Baseball Simulator 2013 (NES)

keithisgood

For anyone interested, I'm working on another yearly update of Culture Brain's "Baseball Simulator 1.000" for NES. 

There's a log of changes thusfar at http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15661.0.html

I've found there's enough empty space in the rom to expand to all 30 MLB teams (Starting 8, 1 Bench Player and 6 Pitchers for every team). I should hopefully be able to add All-Star teams as well. The only hangup right now is figuring out how to 1) find; and 2)  alter the team select screen data to accommodate the expanded roster.

If I can't manage the screen changes, at the very least, BBSIM2013 will feature 18 MLB teams. Every team will have "ultra" capabilities.

Hope to have a final release for opening day.

KKtVum.jpg

BASEBALL SIMULATOR 2013.nes

Meat: Giving starters more stamina is a simple matter of swapping out a few bytes. I think the average starting pitcher is good for about 35 pitches. Maybe I'll up that to 50?

Dave: thanks for the compliments. Given space/palette limitations, I'm rather proud of the 'character logos:' Cleveland, Baltimore, Toronto and Arizona. If only I could make Detroit's Psycho Tiger work in 16x24 pixels.

Okay, I'm stumped. I still can't seem to find the hex which draws the team select screen. I've searched for every configuration of tiles with no luck. It seems the screen is constructed using control codes and metatiles and it's got me stymied. Anyone willing to lend a hand?

Here's What I Know:

• Hex controlling the order of team logos displayed on the Team select screen runs from $49CF-$49E0. Altering this data does NOT change which teams are chosen for actual gameplay. HOWEVER,changing this data DOES alter which team data shows up in Edit --> Display mode
  • Hex for borders around the Game/Mode select GUI is at $8409: 6C (Top Left Corner) 6A (Left Leg) 6D (Bot Left Corner)71 (Blank Space) 68 (Top Edge) 71 (Blank Space) 69 (Bottom Edge) 6E (Top Right Corner) 6B (Right Leg) 6F (Bottom Left Corner). A string of control codes goes back to $8402
  • A Hex series suggesting tiles used to draw borders on the Team Select Screen (6C 68 6A 71) can be found at both $12043 and $1293E. However, changing the values here DOES NOT affect how the Team Select Screen is drawn
  • $20000-$39DEF seems to be data for actual gameplay
  • Player/Team data runs from $39DF0-$3CF8F
  • Hex Data for displaying the Team Logos runs $3D08B-$3D132. Hex Data for displaying other non-gameplay screens (Title Screen, Standings screen for Season Play, Playoff Bracket Screen, etc) follows this all the way to the end of the Rom.

Obviously, ANY help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by keithisgood

Okay, some follow up.

The Hex at $8409 Controls ALL variable shape text boxes in the game (including the team select screen!)

Thanks to Proveaux over at the romhacking.net boards, we've discovered the following information:

TEAM DATA:
teams.png

Background
background.png

Outline
outline.png

Team layout
teamlayout.png

Outline layout
outlinelayout.png

Select layout
selectlayout.png

Team placement layout.
teamsplacement.png

Music for team select screen
musicselect.png

Now, I've played with this a little bit in my free time and have managed to resize the boxes on the team select screen to allow space for more tiles:

3J9zOBG.png

It's not pretty, but its a step in the right direction, no?

Edited by keithisgood

Without any ASM hacking or rom expanding, there is enough room in the rom for 255 batters, 241 Pitchers and 27 Teams.

A full team roster consists of 12 Batters (Starting 8 and 4 on the Bench) and 6 Pitchers.

Therefore the plan is to make 24 teams consisting of 10 unique batters (starting 8 and 2 bench players) and 6 pitchers. Each team will feature two generic bench players from a pool of 15 generic players.

The game allows a player to edit 6 unique teams. I'll create the remaining six MLB teams using this feature and bundle the rom file with ram info for FCEUX and Nestopia.

The two all star teams, made of pre-existing players, require only Team data. 

All the batter, pitcher and team data, as well as the corresponding team logos are already in the rom. The hurdle is getting the game to recognize said data.

Its my thought that Ultra plays will serve as a stand in for "clutch" ability. Mike Trout getting the ultra fielding jump, Aroldis Chapman getting the fireball pitch, etc.

Since I'm giving every team Ultra abilities, I plan to reduce the number of available Ultra points to somewhere between 24-45 (Ultra teams get between 100-150 in the original game). Each time you use an ability, it subtracts 3 Ultra points, so getting only 45 points makes Ultra use a real strategy.

Also, I don't plan on every player getting an Ultra ability. Not everyone is clutch. In this way, the All-Star teams (composed of the best players) become de facto Ultra Teams.

FanGraphs.com keeps "Clutch" Statistic for Batters and Pitchers so I plan on assigning Ultra Hits and Pitches based on that. Fielding I'm not yet set on.

The plan is to implement full rosters for the teams I have working right now and put the rosters for teams to be added in as well. Once I get rosters set, I'll post the beta rom for testing.

I'll have to double check the values of specific ultra abilities. I did a few pitches and most hits and they only took 3. Perhaps there are some which use more.

Also, I got tired of the old title screen and am going to implement something which looks more like my box art.

Here's a mock up. Don't worry, Mike Trout will eventually get the rest of his arm.

Xo4V1gl.png

Edit for updated title screen:

mmzO0oL.png

Edited by keithisgood

I'm in the process of assembling the rosters for each team. Using rotochamp for projected lineups is working well, but I'm wondering if some teams have bench players more likely to be used/liked than others. Right now I'm just going by projected at bats, but if anyone who follows a specific team knows which bench player/players would be better for BBSIM2013, I'm open to suggestions.

The game does not use designated hitters, so all AL teams have their DH assigned to the bench, leaving room for one other player.

NL teams have bench space for two players.