New Base NES ROM (32-Team Original TSB Gameplay)

GameplayLoop

• 4 weeks later...

Progress report? I started a new job in early March, so I've been very, very MIA save for quick visits and message drops. I'm finding my rhythm now at work, and wanted to know if this project was still being etched away at? Keith and Buck being the primary do-ers of this new Base ROM (full credit/love awarded), and admittedly, me acting mainly as administrative assistant--which I'm totallllly O.K. with in my masculinity, by the way. ;)

Before we know it, the pre-football season will be upon us, and I wanted to check in and see what we all thought of getting a working version (for testing / final edits) within the next couple of months, so that a new base ROM could be ready for public use in what could be early ROM iterations/developments for the 2013-14 season.

How does that sound to you homies?

I'm waiting for "official" uniform changes (today) to finalize the helmets. Unless someone has an ingenious solution to the Jags' color-gradient helmet, I think we're done on that front.

The small helmet icons still need to have the "white bumper" taken off the backs. I'd tried to do it myself but haven't gotten them finished yet. If whoever re-did the small helmets (I think it was buck or jstout?) could finish them to remove the white bumpers [lumbergh] that'd be greaaaaat [/lumbergh].

The NFL shield may have to be re-proportioned to fit the graphical space of the old one due to palette limitations. Buck had said he had a workaround, but as you can see, that was some time ago. 

I've got some free time this weekend and had actually planned to take another look at the graphics I've yet to finish. I think that was it on my end, unless I'm forgetting something.

I'm waiting for "official" uniform changes (today) to finalize the helmets. Unless someone has an ingenious solution to the Jags' color-gradient helmet, I think we're done on that front.

The small helmet icons still need to have the "white bumper" taken off the backs. I'd tried to do it myself but haven't gotten them finished yet. If whoever re-did the small helmets (I think it was buck or jstout?) could finish them to remove the white bumpers [lumbergh] that'd be greaaaaat [/lumbergh].

The NFL shield may have to be re-proportioned to fit the graphical space of the old one due to palette limitations. Buck had said he had a workaround, but as you can see, that was some time ago. 

I've got some free time this weekend and had actually planned to take another look at the graphics I've yet to finish. I think that was it on my end, unless I'm forgetting something.

I did not find a work around and I suggest that we make the shield size match up better with the original shield.

I will get to work on those text changes.

I think this is what we are going to be looking at (although not an official release): http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/4/24/4259602/new-dolphins-uniform-leak-reaction

I love the Vikings "Flat Purple" look on the helmet.  Also Like the white/white/white Dolphins jerseys.

I'm waiting for "official" uniform changes (today) to finalize the helmets.

Woah. Are you saying someone added the white bumper to the main (latest/current) .ROM file being traded around for editing? That was a very poor decision on someone's part. Especially with a visual element that was more or less an experiment.

How the helmets are drawn in the hex was changed to make future editing easier and to make them more true to the actual helmet designs. One of the features that came from this was a white bumper on the back of each helmet. I've tried to take off the ones that don't belong, but I believe some need to be re-drawn in the hex to get them to match their Tecmo Super Bowl original designs.

This is how it looks on my most current rom:

JRqwo21.png

Buck, could you address the black pixel on MIN's helmet, and fix AZ & SF (and any others I'm missing)?

And I'll re-size the NFL shield this weekend to get it to fit the allotted space.

Edited by keithisgood

How the helmets are drawn in the hex was changed to make future editing easier and to make them more true to the actual helmet designs. One of the features that came from this was a white bumper on the back of each helmet. I've tried to take off the ones that don't belong, but I believe some need to be re-drawn in the hex to get them to match their Tecmo Super Bowl original designs.

This is how it looks on my most current rom:

JRqwo21.png

Buck, could you address the black pixel on MIN's helmet, and fix AZ & SF (and any others I'm missing)?

And I'll re-size the NFL shield this weekend to get it to fit the allotted space.

will do.

OK, I have version 3-26-2013, is this the one to work on?

Edited by buck

correct. post your updates and I'll work from that in fixing the NFL shield

ok, I just actually read your post and I did not know that you had changed the way they are drawn in hex.  so I don't even know what you did to change it!  what did you do to change how the helmets are drawn? because I don't have the computer hacking skills to reverse engineer your mod.

if it's something new, it kind of defeats our purpose of a new "base rom" because it's sort of a fundamental change that will throw off everybody's notes.

vikings fix: 00 at x23c3b

49ers fix: FE at x3f6cb

regarding arizona: you can throw A4 or C6 at x3f6d1, but it won't have "all" of the facemask by the earhole.  otherwise, need to redraw/repalette that helmet

Edited by buck

if it's something new, it kind of defeats our purpose of a new "base rom" because it's sort of a fundamental change that will throw off everybody's notes.

I don't disagree with this. But I do think it becomes more of a mute point if Keith is able/interested to document some of his alterations to the standard palette documentation that already exists. Keith, how much have you edited that no longer fits to the available Small Helmet / Large Helmet graphics of the original ROM / 32-Team ROM? Is it possible to document the changes so that people can make their own graphic edits in the ROM and not be lost because of the changes you've made?

I don't disagree with this. But I do think it becomes more of a mute point if Keith is able/interested to document some of his alterations to the standard palette documentation that already exists. Keith, how much have you edited that no longer fits to the available Small Helmet / Large Helmet graphics of the original ROM / 32-Team ROM? Is it possible to document the changes so that people can make their own graphic edits in the ROM and not be lost because of the changes you've made?

vikings fix: 00 at x23c3b

49ers fix: FE at x3f6cb

regarding arizona: you can throw A4 or C6 at x3f6d1, but it won't have "all" of the facemask by the earhole.  otherwise, need to redraw/repalette that helmet

unmute the moot

Edited by buck

I have notes of all the large helmet graphical changes made to this rom. The biggest change is that I put Miami's helmet drawing hex back with the expansion teams. I believe I altered a few pointers in there as well. Everything else was simple color changes so although the hex values are different, they're still in the same locations (if that makes any sense). I'll work on collecting my notes into something useful.

And, Buck,  I may have caused some confusion; I thought it was you who re-shuffled the small helmet tile data. I re-read the small helmet thread (http://tecmobowl.org/topic/53631-new-mini-helmets-logos/) and it was jstout. I'm not 100% on what he did other than he said he changed data from 22854-x22886 and x7A010-x7A0B7 to allow more editing room. If we want to compile a hacking bible for use in companion with this new 32-team base rom, we'll have to ask him exactly what changes he made.

Thanks for taking a look at the funky small helmets, Buck. I'll implement the changes and see what I can do about Arizona.

I have notes of all the large helmet graphical changes made to this rom. The biggest change is that I put Miami's helmet drawing hex back with the expansion teams. I believe I altered a few pointers in there as well. Everything else was simple color changes so although the hex values are different, they're still in the same locations (if that makes any sense). I'll work on collecting my notes into something useful.

And, Buck,  I may have caused some confusion; I thought it was you who re-shuffled the small helmet tile data. I re-read the small helmet thread (http://tecmobowl.org/topic/53631-new-mini-helmets-logos/) and it was jstout. I'm not 100% on what he did other than he said he changed data from 22854-x22886 and x7A010-x7A0B7 to allow more editing room. If we want to compile a hacking bible for use in companion with this new 32-team base rom, we'll have to ask him exactly what changes he made.

1. Makes total sense. Graphics are what I still mess around with, for the most part, so they make the most sense to me.

2. Pulling your notes together for a guide would be great. To me, it doesn't matter if we change the architecture of where aspects of the ROM are located for editing, as long as we note the changes. CX_ROM made MANY changes to the values of the TSB ROM when he created his original 32-team release, so we'd would essentially be continuing those changes, but for the further evolution of the ROM. As long as it's documented and accessible to the public for their own alterations, I feel that we're safe in making those edits as seen fit.

3. I'll send Jstout a message and see if he can document what he shuffled around in the small helmet hex so that we can keep a log going for the public's editing needs.

Ok. New NFL Shields:

e8k4gVM.png

Resized them to fit old template better. Being slightly wider than the old logo, I've taken away the hash marks nearest the logo as some were literally right next to the logo and looked weird.

My only issue now is I can't seem to figure how to change the pallete on the left hand and lower right hand side of the midfield logo without screwing up the adjacent grass. It's quite possible my brain simply isn't working at the moment, but if anyone else wants to take a stab at it please do. 

I've updated the dropbox link atop all the graphics threads with this most current rom and also attached it below. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing.

TSB org x1_NEW_GRAPHICS.nes

I feel like you need epaulets or something for commanding this operation.

Ha! I'm inclined to give 99.9% of the credit for the updates in this new standardized base ROM to you and Buck. Opinions are like assholes and elbows around here. I'm just doing what I can to keep the process clean and take some of the administrative overhead off your guys' shoulders.

Ok. New NFL Shields:

e8k4gVM.png

Resized them to fit old template better. Being slightly wider than the old logo, I've taken away the hash marks nearest the logo as some were literally right next to the logo and looked weird.

My only issue now is I can't seem to figure how to change the pallete on the left hand and lower right hand side of the midfield logo without screwing up the adjacent grass. It's quite possible my brain simply isn't working at the moment, but if anyone else wants to take a stab at it please do. 

I've updated the dropbox link atop all the graphics threads with this most current rom and also attached it below. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing.

Rom checks out for all of Buck's rounded up fixes

http://tecmobowl.org/romcheck.php

Another request: anyone know how to change individual tile palettes on the midfield logo? I've found the logo in the hex and the accompanying palette controllers, but can only manage to change 4x4 tile blocks, which ends up turning the surrounding field blue.

1. Intro Scrolling Text "NFL Super Pro Football" = "NFL Tecmo Super Bowl"

AT 0x16AF4 - PASTE the FOLLOWING (all at once, overwriting):

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

2. "1991 Roster" = "Team Roster" Text

At 0x16DA5 - PASTE the FOLLOWING (all at once, overwriting):

D8D9C0C1DADBC2C300000000000000000090918C8D86878E8F000000000000000000000000940000008600

Edited by buck