New Base NES ROM (32-Team Original TSB Gameplay)

GameplayLoop

ps - rosters/ratings/teams almost done.  

just need to finish up: jags, rams, cards and dolphins...

season simming is looking pretty good.  sack and int leaders are too high, by a little.  

but mostly having trouble getting high 4k/low 5k passing yards for season sim qbs (it happens, but is rare).  is it possible with stock sim attributes?  I've always changed the other overall sim bytes besides those accompanying the players.

Stock SIM attributes are difficult to get the right season-ending results for. As long as they're similar to the original 1991 ROM, I think you're good. In my experience, I've had to really mess with the range of SIM attributes to get season-ending stats closer to something NFL-centric. I wouldn't worry yourself too much on it if it parallels original 1991 TSB.

I don't know what you guys do to keep stats in line, but I found a usefull reverse quadratic java applet which can take existing data sets (NFL 2012 SIM low, mid high) and compare it to existing data sets (TSB 91 SIM Low, Mid High) and output a quadratic formula to keep all stats in line. I found it quite helpful in updating Baseball Simulator 1.000 with current stats.

You may have something better already, but in case you don't I know this saved me a boatload of time.

http://science.kennesaw.edu/~plaval/applets/QRegression.html

Edited by keithisgood

I don't know what you guys do to keep stats in line, but I found a usefull reverse quadratic java applet which can take existing data sets (NFL 2012 SIM low, mid high) and compare it to existing data sets (TSB 91 SIM Low, Mid High) and output a quadratic formula to keep all stats in line. I found it quite helpful in updating Baseball Simulator 1.000 with current stats.

You may have something better already, but in case you don't I know this saved me a boatload of time.

http://science.kennesaw.edu/~plaval/applets/QRegression.html

interesting.  

I was referring to the limits of the game itself.  

for example, you can give a qb "15" for his passing sim, but there is a limit as to how many yards he will actually get.  of course, other "user adjustable" variables are team offensive preference, team offensive value, and perhaps certain sim values of the wrs in question.

now, I am aware of and have frequently adjusted the "not-so-commonly adjusted" sim tables, but in this here case I am working with a virgin nes tsb rom and do not have such luxury.

a specific example is drew brees.  I have given him a "15" passing sim, with a "1" run, and a "3" pocket.  the saints offensive preference is "3" - which is "heavy passing".  when I auto-sim an entire season and view the qbs season statistics, Brees's yards are not as "high" as I would like.  the results I've gotten are acceptable - and I don't see any reason to start curve fitting data at this point in time, nor would it help this issue a single bit.

still cool idea, though.

Also, Keith, any chance you can take a crack at miniaturizing your NFL logo to fit the Tecmo Sports News end-game stats screen? Also, also, not that it's a huge deal in any way, but with your new logo (which rocks) does this mean the shadow on the game menu screen in kaput? Just curious.

1) I tried to re-implement the shadow on the Menu Screen but the new logo is slightly shorter, making for some palette issues on the top of the crest; there may be a way to put the shadow back but not that I can see right now.

2) Yes I can update the Tecmo Sports News Shield. Looks pretty good as-is; I'll just tweak what's there.

3) The TB helmet shares the highlight color for the NFL logo on that screen. A color swap is attached below; it looks odd as it is, but I could just get rid of all the darker highlighting blue on the NFL shield here.

3) [part 2] To swap the colors on the tecmobowl.org logo, I had to get rid of some extraneous anti-aliasing on the NFL shield, but I don't think it will be missed.

post-8228-0-13493700-1373224002_thumb.pn

Edited by keithisgood

Tweaked the Tecmo sports News logo. Dropbox updated (http://db.tt/4zrZsK1m) and screenshots (before on the left, after on the right) attached below.

I've been changing the NFL shield colors elsewhere from 11 (Blue) and 25 (red) to 02 (darker blue) and 15 (darker red), as I feel this looks more like the actual NFL logo. However, I tried changing the colors on the field of play NFL logo and it looked too dark to me. The blue on the logo is also the blue on the midfield stripe. I've attached a mock-up of this (haven't changed the colors in the rom yet) below. I think the lighter blue and red look better; any other thoughts?

post-8228-0-80866800-1373245560_thumb.pn

post-8228-0-76755700-1373245585_thumb.pn

post-8228-0-26294200-1373245746_thumb.pn

I agree with you that the lighter blue looks better on the field of play. The deeper blue brings the logo to the foreground too much, IMO. Also, teams using that color are going to get lost in there. Clearly, I'm open to other peoples opinions on the matter.

I think it's solid work overall, though. Love the edits you've made, Keith.

My opinion is that the Tecmo pink has always sucked.  Wish you could replace everything pink with legit red.  I vote for the darker color.

Drummer's rom has a dark red for "NFL," and I love it.

post-10763-0-12272100-1373256667_thumb.j

Edited by Tecmonster

RE: colors

dear triggers,  

you gotta remember the TeleVision!  shit is DARK on a real TV set.  that pink aint really pink in REAL LIFE.  believe me.  

theoretical emulator colors are deceptive food.  

stick with the real deal. and don't go reinventing too many wheels because some emulator makes it look pretty.

love,

man who likes to play on real NES cart

PS - use VIRTUANES to get the closest colors to real TV you can get, IMO.

Edited by buck

Yeah, I've been testing graphics changes on VirtuaNES as well as FCEUX, trying to find colors that work best for emulation and carts. 02 Blue and 15 Red look quite good on both, except on the field of play. I recommend anyone interested to tinker through the rom with VirtuaNES to check the colors on the updated graphics and let me know if anything looks funky. I believe I've already adjusted the colors to look good on both emulators and carts, but I may have missed something.

Edited by keithisgood

Yeah, I've been testing graphics changes on VirtuaNES as well as FCEUX, trying to find colors that work best for emulation and carts. 02 Blue and 15 Red look quite good on both, except on the field of play. I recommend anyone interested to tinker through the rom with VirtuaNES to check the colors on the updated graphics and let me know if anything looks funky. I believe I've already adjusted the colors to look good on both emulators and carts, but I may have missed something.

good to hear!  

The bad-thing about using "darker" red and blue is that it might clutter the field more when players/various uniforms are on it.  because some teams will look better using those "darker" reds and blues than the logo.

big picture is all I'm saying.  

I need to get virtuanes going and double-check these uniforms/skin colors, too.

Edited by buck

I have a suggestion - no "tecmobowl.org" references in this BASE ROM at all, because that is going beyond premise of this ROM.  

Upgrading common NFL Logos and stuff is alright.  But I think you (Keith, MGK) should reserve "Branding" and "custom-izations" for another ROM (maybe the actual TBorg rom or whatever).  

Because this is a "base" rom for a hacker to work with.  The more stuff that's altered by "us" will have to be possibly "undone" by said hacker.  So that is counter productive.

Edited by buck

I have a suggestion - no "tecmobowl.org" references in this BASE ROM at all, because that is going beyond premise of this ROM.  

Upgrading common NFL Logos and stuff is alright.  But I think you (Keith, MGK) should reserve "Branding" and "custom-izations" for another ROM (maybe the actual TBorg rom or whatever).  

Because this is a "base" rom for a hacker to work with.  The more stuff that's altered by "us" will have to be possibly "undone" by said hacker.  So that is counter productive.

That hadn't occurred to me but its a very good idea. Any ideas what to put next to the NFL shield on the intro screen?