Defending the Deep Streak Pass... PRO-TIP

bruddog

Defending the deep bomb does take some luck as sometimes you can be in near perfect/or perfect position and it still doesn't matter. But you can improve your chances by not doing the following

1. Do not just run straight back at the snap.

I see many new players and sometimes vets do this. Their defender is sitting all the way in the back of the endzone or far way because they just ran back and they have almost 0 chance of stopping the deep bomb unless the pass is poorly thrown to begin with. 

To improve your chances you have to try and make it so your defender is near the WR when the ball arrives.

Some ways to do this are.

1. Wait to start dropping deep with your DB until the WR has a sizeable lead down the field as your defender 

2. Run back right at the snap but come start coming back to the ball when its 1/2 to 3/4 of the way there.

3. Run back at the snap...pause for a bit...start running again. 

You have to have a sense of where the WR and your DB are and try to to keep him near the WR even though you can't see the players. 

This services message has been brought to you by bruddog

Defending the deep JJ does take some luck as sometimes you can be in near perfect/or perfect position and it still doesn't matter. But you can improve your chances by not doing the following

1. Do not just run straight back at the snap.

I see many new players and sometimes vets do this. Their defender is sitting all the way in the back of the endzone or far way because they just ran back and they have almost 0 chance of stopping the deep JJ unless the pass is poorly thrown to begin with. 

To improve your chances you have to try and make it so your defender is near the WR when the ball arrives.

Some ways to do this are.

1. Wait to start dropping deep with your DB until the WR has a sizeable lead down the field as your defender 

2. Run back right at the snap but come start coming back to the ball when its 1/2 to 3/4 of the way there.

3. Run back at the snap...pause for a bit...start running again. 

You have to have a sense of where the WR and your DB are and try to to keep him near the WR even though you can't see the players. 

This services message has been brought to you by bruddog

J.J. stands for........................................???  Are you just talkin' about a deep out route??? (when the receiver just bolts for the endzone) ........or a deep slant, or button hook???  I use step 3 mostly.....If my corner is faster than the receiver, I use that technique...If he's slower, or slowly gains speed (like so many do) I just try to stay with the reciever PERIOD, or don't use a cornerback.

-TB King - Sorry. JJ was a slang term that stood for jumping jackass but came to mean any deep or timed pass attempting to make the WR jump for the ball.  I'm specifically talking about any deep pass attempt of 40+ yards but really more like 60+ yards.  Basically any streak pattern or pattern that ends in a streak.

Defending the "timed" jump passes  is a different topic but the same principal. 

You brought up a good point though regarding deep passes that I forgot to mention

Unless your cornerback or safety has the potential of jump intercepting the QB then you are best using a cornerback or safety on the opposite side of the WR the player is likely to throw to. OR a high INT LB or defensive end.  That way you will likely have a drone covering the WR as well. Assuming you called a pass play that is. 

You DB's interception rating has to be within 3 ratings greater than the QB to have a 50% chance of jump intercepting the ball. If he is 4 tecmo ratings he will have 100% chance. The chances ONLY APPLY if you are in the correct spot in regards to the ball and WR. This can be very tricky sometimes.

6,13,19,25,31,38,44,50 56,63,69,75,81,88,94,100 are possible tecmo ratings. For example a 69 Inteception rating  DB would have a 50% chance of jump intercepting a 50 Pass Control Rating QB. 

If anything you are better off trying to TRAIL the WR ever so slightly so that you are "in front" of the WR and have a chance at tipping or jump intercepting the ball.

Just don't do what Rahim Moore did and completely misjudge it! 

#3 is extremely dangerous because either A.) you might not be fast enough to drop back and defend the pass on time  or B.) Get caught in a situation where your defender doesn't "auto-track" the pass and you are caught out of position on a pass that you normallywould be taken to the ball.

Instead, I normally will do what most do while running in the open field, zig-zag. I do much shorter zigs and zags in the middle of the field and it works great when you have a fast (50 RP+) defender.

#3 is best reserved for the fastest DB's. But yes it is a bit dangerous. And the method i rarely use.  

True its really almost better to either "circle around" or "zig-zag" with your DB. However when playing online vs someone who has random lag freezes zig-zagging might fail you more often if the lag freeze happens when you are changing directions. 

If anything you are better off trying to TRAIL the WR ever so slightly so that you are "in front" of the WR and have a chance at tipping or jump intercepting the ball.

uh, I think this is all you need to say, unless your audience is a Nintendo Power reader in 3rd grade.  or someone who has too much time on their hands and thinks you're actually gonna help them with all of that English Literature in your post.

<TIMING is the ESSENCE of video games.  some people got it, some don't.  otherwise, all you can do is practice over and over and LEARN.>

<TIMING is the ESSENCE of video games.  some people got it, some don't.  otherwise, all you can do is practice over and over and LEARN.>

L

O

L

Good stuff Bruddog. When I started playing online somehow it felt like I would play Tushar 10x per season. Anyways, he would always JJ Pass 2 R &S Fly or Pass 3 Shotgun X drive.  By season 3, I would draft a really high INT DB and plant him in-front of his moonball QB throws. JJ INTs for days. #2 FTW

L

O

L

#1 "wait, then start running back" - that is timing

#2 "run back and come forward when the ball is halfway there" - that is timing

#3 "run back, then pause" - that is timing

L

O

L

...really, the point is to be in the right spot between the QB and the WR when the ball is in the air.  that is all.  this piece of advice provided by: dick. 

ps - the part about not zig zagging and stuff due to lag or whatever is the real GOLD here.

pss - you can also rush the passer and throw off the timing. dangerous, but you know - works sometimes

ps^3 - I do all three of these things on the list!! ! ;-)

Edited by buck

#1 "wait, then start running back" - that is timing

#2 "run back and come forward when the ball is halfway there" - that is timing

#3 "run back, then pause" - that is timing

I laughed at your Nintendo Power-esque "tip" or at least what I thought was a joke. I wasn't trying to mock what you were saying.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, its all timing. Those are some TIPS to get the timing right. And yes, I have to figure that SOME of my audience is about "Nintendo Power reader in 3rd grade" level.

Dear Brutendo Power

I always get lost in the tubes in Super Mario Bros level 8-4, please help!  Also the tecmo super bowl halftime show makes me feel very warm sometimes.......