Baseball Simulator 2013 (NES)

keithisgood

I've finished compiling batter stats for the 18 teams guaranteed to be in this year's release (still haven't gotten the new teams hacked in yet).

The stats spreadsheet can be viewed here: 

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxrZWl0aGlzZ29vZGZpbGVzfGd4OjYyMDY5YWNhNjBiYjQyNw

The projected lineups/stats are current as of 10 AM on Feb 11, 2013. Also, batters who score 0.7 or higher in fangraphs.com's "clutch" metric are given ultra abilities. Some teams, such as the Yankees,  don't have any players scoring above 0.7, so they are without ultra abilities right now. I may change the metric for awarding ultra going forward to give every team at least SOMEONE with an ultra hit/pitch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got the beta for Baseball Simulator 2013 working and have attached it below. This version includes 18 teams. Adding 6 more is simply a matter of using the game's "team edit" function and bundling an emulator save file with the rom. The 6 Edit teams are (in this order) CHI SOX, SEA, TOR, NYM, AZ, PIT

I'm yet to update uniform colors, so the yankees are bright pink, among other things. This beta features the old-styled title screen as well.

Also, be warned: Mike Trout is crazy awesome.

The rom already has player and team data in the hex for 24 teams. As soon as I figure out how to get the game to recognize the new data, we should be rolling.

Edited by keithisgood

I haven't done enough debugging to figure out what's up with the skip function. I suspect the computer runs an actual game in real time but puts the sportscenter screen over it. And the announcer on the skip screen is Bob Uekcer, announcer for the Milwaukee Brewers (I believe) and co-star of the 1989 Cinema Classic, "Major League."

And as for stats, I pulled everything from fangraphs.com and rotochamp. Not to get overly technical, but I compared the stat lines using pythagorean regression (y=ax^2+bx+c) to make certain the highs, lows and averages of today's MLB stats stayed in line with the stats in the original Baseball Simulator. That's why Aroldis Chapman has a 115mph fastball and some of the batting averages are higher.

Edited by keithisgood

Nice work!

Hey, I know this isn't the thread for it but has anyone here tried to hack Baseball Stars?  Loved that game as well back in the day.

EDIT-- nevermind I see there is a separate thread... Though not much in it.

Edited by rmm1976

New Beta rom with updated team colors and title screen is attached below.

This is how the title screen looks implemented in the rom:

iRkML4d.png

As soon as I find the palette table for the title screen, I'll change the text colors for "Baseball" and "Simulator."

This update also makes it simpler to update the title screen in the future: all sprites are layed out in columns from top to bottom rather than some graphics as columns and some as rows.

The only graphical updates left to do are to change the colors on a team's fielders to match their batters and pitchers. 

Edited by keithisgood

I've stripped the BETA tag; so far as I can see, Baseball Simulator 2013 is finished.

The completed rom is attached below; a .sav file which includes Toronto, Seattle, Chi Sox, Pirates, Mets and Diamondbacks can be downloaded here: http://db.tt/pHJo4bHv (I'd attach it, but I get a permission error whenever I try to attach a .sav) 

BASEBALL SIMULATOR 2013.nes

BASEBALL SIMULATOR 2013sav.zip

Edited by Knobbe
Added the .sav as a zip

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sweet! Loved this game back in the day. But one question - Is there any player anomalies in this game? I know that Bret on the "Ultra" Heroes team would hit a HR every time up if you used his Bomb power. Hopefully that is no longer the case with anyone.

I haven't played exhaustively with every team so I can't say for certain there are "Brett" type players. Bret had power of 1014 and a Contact Subtractor (when the ball isn't cleanly hit) of Zero. I do know from the data that only one player has Power near Brett's and that no player has a Contact Subtractor lower than 14.

Also, not every player has an ultra ability (since it's based on a player's "clutch") so I don't believe any of the serious power hitters have the Bomb ability.

If you play it an find anyone with crazy ability like that, let me know. 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update; I'm still toying with the rom in my spare time. Looks like hex changing alone won't allow me to include additional teams. While I learn the ASM, I've got a few at the romhacking.net boards looking at Baseball Simulator in hopes of expanding it Tecmo Super Bowl style to include a 30 MLB squads and 2 All Star teams. 

Other hoped changes include home/away uniforms (to avoid redundacy when two simalarly-colored teams--think CIN at WAS--play one another) and MLB stadiums (Fenway, New Yankee Stadium, Coors Field--to take the place of Space Stadium--Wrigley, AT&T Park and probably Camden Yards). If I find the time, I'll do all this for a mid-season update. Otherwise, it'll have to wait for Baseball Simulator 2014.