and I rip off a good gain. I eventually get it all the way to the 5 yard line with time for 2 plays. I pass but everyone's covered so I scramble, but I decide to maximize my yardage and I cut into the middle of the field. I'm gang takled inside the 1 and...you guessed it...I fumble. His guys grab it on the 2nd bounce and then he ends the game. I held hime to 86 yards rushing and 68 yards passing (outgaining him by over 200 total yards), but I only get 7 points in the loss. Devastating.

In summary, I fumbled 9 times in 4 games, losing 8 of them, and had 4 of those returned for TDs. Before you attack me for not running OOB, I ran out a ton. There were 2 instances when I didn't, and one was by the sideline. The other fumbles all happened on picked plays. Plus I didn't have a single deep JJ or CC all tournament (I did have some on hot and timing routes). My conditions were also terrible, but I still should have overcome those factors. I had my chances.

I'm so disappointed because I wanted a shot at Sobhi in the next round, and I told him so. He said we could play later if I wanted. He was a very nice guy, and I was glad to meet him.

It was also nice to put a face to 8bit, even though he was understandably a bit too busy for us to talk much. Very nice guy though. It was great to see Eddy again. Very cool guy and good sport. Despite being knocked out of the pool play in part by my brother, he still cheered him on in his game against Bill K. - a game my brother should have won. I couldn't believe all the JJs and CCs Bill got in that game (went to overtime).

My only regret was having to leave early - a downside to carpooling with a pissed off brother that just lost a game he knows he should have won. He just wanted to go, plus a friend of mine who came to watch needed a ride to the airport, and I felt the need to accomodate. I would have liked to watch Sobhi and 8bit play, but I'm hopeful I'll get a chance to again sometime in the near future.

Damn dude.........sh!tty luck.  You did a great job in describing the intensity of the Tourney.  Even the players with the best ball controll can fk it up and fumble at the most costly time.  Up here in the NW, we call that TECMO LUCK...cuzz it can go anyway, at any time.  Johnny usually holds on to the ball really well, but it only counts in crunch time, and it only takes one crucial f*%k up to cost you everything.  I'm hoping I happen to have one of those 'perfect storm' type a dayz, cuzz I know (as great as he is) one player can only do so much without some help........a couple a 90 yrd fumble recovery TD's would help too!

Edited by ~Tailback King~

Damn dude.........sh!tty luck.  You did a great job in describing the intensity of the Tourney.  Even the players with the best ball controll can fk it up and fumble at the most costly time.  Up here in the NW, we call that TECMO LUCK...cuzz it can go anyway, at any time.  Johnny usually holds on to the ball really well, but it only counts in crunch time, and it only takes one crucial f*%k up to cost you everything.  I'm hoping I happen to have one of those 'perfect storm' type a dayz, cuzz I know (as great as he is) one player can only do so much without some help........a couple a 90 yrd fumble recovery TD's would help too!

Thanks Tailback. Yeah, the tough breaks I was getting didn't leave me much margin for error. Unfortunately, I just wasn't good enough that day to overcome them. To be honest, I'm pretty pissed about it, which only motivates me for next time.

tough breaks for sure.  I wish I remembered my games better.  I know Kevin scored on me in pool play, but i think it was like this:

GM1: 35 - 0: I think I was Houston

GM2: 28 - 14: SEA over IND

GM3: 28 - 5 PHX over NYJ

GM4: 35 - 0 CIN over MIA

GM5: 14 - 31 TB (sconnie) over DAL.  the one with the lameness.  bill scored some extraneous TDs after it was over to make it look worse :)

Yeah I thought it was Super Tecmo fun as well.  I played in the Madison one this year and almost made it out of my bracket but lost to 8 bit's brother and then lost again but I got 4 games in so that was good.  It was nice to have a follow up in Minnesota.  I was hoping to improve and did better than I thought.  8 bit got me this time but I should of had him. Dang Jay Hillgenberg.  I did beat Bill K. with Jeff George the 2nd gun slinger in NFL history so I do feel good about that knowing I was the only one to beat him but I humbly lost to Sobhi in the 3rd-4th place game and need to study a little more. Can't wait for next year. Thanks for Having it!!!!

So if I understand this correctly, Bill K. won and Kris was 4th? I guess I don't feel too bad then considering I was one of just 3 in our bracket play and they were the other two. Both those guys were good players and good guys. I was the guy that brought up a few systems and a TV. I was very glad to help out as 8-bit and his brother are good dudes and did their best to do a fair and fun tourney. I did get to watch Sobbi play a couple games and that was quite impressive.

I had to leave from home at 5:30 Saturday morning and didn't have any caffeine so I was pretty out of it. I didn't even realize that it was only a 16 guy tourney and only 2 guys advanced from bracket play. I don't think it would have made any difference but it was disappointing nonetheless. Thanks for having me. Next time I'll plan better so I can stay for the whole tourney. Well done 8-bit and bro!

tough breaks for sure.  I wish I remembered my games better.  I know Kevin scored on me in pool play, but i think it was like this:

GM1: 35 - 0: I think I was Houston

GM2: 28 - 14: SEA over IND

GM3: 28 - 5 PHX over NYJ

GM4: 35 - 0 CIN over MIA

GM5: 14 - 31 TB (sconnie) over DAL.  the one with the lameness.  bill scored some extraneous TDs after it was over to make it look worse :)

How'd Johnny Johnson do for you vs the Jets?  That's a pretty rare matchup I don't see that much.

Sconnie aka Bill is a pretty good guy.  I like the excitement he brings.  That is what brings the Tecmo Tourney's life.  He even did the Mutomobo block shot signature in the championship which was totally awesome.  I would of liked to play him again in the championship but oh well.  Thanks for the videos Segathon.  It was classic.  To bad we don't have our matchup on video.

oh god. sconnie seems like a total prick in real life.

Not the case at all; Sconnie was a lot of fun to have around. Thanks for posting those pics/vids Sega. Its nice to have a little something to put away on the hard drive for the future use.

Yeah Sconnie was fine, it was all done tongue in cheek.  

I'll go ahead and respectfully disagree. Bill/Sconnie/BarryBonds turns off a lot of fellow tecmo-ers at tournaments in my experience. He's not exactly graceful when he reacts to the breaks that he gets during games (and not many people believe it's "tongue in cheek"). If you notice, he's the only person cheering for himself (or for him in general).

When I played him in the championship game in Brainerd, nobody was cheering for him. It could be that I was not as well known (and everybody likes an underdog), but I think he just rubbed everybody the wrong way throughout the day. I almost felt bad for him because no one was supporting him at all during that game. When I intercepted him in the 4th quarter, the whole room of 20+ guys went crazy. The guys playing for 3rd and 4th even stopped playing their game to watch the end. When I scored to take the lead with only a few seconds left, the place erupted and people started high-fiving me before I even kicked the XP. Now certainly the dramatic finish was part of that, but if you were there, you could tell no one was on his side.

I tried to start up a conversation with him at 8Bit's tourney, but he gave short responses and seemed disinterested. I respect him as a player, and I don't have any beef with him by any means, but it just is what it is I guess. My brother thinks he's a prick, and he's not shy about expressing that. Obviously others who watched the video got that impression as well.

What's up all? Great fun at the tourney.  My first time.  I'm happy I just won one game after dusting it off after 9 years!  Eric, great recap - although I methodically marched down on you the first drive.  That fumble wasn't until you had the game under control.  I am still going to buy you a Packers hat for the next one. 

It was awesome.  I hope there is another one soon.  In the meantime, I plan to learn the playbooks ;)

"I've got blockers!!!!!!!!!!!!!"