New Base NES ROM (32-Team Original TSB Gameplay)

GameplayLoop

Okay, slight facepalm on my part; in designing the NFL shield I forgot to take into account that game palettes can only be changed in 4x4 blocks. The off-colored edge tiles on the NFL shield on the field of play can't be fixed as such, so I'm going to have to do yet another re-design, this one basically keeping the shield shape of the original (as that's all that fits in terms of tiles and palette) while updating the NFL font, football and stars. I believe there's already a shield like this floating around; I'll simply tweak what's already been done.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, okay, okay. So, first of all, I really want to thank the contributors of this project putting in the effort to see a refreshed update to CX_ROM's amazing ROM. Particulalry Buck and Keith. I don't imagine Keith had any idea that his helmet updates were going to be so widely appreciated. His willingness to jump onboard and so readily share his work for the base ROM is great. We need more members like him! Buck gets a dozen cookies of his choice for participating in execution and the developmental conversation of the ROM. Buck really "gets" this project, and that's because he's a great ROM maker (for lack of a better term), has been around for a long time, has read all of the TSB debates and hacking threads, and generally, puts all of his TSB accrued knowledge over the years to very good use.

But for everyone who has participated, and that's a lot of us, thank you. I think it's a really worthwhile venture, since CX_ROM's next update may require some additional time / testing. It's awesome to add more detail to an already polished baseline ROM like this.

We're about two months away, give or take a cup of coffee, until the legions are going to be knocking down our doors for this year's major TSB players / experiences. The TSB.org ROM is, obviously, a great tool for generating awareness of this site, inspiring new TSB fans to take-up-arms and participate toward helping make the overall network to be better / stronger / more alive. And this base ROM will be a fine addition to the veteran or new ROM makers should they desire to start fresh on a new project, which will continue to happen more, and not less, I believe.

I'll be dedicating sections of this weekend to refresh the forum some and update notes about this project. I'm probably going to hand off, or try to, what small ideas / projects I had to do myself, as I'd rather see them done sooner than later. I'm really sorry about that, but this f'ing play I'm in is domineering my life, save for the occasional thread or response.

Please continue to list your thoughts / ideas / contributions until the project is entirely complete. Most of the remaining work that needs to go into the base ROM are small-ish tweaks. So, new ideas fitted to the overall conversation / work is welcomed.  But please do read the entire thread before participating, so you have a firm understanding of where we've come from in our work on the ROM, and why.

More soon!

A list of screens still requiring editing:

post-6558-0-12023400-1361567524.png

^ SCREEN - 01

1. If someone can either change out the logo with the one I made for TB.org's ROM, or make a better one themselves. I'm open to either, and thankful for both!

2. "Team" NFL or "TB.org" NFL? Either way works for me. You can use mine or something else entirely. It would be good added promotion for the site, should new ROM makers come around.

post-6558-0-06196300-1361567532.pngpost-6558-0-66190500-1371318199_thumb.pn

^ SCREEN - 02

1. Great job on the Player Association logo, Keith.

2. My only issue with it, is that it's too tall. In the leaders screen, there isn't any padding between it and the WRs column. I know this is nit-picky, but I'm just gonna throw that out there. :)

post-6558-0-96991600-1361567539.png

^ SCREEN - 03

1. Anyone feel changing this is worth it? Many ROM makers have different variations of this. I like my own used for TB.org's, but I removed a lot. I'm open for whatever someone wants to do with this. Nor do I care leaving it as is. It might be considered an unnecessary change.

post-6558-0-59972000-1361567559.png

^ SCREEN - 04 (and in relation to the entire intro movie w/ players)

1. Do we update this? Leave it as is? I like mine in TB-org's ROM, but I don't care if we leave it as is. All of the documention to this point is based off of the original screens, so I could see why leaving them as it would be more popular of a choice.

post-6558-0-53268900-1361567610.png

^ SCREEN - 05

1. I saw that in TSB org x1_NEW_GRAPHICS (which I think we might want to start adding .00-updates to the .NES file name itself to keep track of when we're posting new versions that individuals are altering) removes the "32 TEAM EDITION" text. I think we should keep this is, so people know they're playing a different version of TSB right away.

2. Update the date.

post-6558-0-60821800-1361567615.png

^ SCREEN - 06

1. Can someone provide any updates on the shadow returning?

post-6558-0-09952600-1361568763.png

^ SCREEN - 07

1. Updating the end-of-game NFL logo? Is there a preferred ROM out there that already uses a good one? Should a new one be made?

post-6558-0-88125600-1361568847.png

^ SCREEN - 08

1. Update the Roman numerals? To--what?

[ Last Updated | 6.15.2013 ]

-- Updated first page TO-DO LIST, UPDATES, and added new QUESTIONS sections.

QUESTIONS posted here for quick viewing:

1. Anyone going to redo Team SIM stats?

2. Anyone going to redo Team Playbooks?

3. End-of-game credits? I suggest we leave them as is with the Japanese developers. I'd be way more inclined to give Keithisgood and Buck major credits on the upcoming TB-org iteration.

[ Last Updated | 6.15.2013 ]

-- Updated first page TO-DO LIST, UPDATES, and added new QUESTIONS sections.

QUESTIONS posted here for quick viewing:

1. Anyone going to redo Team SIM stats?

2. Anyone going to redo Team Playbooks?

3. End-of-game credits? I suggest we leave them as is with the Japanese developers. I'd be way more inclined to give Keithisgood and Buck major credits on the upcoming TB-org iteration.

regarding rosters and or "teams" in general - I can do a 1st draft of #1 and #2 (get something working with reasonable yearly numbers), we can decide on what to keep or change - especially regarding rosters, which are not quite finished.

then, in reference to your post with all the pictures, I don't mind colors being changed, but my stance is that this thing should be kept fairly "virgin" (don't go hacking the hell out of all the graphics and too much code - although I LOVE the NFLPA logo) - to minimize the number of re-invented wheels for future tsb rom hackers.

Edited by buck

regarding rosters and or "teams" in general - I can do a 1st draft of #1 and #2 (get something working with reasonable yearly numbers), we can decide on what to keep or change - especially regarding rosters, which are not quite finished.

then, in reference to your post with all the pictures, I don't mind colors being changed, but my stance is that this thing should be kept fairly "virgin" (don't go hacking the hell out of all the graphics and too much code - although I LOVE the NFLPA logo) - to minimize the number of re-invented wheels for future tsb rom hackers.

To your first point, great. Awesome, Buck.

To your second point, my opinion is that we just keep it as is with the graphics, save for updating outdated logos / branding. I love Keith's NFLPA logo, I just wonder if it's a liiiiittle too big? :) Cinema screens, I think we should just leave as is, again, save for NFL shields, NFLPA, and the scrolling text change you made. I also wouldn't mind the taking out or changing of the Roman numeral stuff.

To your first point, great. Awesome, Buck.

To your second point, my opinion is that we just keep it as is with the graphics, save for updating outdated logos / branding. I love Keith's NFLPA logo, I just wonder if it's a liiiiittle too big? :) Cinema screens, I think we should just leave as is, again, save for NFL shields, NFLPA, and the scrolling text change you made. I also wouldn't mind the taking out or changing of the Roman numeral stuff.

MGK, when you did that work for the teams "ready-set-hut intro screen", with Tom Brady, Harrison, etc, was that all "palette work"? or did you tweak some graphics/code?  

I just think that those really looked good and think that the overall best modern QB/RB/LB should be represented here.  (montana, barry, LT) = brady/manning/rodgers/brees + peterson + JJWatt/ravens dude/Demarcus Ware or whatever.

Edited by buck

A little of both. I changed HEX colors, and used Tile Layer Pro to shuffle / redraw some things. I didn't move anything around in the ROM to new locations, to my recollection. Some of the screens were more difficult than others. The first two Giants LT scenes were the most difficult. I hope that answers your questions.

My thinking of what needs to be edited for a base ROM isn't the opening. But if someone wants to take a crack at it, or port over my intro into the ROM and redo it, than I'm all for it.

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION: I am working on Tecmo stuff this weekend for the TB-org '14 ROM / Website stuff (recreating the work that Knobbe deleted! ;) ). If you're available to do so as well (Buck, Keith, Knobbe, Dave, whomever that actually helps with these things), I will actually turn on the site chat thing and we can have Tecmo dates and work on the ROM.

Regarding the player ratings:

I compared the original game's average core player rating with the 2013 version and here's what I found:

1991 offensive starters: 30-69-34-34

2013 offensive starters: 31-69-35-34

1991 defensive starters: 29-37-44-48

2013 defensive starters: 32-41-48-53

So, the new offensive ratings are almost perfectly consistent with the original, but there's 3-5 point "inflation" with the defense.  Was this done intentionally, to tilt the scales more toward the defense a little bit?

Regarding the player ratings:

I compared the original game's average core player rating with the 2013 version and here's what I found:

1991 offensive starters: 30-69-34-34

2013 offensive starters: 31-69-35-34

1991 defensive starters: 29-37-44-48

2013 defensive starters: 32-41-48-53

So, the new offensive ratings are almost perfectly consistent with the original, but there's 3-5 point "inflation" with the defense.  Was this done intentionally, to tilt the scales more toward the defense a little bit?

which ratings are you referring to?  

Edited by buck

I'mmmmm sorry. I didn't mean to post TB.org TSB '14. I meant this new base ROM, which I had just been thinking of (in terms of some game details) as utilizing as the base for the upcoming TSB.org ROM. Total Freudian slip. That's what I get for posting while at work, during working.

[ Last Updated | 6.29.2013 ]

FINAL TO-DO LIST                                              

As always, let me know if I've missed anything.

BUCK:

1. Updated 32-Team TSB-model Rosters

2. SIM Stats

3. Playbooks

KEITH:

1. Finish the 3 larger NFL Logos (Left and Right side field color pixels)

MGK:

1. Port over "TB-org Team NFL" intro screen.

2. Port over updated "Tecmo Sports News" NFL shield.

JSTOUT: (yet-to-be-contacted)

1. Fix options screen to blank-out unused options.

2. Tecmo Super Bowl Selection Screen (Fix red color in "Tecmo")

QUESTIONS                                                        

1. Keith, is it possible to shrink the NFLPA logo a little? See the above screenshot to see how large it is on the NFL Leaders page.

Updates:

I changed out the intro "Team NFL" w/ Shield screen with "TB.ORG" w/ revised Shield.

I changed out the old Tecmo Sports News NFL Shield in the post-game stats screen with the new Tecmo Sports News Shield.

A couple of observations:

1. My "TB.ORG" intro screen could definitely be turned into "TecmoBowl.ORG" with some artistry. I am fine with the way it is, but I also know that it could be better, and am open to someone changing the logo more.

2. My "TB.ORG" intro screen NFL Shield is the OLD shield essentially with updated stars / outline. The NFL font could still be further updated. I welcome someone doing that.

3. The Tecmo Sports News updated NFL Shield has been taken from another source, and could use some editing love. I welcome someone doing that.

Conclusion: I think my updates are an improvement, but I think my updates could be further updated to be better. I welcome someone doing that.

TSB org x1_NEW_GRAPHICS.zip

Looks good, but is just wrong to use "tb.org" when that is not what this site is.  in fact, why don't you check out tb.org, I did!

Updates:

I changed out the intro "Team NFL" w/ Shield screen with "TB.ORG" w/ revised Shield.

I changed out the old Tecmo Sports News NFL Shield in the post-game stats screen with the new Tecmo Sports News Shield.

A couple of observations:

1. My "TB.ORG" intro screen could definitely be turned into "TecmoBowl.ORG" with some artistry. I am fine with the way it is, but I also know that it could be better, and am open to someone changing the logo more.

2. My "TB.ORG" intro screen NFL Shield is the OLD shield essentially with updated stars / outline. The NFL font could still be further updated. I welcome someone doing that.

3. The Tecmo Sports News updated NFL Shield has been taken from another source, and could use some editing love. I welcome someone doing that.

Conclusion: I think my updates are an improvement, but I think my updates could be further updated to be better. I welcome someone doing that.

post-5602-0-17699300-1372886095_thumb.pn

Before I start swapping tiles and changing the hex, just wanted to make sure this is what we want with the Players Union Logo and NFL shield logo. It's a bit hard to see here, but since the Player's Union logo is smaller, there is much less anti-aliasing. I BELIEVE that this NFLPA design uses less tiles, so once I've got it implemented, there should be 7 extra tiles to use in the current TB.org logo if need be.

And the Lettering on the NFL shield may look slightly truncated on the left and right sides due to palette limitations. Thinning the letters make them look too weak; this was the best compromise given the NES color limitations.

If these look okay, I'll put them into the latest rom sometime this weekend.

post-8228-0-47801900-1373038233_thumb.pn

post-8228-0-88765600-1373040314.png

Edited by keithisgood

ps - rosters/ratings/teams almost done.  

just need to finish up: jags, rams, cards and dolphins...

season simming is looking pretty good.  sack and int leaders are too high, by a little.  

but mostly having trouble getting high 4k/low 5k passing yards for season sim qbs (it happens, but is rare).  is it possible with stock sim attributes?  I've always changed the other overall sim bytes besides those accompanying the players.