New Base NES ROM (32-Team Original TSB Gameplay)

GameplayLoop

Does the base rom have the PA/PC hack? I still think it should not. Even if we thought it must do something way back when. It was pretty obvious it didn't do much. How else could Elway suck so bad at passing. =) 

From a theoretical rating players perspective its also not very intuitive. What QB's are accurate (on target)  but don't complete a lot of passes? Accuracy and completing passes go hand in hand for the most part.  Likewise what QB's aren't accurate but complete a lot of passes? Just my 2 cents.

Does the base rom have the PA/PC hack? I still think it should not. Even if we thought it must do something way back when. It was pretty obvious it didn't do much. How else could Elway suck so bad at passing. =) 

From a theoretical rating players perspective its also not very intuitive. What QB's are accurate (on target)  but don't complete a lot of passes? Accuracy and completing passes go hand in hand for the most part.  Likewise what QB's aren't accurate but complete a lot of passes? Just my 2 cents.

The answer to me depends on how easy it is to swap PC and PA meanings once you have applied things one way or the other.

Having PC and PA both do something isn't a problem...you can just rate guys with the same ratings if you want it to act like the original.  Dictating the functionality of PC or PA is the real issue here. 

That is a good point. Is the post on page 1 correct in that currently the base rom does not have the PA/PC hack applied?

The answer to me depends on how easy it is to swap PC and PA meanings once you have applied things one way or the other.

Having PC and PA both do something isn't a problem...you can just rate guys with the same ratings if you want it to act like the original.  Dictating the functionality of PC or PA is the real issue here. 

I agree that this base ROM should not have the PA/PC hack. I thought this had been agreed upon. It doesn't make sense because...

A. It's meant to be an unedited base ROM (save for the options / playbook / 32-team additions.

B. Anyone looking to use this to make a ROM can apply the PA/PC hack themselves, if their intent is to actually start making code changes in TSB.

C. Anyone not looking to make coding changes, and is likely just using this to make roster/stat changes, will likely not even realize that a PA/PC hack exists.

Bo3: BO IN SPACE!

But yes, I'm with maynard here; this is a stripped down base for enterprising hackers to build on.

yes, somewhere in this 14-page piece of english literature, we decided that this is basically just a "fixed" cxrom 32-team v1.05...with a couple of graphical tweaks by keith and some "textual" tweaks by me.  

as far as I know, the only "hack" that makes the game "not quite" the original is the one that fixes the Tight End SKP/SIM.  oh - also the Player 2 Condition FIX.  heck, just look at the FIRST POST!

[i threw the "remix" rosters on it for the heck of it - because it keeps all the "original" guys/ratings, playbooks, colors, etc with the new rom - but the rosters are remixed to be a proposed 2013-14 season....instead of those 2007 rosters where every receiver is at least 38/69/50]

*I would like to add that a SWEET UPGRADE would be to allow NFC West Teams the ability to use a ALT Jersey.  Oh well, maybe in a few more years.*

Edited by buck

yes, somewhere in this 14-page piece of english literature, we decided that this is basically just a "fixed" cxrom 32-team v1.05...with a couple of graphical tweaks by keith and some "textual" tweaks by me.  

as far as I know, the only "hack" that makes the game "not quite" the original is the one that fixes the Tight End SKP/SIM.  oh - also the Player 2 Condition FIX.  heck, just look at the FIRST POST!

[i threw the "remix" rosters on it for the heck of it - because it keeps all the "original" guys/ratings, playbooks, colors, etc with the new rom - but the rosters are remixed to be a proposed 2013-14 season....instead of those 2007 rosters where every receiver is at least 38/69/50]

*I would like to add that a SWEET UPGRADE would be to allow NFC West Teams the ability to use a ALT Jersey.  Oh well, maybe in a few more years.*

Yes to all of the above. "Fixes" but not additions. Roster remix, but same stats/SIM numbers of the 1991 roster. And adding the ALT jersey to the NFC West would be very nice.

Yup, a little bit of meaning was lost along the way.  You're absolutely right.

On the non game side, what about the options available in the later CXROM hacks that weren't weather or 2pt conversion?

4poZx.png

Namely "juice mode" and 1st down length.  Juice would probably be a popular edition.

This thread contains the source for the options menu

Yup, a little bit of meaning was lost along the way.  You're absolutely right.

On the non game side, what about the options available in the later CXROM hacks that weren't weather or 2pt conversion?

4poZx.png

Namely "juice mode" and 1st down length.  Juice would probably be a popular edition.

This thread contains the source for the options menu

So, if there was a "juiced" option, what would that look like in hex code?  I know where the hex code resides for juice, but I'm curious if there is a general consensus for what those numbers should be.

With the uncertainty surrounding Drummer's release, I think I'm going to start designing my own rom.  Is a final version of this planning to be released this weekend?  If not, could you possibly post the most recent version?  I'm sure it's mechanically sound.

I think we're waiting on a font fix and maybe some option menu stuff.

My last upload is here http://tecmobowl.org/topic/52870-new-base-nes-rom-32-team-original-tsb-gameplay/?p=376636

Good to see this is actually getting some use!

So, if there was a "juiced" option, what would that look like in hex code?  I know where the hex code resides for juice, but I'm curious if there is a general consensus for what those numbers should be.

I'm not exactly sure...I haven't had time to research

• 2 months later...

so where is the latest version of this thang?  I know that keith did some last minute minihelmet changes to the tb.org rom; I'm looking for a "new base rom" with those latest keith minis.

Hm. Give me a bit and I can copypasta data from the tb.org rom to the base posted earlier in the thread.

EDIT: the link from the various graphical update threads contains my most recent revisions: http://db.tt/DyKJNWIW

All the small and large helmets are as correct as I can currently make them. Let me know if there's anything missing.

Edited by keithisgood

ok, so like Tecmonster was saying a while back there is a bug in the current "base rom" with the clock and the menu.  

>the menu says 5 minutes (default TSB time) but when you load up a game, it's actually 4 minutes...

so, to make the menu match the game and make the quarter clock match the original TSB:

SET(0x3F967, 0x05).  the game clock will now be 5 minutes.

Edited by buck

• 2 weeks later...