New Base NES ROM (32-Team Original TSB Gameplay)

GameplayLoop

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I was unaware the Sim code for NFC West teams on cxrom's 32-team rom was still buggy. Can someone explain exactly what the issue is? And Maynard, thanks for providing individual Set commands to fix... whatever the problem is! I'll put them in my rom as soon as I know exactly what they do.

1. NFC West "Offense Preference" Bug

(when playing live, heavy pass does heavy rush)
x273B4 change to x20 xB6 x9F

SET(0x273b4, 0x20b69f)

2. NFC West "SIM" Bugs
x27479 to x2747B should be x20 xB6 x9F (this goes to cx_rom's written code for Team 1)
x27481 to x27483 should be x20 xB6 x9F (this goes to cx_rom's written code for Team 2)
SET(0x27479, 0x20b69f)

SET(0x27481, 0x20b69f)
x27FCE should be xE0 (this makes it compare team value correctly)

SET(0x27fce, 0xe0)

I want to add that I'm loving this thread and the ideas for editing cxrom's 32-team rom. I love the original game and the few times I make roms I try to follow that style as closely as possible. I think I'm pretty much what your target audience is, so if you want more opinions from someone who hates most hacks, ask away. I wish I checked this thread earlier, I would have liked to do the ratings. Basing current players on the old ones is pretty much how I do ratings, anyway.

I'm so glad you seem to be keeping out the PA and QCK hacks so far. Honestly I like the QCK hack that makes peeps return picks faster but the few times I've checked it out they were too fast. People seem to go from not going anywhere to TD every time. The PA hack I kind of like the idea of, but I've known PA did nothing since around 2000, and I suspected before that. I'm used to it not doing anything, and I like having only one main passing stat to worry about when doing ratings. 

I also assume no return hacks will be put in for this? That is a good thing as I think it changes the original gameplay too much. Even before I had a clue, I could see that Bo Jackson wasn't returning kicks at 75ms. The way the game is a 44ms KR is a return god. Allowing people to put 63ms starters in there is just silly. I actually go back and re-rate the MS of all RTs and SSs to reflect how good the team was. I make sure RTs max out at 44ms (maybe 50 if someone really stands out).

Keep up the good work all, looking forward to having a more bug-free 32-team rom. I don't think I have the skills to help with what's left at this point, but maybe I could play-test down the road.

First go at the new NFL shield. I made use of some blank tiles stored in the same bank with the Menu Screen NFL Logo. As of now, I had to get rid of the drop shadow to get it to display correctly (due to changing palette data for some of the right-hand tiles). The tile data is in the rom right now, its only a matter of updating the shields on the Field and on the Intro Screen.

cD9vNtw.png

Thoughts? Should we hold another 3-sprite-change election?

TSB org x1_NEW_GRAPHICS(2013-03-25).nes

Edited by keithisgood

First go at the new NFL shield. I made use of some blank tiles stored in the same bank with the Menu Screen NFL Logo. As of now, I had to get rid of the drop shadow to get it to display correctly (due to changing palette data for some of the lefthand tiles). The tile data is in the rom right now, its only a matter of updating the shields on the Field and on the Intro Screen.

cD9vNtw.png

Thoughts? Should we hold another 3-sprite-change election?

That looks awesome!

the purist will note that the real nfl logo doesn't have a white stripe on its perimeter.  but in this context it probably looks better with it.  not sure.

post-5602-0-73476600-1364256200_thumb.pn

Edited by buck

Yeah, I didn't use a border last time because my source image didn't have one. But painted on a field, and on nfl.com as Maynard has pointed out, the logo includes a white border.

sounds good to me.  thanks for doing all the tough work on graphics!

Here's the shield fixed for the intro:

0e8nlWI.gif

Running into a problem with the midfield logo, the same thing that caused me to axe the drop shadow on the menu screen:

wS0EByv.png

The re-drawn logo includes border tiles which require all three colors (Red for Lettering, Blue for Border, White for interior/stripe). As the above pic shows, this creates issues with certain tiles where (as of now) it shows black adjacent to certain tiles. There are a few ways around this:

First would be to change the background palette color to green instead of black for the game screen and add two palettes which include black for the borders and crowd. The tiles which display player data would then have to be re-colored in Tile Layer and appropriate palette values would have to be changed. The trade-off for this strategy would be the loss of either blue or red at the top of the screen where player names/time is displayed and a slight loss of color variation in the crowd.

Option two would be to re-draw the NFL logo; adding another pixel of white border and stretching it lengthwise to cover up the black background color currently in use. This would be at the cost of fidelity to the actual NFL logo.

So:

1) Which fix is preferable

2) Would changing the background color for the game screens affect anything else?

3) Is there a better way to fix this?

If anyone wants to poke around with it, I've attached the rom.

TSB org x1_NEW_GRAPHICS(2013-03-26).nes

Edited by keithisgood

Don't worry, this should be an easy fix.  I will poke.  Probably the first byte in a string of tiles needs to be tweaked -  is the palette (or how the colors overlay or something like that).

Or have you already addressed that (the actual hex code for the field logo)?

Edited by buck

I have not changed palette assignments in the hex. Once I saw the issue I simply stopped.

I don't believe this can be fixed by tweaking hex. It's not an issue of which palette the logo uses but rather an issue with the palettes themselves. The tiles on the bottom/edges of the logo will need four colors to display properly: Red, Blue and White for the logo and Green for the Field. The NES, however, only allows three colors per palette with a fourth background color shared by all palettes. So the only way to get Blue, Red, White and Green into one palette is to change the background color from Black to Green. This would remove black from each of the other three palettes, replacing it with green. Therefore, I'd need to insert black into one or more of the other palettes to properly display the status bar on the top of the screen and the crowd. Also, I'm not certain where in the hex the game screen background color is stored to change it.

So the final product (assuming I can change the shared background color) would be that we lose a color in the top of the screen and the crowd, but the logo and field would display correctly.

Edited by keithisgood

I have not changed palette assignments in the hex. Once I saw the issue I simply stopped.

I don't believe this can be fixed by tweaking hex. It's not an issue of which palette the logo uses but rather an issue with the palettes themselves. The tiles on the bottom/edges of the logo will need four colors to display properly: Red, Blue and White for the logo and Green for the Field. The NES, however, only allows three colors per palette with a fourth background color shared by all palettes. So the only way to get Blue, Red, White and Green into one palette is to change the background color from Black to Green. This would remove black from each of the other three palettes, replacing it with green. Therefore, I'd need to insert black into one or more of the other palettes to properly display the status bar on the top of the screen and the crowd. Also, I'm not certain where in the hex the game screen background color is stored to change it.

So the final product (assuming I can change the shared background color) would be that we lose a color in the top of the screen and the crowd, but the logo and field would display correctly.

ok, I will be right back. there will be no need to change any palettes.  it will be a hex issue.

here's what I think -  

it is a bit complicated, but it has to do with the way it's drawn. the hex code (around 0x2cxxx) needs to be changed to adapt to the larger logo and the different tiles you used (the 1st byte of the 17 byte chains).  

by the way, have you seen this?  it doesn't explain everything but will give you an idea of where I'm coming from

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/13441-nes-tsb-map-of-field/

I won't be able to do it as quick as I thought (will do trial and error to see what is up),

jstout could fix it in a heartbeat, I bet.

again, I am 99% certain you don't need to be changing any palettes.

Edited by buck

I did see that field map; that's how I found tile data for the logo. I'm still not 100 percent on how you plan to change it, but if you can do it, you're a better man than I.  Let me know what you find out.

where are those tiles at (like in a tile editor - are they in the same area as the rest of the field logo)? that aren't the correct color - the bottom-right lip of the L and the Top tip of the N and left side of N and bottom of N?

edit - found the N, lol

Edited by buck

I remember the midfield logo being a real bitch when I was making my BCS rom. If I recall correctly I made my logo big enough to encompass the drop shadow on the menu screen, which I believe helped let the midfield logo appear correctly. I think this is the stretching option you referred to. I was lucky enough to find a logo that was the right proportion, but if this isn't it could be tough.

One thing I don't understand is you seem to have the same number of colors as the original game. Why can't you just follow the original model more closely?

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left