Bruddog's "Tecmo Playbook Hackers" Document v2.0

GameplayLoop

Attached is a document by forum member Bruddog that "every new TSB hacker should read", so says many people of this forum. New members would be wise to give it a read. It comes highly recommended and will help familiarize yourself with the kind of work ahead of you if you plan to get your hands dirty in re-coding elements of Tecmo Super Bowl's playbooks.

Forward by Bruddog, "This guidebook collects and organizes a lot of information found by a number of people that can also be found at in the hacking documentation forum. This guide is missing a lot of graphical hack information. Since I am not as knowledgeable or as good at the graphical hacks, I have left that information out."

TECMO PLAYBOOK HACKERS GUIDEBOOK ver2.0.doc

• 7 months later...

I'm finally getting around to editing plays & playbooks and this guide is a gem.  Huge thanks to bruddog for writing and YakMo for posting.  <_<

Question for the gurus.  There's 1 thing I'm unclear about - pointers.  When 'swapping' pass plays from one slot to another, does anything have to be changed with the "other" pass info (such as WR priority, pass timing, stand forever/throw/run, etc...) or does it follow the play when swapped? 

For swapping plays. I highly recommend theplay editing tool that emuware put out long ago. The one thing that I use it for that works perfectly is the play swap feature:

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/4100-nes-tsb-play-editor-beta3-release/

It makes sure to swap the blitz byte correctly. 

But to answer your question. As long as you are just swapping plays via  in the  0x1D4xx section, all you need to worry about is swapping the correct defensive bytes with the play you swap. The defensive bytes are located staarting at X1DC10. 

For swapping plays. I highly recommend theplay editing tool that emuware put out long ago. The one thing that I use it for that works perfectly is the play swap feature:

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/4100-nes-tsb-play-editor-beta3-release/

It makes sure to swap the blitz byte correctly. 

But to answer your question. As long as you are just swapping plays via  in the  0x1D4xx section, all you need to worry about is swapping the correct defensive bytes with the play you swap. The defensive bytes are located staarting at X1DC10. 

EDIT:  This is the same tool I'm using.

I noticed that this tool swaps the formation and defense reactions and I totally get all the blitz bytes, for both O and D (thanks to the guide).

Edited by Bodom