New Base NES ROM (32-Team Original TSB Gameplay)

GameplayLoop

ok, so like Tecmonster was saying a while back there is a bug in the current "base rom" with the clock and the menu.  

>the menu says 5 minutes (default TSB time) but when you load up a game, it's actually 4 minutes...

so, to make the menu match the game and make the quarter clock match the original TSB:

SET(0x3F967, 0x05).  the game clock will now be 5 minutes.

Note to self: fix and post this

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey bruddog, knobbe or maynard or whoever, it looks like there were still a couple of fixes to be added to the rom on the first post. Can we get a clean rom up here? I like the new graphics but I want to make sure everything works as well as or better than the original before I start using this as my base rom. I plan to eventually do a complete series of roms starting with the first year of 32 teams in 2002. Thanks.

Wait, that's two different instructions. In any case, a moderator should still replace the download on the front page with a rom that has all the current fixes and graphic updates.

Bo, if you just change xfb71 to 04, you should be good to go.  I did that and used this as my base rom and have had no glitches or noticeable errors after playing a couple seasons with it now.

ok, so like Tecmonster was saying a while back there is a bug in the current "base rom" with the clock and the menu.  

>the menu says 5 minutes (default TSB time) but when you load up a game, it's actually 4 minutes...

so, to make the menu match the game and make the quarter clock match the original TSB:

SET(0x3F967, 0x05).  the game clock will now be 5 minutes.

Well, I can't testify to what buck's does, but I guarantee you that mine works, and still leaves you the option to change the quarter length if you want.  You might be waiting a long, long time if you're waiting for an "official" base rom release.

look, the "default" 1991 Tecmo Super Bowl game clock time is 5 Minutes, not 4.  

if you want to make the default game time 4 minutes, then do what Tecmonster tells you.

If you want to make the default game time 5 minutes, then do what I tell you.

Eh, it seems an update was about to happen a few months ago. I don't know if it was ever done or what. Just thought I'd see if anyone was paying attention here and willing to do that. I'm still going ahead with my first rom in some format, I'll just update when a new one comes I guess.

Well, I can't testify to what buck's does, but I guarantee you that mine works, and still leaves you the option to change the quarter length if you want.  You might be waiting a long, long time if you're waiting for an "official" base rom release.

Note to self: fix and post this

Oh is that what it was? Okay yeah I want 5 mins, so I'll use yours.

look, the "default" 1991 Tecmo Super Bowl game clock time is 5 Minutes, not 4.  

if you want to make the default game time 4 minutes, then do what Tecmonster tells you.

If you want to make the default game time 5 minutes, then do what I tell you.

Thanks Buck, that works. I have a new question, for you or anyone who might be reading. Do you have a rom that has fixed the problems that cxrom's 1.05 had without the new helmets and graphics? Thanks.

I just realized if I'm doing 2002 I don't want the helmets changed.

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

Thanks Buck, that works. I have a new question, for you or anyone who might be reading. Do you have a rom that has fixed the problems that cxrom's 1.05 had without the new helmets and graphics? Thanks.

I just realized if I'm doing 2002 I don't want the helmets changed.

You can easily create. The fixes are listed in the very first post.

1. NFC West "Offense Preference" Bug

(when playing live, heavy pass does heavy rush)

x273B4 change to x20 xB6 x9F

SET(0x273b4, 0x20b69f)

2. NFC West "SIM" Bugs
x27479 to x2747B should be x20 xB6 x9F (this goes to cx_rom's written code for Team 1)
x27481 to x27483 should be x20 xB6 x9F (this goes to cx_rom's written code for Team 2)
SET(0x27479, 0x20b69f)

SET(0x27481, 0x20b69f)
x27FCE should be xE0 (this makes it compare team value correctly)

SET(0x27fce, 0xe0)

3. Player-2 Condition Fix

SET(0x30e55, 0x20809f)

SET(0x31f90, 0xa66ee46df00218603860)

*regarding offense SIM and SIM calculations, for the TE to be calculated properly with SIM values
(changed the byte at x175CB from 04 to 05, see http://tecmobowl.org...ata/#entry90243)

Yeah I read all about it back when, I'm in that thread asking you stuff lol. Thanks all. 

I think I might have finally struck the right balance I want between simplicity and quality. If so, I should be able to start cranking these out at a fairly rapid pace. I'm working on the playbooks for 2002. It will be original rom plays only, and playbooks mostly from teams on the original. I'm not using any crazy motion playbooks or playbooks with a lot of fakes, just the ones I find it hardest to play against, and slightly modified versions of those.

If anyone has some simple playbook suggestions it's a struggle to find variety. Most teams need a playbook with 3 running plays for one RB, and there's not a lot of good options for that. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a ROM that has all the updates together in one ROM? I know the "official" release ROM had an update but it doesnt seem to have the latest mini helmet update. http://db.tt/DyKJNWIW This one has the changes I made to the Jags mini helmet and changes to the team data screen color from green to teal. Is there a ROM that combines everything from the first post into one "master" ROM?

Is there a ROM that has all the updates together in one ROM? I know the "official" release ROM had an update but it doesnt seem to have the latest mini helmet update. http://db.tt/DyKJNWIW This one has the changes I made to the Jags mini helmet and changes to the team data screen color from green to teal. Is there a ROM that combines everything from the first post into one "master" ROM?

place this rom into your pipe.  this even has remix rosters (based on 13-14 NFL) from original TSB players.  last revision 1/1/14.

this rom is everything you need....I think.  but it doesn't have all the TB.org "flair" graphics.

TSB 2013-14 Remix buck.nes

Edited by buck

place this rom into your pipe.  this even has remix rosters (based on 13-14 NFL) from original TSB players.  last revision 1/1/14.

this rom is everything you need....I think.  but it doesn't have all the TB.org "flair" graphics.

attachicon.gifTSB 2013-14 Remix buck.nes

Thanks alot for this. One more question you might be able to help with. I thought I have seen it somewhere before but I have searched for a while now and haven't been able to find it anywhere on the forums. Is there a way to take only the graphics from one ROM and apply it to another that has the hacks and roster I want?

Thanks alot for this. One more question you might be able to help with. I thought I have seen it somewhere before but I have searched for a while now and haven't been able to find it anywhere on the forums. Is there a way to take only the graphics from one ROM and apply it to another that has the hacks and roster I want?

there is a way, but it might not be easy.  and usually, you have to move over things one 8-bit tile at a time.

graphics can be simple or complicated.  sometimes it's a simple swap of tiles, using a program like this (I use this):  http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/108/

sometimes the game code has been altered, too.  like palettes and/or other code. 

Edited by buck

there is a way, but it might not be easy. and usually, you have to move over things one 8-bit tile at a time.

graphics can be simple or complicated. sometimes it's a simple swap of tiles, using a program like this (I use this): http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/108/

sometimes the game code has been altered, too. like palettes and/or other code.

Yea I use TLP too. I was just wondering if there was a way maybe in TSB TOOL to do it. If not I will just have to use TLP to switch up a few helmets. I know how to edit the graphics I was just hoping there was a way to just pull the graphics from one ROM to another that has the same graphics code. Just trying to save myself from finding the tiles in TLP aka being lazy. I kinda figured that was the case thanks though.

Yea I use TLP too. I was just wondering if there was a way maybe in TSB TOOL to do it. If not I will just have to use TLP to switch up a few helmets. I know how to edit the graphics I was just hoping there was a way to just pull the graphics from one ROM to another that has the same graphics code. Just trying to save myself from finding the tiles in TLP aka being lazy. I kinda figured that was the case thanks though.

If the hacks applied aren't too high level the best lazy transfer is to apply your roster via TSBtool to the rom with the graphics you want and then re-apply the hacks.

That would probably work. You'd just need to be careful when making the patch

1. You'd want to make sure the only differences between the rom with the hacks and the rom you use for the patch comparison are the hacks. If he's grabbing

a random rom with hacks, that may be tough to do. 

2. You'd have to make sure none of the hacks interfere with any of the graphics (unlikely)  

Can't you just create a patch of the hacked ROM, then apply the patch to the graphics ROM?  Or does it not work like that?

Then transfer the rosters over in 30 seconds using TSBTS.