Cheektowaga, NY - 04/20/13 - Buffalo's 1st Tecmo Bounty Tournament

• 3 weeks later...

Will you be streaming live?

depends if we  can get someone to bring an good mobile internet connection going. I figured out how to stream games on console thru my labtop but my mobile internet connection blows. However if we do broadcast games you can watch at http://www.twitch.tv/red98sethuthut

Edited by red98sethuthut

I had the wrong zip code for the bowling alley. This is correct below.

Tourney Location: SATURDAY APRIL 20th 10am (9am set-up)

AMF Thruway Lanes 716-896-8507
1550 Walden Ave
Cheektowaga Ny 14225
April 20th 9am setup(if your bringing equipment you can drop it off the night before with Louis b.), 1oam registration, 11am gametime

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-game Friday Tecmo festivities location (This will be the location for Friday night festivities.) TO BE CLEAR THIS IS WHERE THE PRE-GAME PARTY WILL BE AND ISNT THE ACTUAL TOURNANMENT LOCATION. If your town the Friday night you may come down and pre-register, drop off equipment, play some warm-up games or scout your opponents or get Louis drunk lol.
April 19th Around 6pm
AJ's Lounge (in the back room)
1028 Walden Ave (Its at the corner of Euclid+walden near an 7-11 store)
Cheektowaga, NY 14211

Lou dont forget to mention my MANY favorable matchups on my road to the title game in your recap.  And I mean MANY (Rams vs Cowboys twice, S.D. vs Washington... man the Tecmo gods were shining down on me!!!)  I forgot to thank Mort for stacking those cards in my favor.....

Oh and you have to mention who picked the actual card out of the deck in our matchup too.... lol!!

Lou dont forget to mention my MANY favorable matchups on my road to the title game in your recap.  And I mean MANY (Rams vs Cowboys twice, S.D. vs Washington... man the Tecmo gods were shining down on me!!!)  I forgot to thank Mort for stacking those cards in my favor.....

Oh and you have to mention who picked the actual card out of the deck in our matchup too.... lol!!

Yeah My dad picked that one out lol. u had the luck because you bought the outoftowner's mighty taco!!!

The start of the tournanment was delayed a bit by people that couldn't make it at the last moment. tecmobowl.org was down and streaming games was put to the back-burner because we had issues with getting the tourney started ona timely matter. The director and owner (mario p. of nintendoleague.com) nj tournies no showed/no called us.  groups seemed to bechanged 3 or 4 times. But We had just under 30 tecmoers who showed up. Mort's annouced his 4man groups, explained every rule in detail, explained how the matchup selection works and introduced his "random matchup cards". Mort came up with the idea of having two supergroups. Supergroups were done to so that the groups were tiered to each players projected skill level. Highly skilled players played each other...new players played new players etc. Everyone made to single elimination bracket and guys brave enough to be ina supergroups were guaranteed not to play in a "play-in game" or play any one in supergroup until the elite8.

Example Group A was Mort, Louis B. "red98", Brian "Choas",Pete "CubanTecmo" Dorsey (matt vogt woulda been here but even though he showed up to the tourney he didnt have time to play the whole tourney due to important personal reasons)...Group B consisted of Of the best two buffalo local players and two guys who played in madison tecmoIX and did well in first madison tournies. Group B was Kevin C. (Columbus ohio), Jordan R (Portage PA), Dan R. (of buffalo), Jason "laztlain" P. Buffalo. Mort made his ever popular "random matchup cards" for those who didnt want to call matchups.
In Group 1 started off with Mort going 3-0 including an comeback win vs lou Mia14-10Kc...Lou (2-1) beat Brian R (1-2) aided by K.C. KickReturn Fumble-Recovery TD and a Mcnair cc td to beat Brian R. KC 27-13 MIN...Mort won in shootout Den 28-21 Rams vs Brian R...Brain R. Scrambled Qb eagles all over the screen 4 a 21-3 win of the masked Pete "cuban" tecmo(0-3)...
In Group 2 Kevin C. of Columbus went 3-0 ...while jordan r., jason p. and dan r. went 1-2 each.
In Group 3. Friend of Louis B. brian "shaggy" F. of buffalo goes 2-1 in the group....while Pat Phelps of erie (who played in tecmoix) wins the group by going 3-0
In Group 4. Chris E. of CT. (friend of cubantecmo) wins the group going 3-0
in Group 5. sean phelps of erie goes 3-0 and wins the group with an impressive +84 margin....Eugene "Idontchangetheplaybooks" kelley goes 2-1
in group 6. Mort's and Lou's Old Childhood tecmo rival "Doug Watson" Goes 3-0 in his group
in group 7  Lou's old high school friend Will R. had to leave...and a dude who just got done bowling said his son used to play tecmo a lot...he called him and in five minutes he showed up. keith was his name and he played 3 games ina row (due to the other games being played already....won the first two games. and then he called gb vs 49ers and only losted 11 to 17!!!. Albert T. of Rich Products went 2-1, and Phil G 2-1 (winner of tecmo 2013 raffle)

Notable RD Of 32 games Eugene "Flu" kelley beat John "El Tecmo" Barhoover in a Pit-NYj 10-0 SloberKnocker...Rookie tecmoer Brian Buck (Co-worker w/ Louis B.) takes Kevin cabarello to O.t....then loses ona hardluck safety 28-30 (rams-broncs)...Jason P.(laztlain) pulls of a miracle TURN ON THE A.C. 4th qtr double-digit comeback win vs Chris Esp. (of ct.)

Rd of 16 Louis B. grounds-n-pounds and ickey+boomdawg make up for there actions in madison ina 24-7 W over Eric Stancyzk's Chargers...Jordan Roders beats my friend eugene 27-7 was over Sd (sd coach left his playbook at home)...Pete "Cubantecmo" D.'s Oilers blanked Doug Gifford's Bills 20-0, in Battle of Local Buffalo tecmoers Doug Watson upsets Dan Rosati Cin 24-14 Wash. Albert testa gives mort the 49ers...the 49ers served up some dirty rice and beat the Gman 42-0...jason p. "laztlain" Survives vs Pat phelps 20-14 TB-DEN...Brain "Choas" R. beats matt kittelson 23-0 pitt-phx...Kevin C. beats sean phelps 31-0 min vs mia
ELITE 8....The elite 8 was just like madison format. Double elimination. Seven of 8 players in the supergroups made it to the elite 8. Doug watson (Childhood friend of Louis b. and Mort) crashes the party and makes the elite8.
Game 1. winners bracket Louis B. "red98" vs Jordan Rodgers Lou calls Saints/cards...Lou's Saints rushing attack builds up a lead and goes to on to win 21-10
Game 2. winners bracket Pete "cuban tecmo" D. vs Doug watson Pete Calls Kc-mia and wins over Doug W. 28-7
Gmae 3  winners bracket Mort beats Kevin C. hou/chi...Mort's bears win 24-14 over the oilers
Game 4  winners bracket Brian "Choas" R. vs Jason "laztlain" P..."laz's Chargers were down 3-7 to Brian R.'s Skins in the 4th with ball deep in the red zone...Choas picks Laz's Proset R2 Dive play...but all the blitzing defending-drones miss marion butts and leave a gaping hole to the endzone. laz's hold's on to win 10-7 sd/wash
Game 5 loser's bracket Jordan R. beats Doug W. 21-13 Pitt vs Cleveland)
Game 6 loser's bracket Brian "choas" R. beats Kevin C. 10-3 cards over cowboys
game 7 winner's bracket Louis b. vs pete D.... Louis B. wins an tough defensive field postion kinda of game 13-9. The browns red-zone defense hold's the jet's to 3 fg's....and jet's fumble on there last drive late in 4th.  
game 8 winner's bracket Mort vs jason P. "Laztlain"...Mort calls den-det when he said meant to say den-dallas...despite the mistake he decides to play it out as den-det. Mort's broncos run up down the field for 42-14 win over "laztlain's bewildered Lions.
game9 loser's bracket Jason "laztlain" P. vs Jordan Rodgers...Laztlain goes to random matchup card...and draws Rams/Cowboys. Everett, Ellard and flipper lead a 21-3 win over Jordan's Cowboys
game 10 loser's bracket ---brian "choas" r. vs Pete D. Brian R. win 17-3 Cin vs Chi
game 11 winner's bracket mort vs lou....I go to the deck of so called random matchup's and draw the same matchup me and mort played in pool play. kc/mia....this time im mia. Mia starts off 7-0....both teams exchange fumbles. On picked pass play marino throws a pick to kevin ross. mort scores and td just before half. marino would had bad game missing an wide open te on a bomb. mort would win 20-7. okoye and kevin ross get the game balls...
game 12 loser's bracket jason "laztlain" vs brian "choas"....brian wins the toss and calls colts/pats. jason P.' pats win over the colts 24-7
game 13 loser's bracket louis "red98" vs "laztlain"...Jason elects to pick an random matchup and has my dad pick it. My dad picks Cowboys/Rams...Since i elected to go with controller 1 im the cowboys. First drive boys drive down the red zone but newsome comes out of middle of nowwhere and gets a backendzone diving pick. 7-7 at half. jason p. add's a td by dropping back and pressing b lol. rams up 14-7. rams get the ball back up 7 late in game...deep in the red zone....cowboys lb4 dive in on the run2 dive play....gary coughs it up but it trickles outofbounds. he would add the fg to win 17-7. gg
GAME 14 CHaMPioNShIp GaMe Mort vs Laztlain...Mort' calls rams/cowboys....Dallas wins 31-14

MY thanks goes out everyone who came out and had a good time. Ty to two friends eugene k. and brian f. who help us get the 8 tv's to the bowling alley...without there help we wouldn't have enouggh tv's to go around w/ mario p. of nj stiffing us (blacklist him lol nintendoleague.com).  ty to brian buck for his help in organzing the venue. ty to paul b. for making the two trophies. ty to matt b. for making the flyer. Thank you for jason P. buying all the outoftown guys "mighty taco"...No wonder why he had all the luck on his side. I did buy the pizza for everybody....i guess the tecmo gods prefer mighty taco to pizza lol. ty to buffalo for reping 716 tecmo... Ty to mort for coming up with random matchup cards (cough cough: garbage)...I hope everyone made home it safely. To the buffalo tecmo players...we will try to hold tecmo meetup nights. We look forward to making the buffalo bounty tecmo bigger and better next year.

FINAL STANDINGS 1. MORT (Francis B.) 2. LAZTLAIN (jason p.) 3. Red98sethuthut (louis b.) 4. Choas (Brain R.) 5/6 Jordan Rodgers/ Pete "cuban tecmo" D. 7/8 Kevin C./Doug w.

TOURnANMENT MVP: RANDOM MATCH-UP CARDS
TOURNANMENT GOAT: RANDOM MATCH-UP CARDS
FIELD: 28-30

Edited by davefmurray

GREAT TOURNAMENT EVERYBODY! It was worth driving up I-71 and I-90 (in the SNOW?!?). I finally understand why Buffalo gets ridiculous amounts of inclement weather in such short time. It was scary. I must say the bowling alley parking lot is not a great place to sleep for three hours when it's 28 degrees. I woke up with my toes frozen, but bloodthirsty for some Tecmo.

Francis/Louis - Thanks you so much for putting this tournament together! I'm sure playing as well as administrating was taxing, but both of you (Brad) mustered up the strength to finish 1st and 3rd. Great job doing last-minute seedings/brackets with the no-shows, last-minute show-ups, and (potential) TV shortages. You guys pulled it off, and I hope to be there next time, where it will be even better! I thought the matchup cards were a good idea, especially for a non-tournament setting. I may have to make some for friends who just sit and stare at the screen for two minutes trying to pick teams... Mort, great game. If only Moon/Carlson/Givins/Jeffries/Duncan weren't all in BAD for the second half...

Jordan R - Madison rematch! Lo and behold, we're in the same group for a second straight tournament. You'll win a coin flip one of these days; I may just keep picking SD/WAS every single time just to infuriate you. Mad props to you making it to the final six. Group K/2 for life?

Laztlain - Group 2 REPRESENT! Awesome meeting you, you're a pretty cool guy. Buying Mighty Taco for the out-of-towners was a very awesome gesture and I appreciated it. The two tacos I had were almost as good as the two INTs Keith Millard had on you.  ;-)  Nice tournament, great player. Look forward to seeing you at future tournaments.

Matt Vogt - Wish you could play. Priorities, I understand. Good to see you, though. Shoot me a call sometime... juice-off?

Brian Buck - Hope you had fun, nice meeting you. Maybe see you in the future? Marc Munford is my new hero.

Brian R - Awesome, hard-fought, low-scoring game. I hate Garth Jax with a passion now. I wish you all the best in future tournament endeavors.

Phelps Bros. - Didn't get to talk to you guys too much, but it was cool seeing you again post-Madison. Sean, we need a rematch. Our game had so much garbage in my favor it wasn't even fair.

If I didn't mention you, you're still cool. Live Tecmo tournaments are fantastic, and if you haven't gone, you should. I look forward to seeing some of you guys in the future!

Edited by kevincabarello

lou and I slept in a car in near or below freezing a few times here and there for tourneys.  So I can relate.  I'm thinking next year we might need to push it back just a little.  We really can't risk putting this event in the good weather time.  Or the bad weather time.  Probably all of fall is out as well due to college and pro ball.  Maybe the first week in May next year.  Cause I do like being further away from Madison's March date.

I didn't think the roads had gotten that bad either.  Glad you made it up and back safe.  Wish I had given you my cell phone so you could have dropped by my place.  We where right down the road and it would have been no problem.  Something to keep in mind for next year.

The stats are complied.  I emailed anyone on our list and will post here if your interested.  I think its noteworthy how the matchup cards kept repeat matchups down.  No matchup was used more than 3 times and a variety of 47 matchups used.

BBrecords.zip

Edited by mort1237

in group 7  Lou's old high school friend Will R. had to leave...and a dude who just got done bowling said his son used to play tecmo a lot...he called him and in five minutes he showed up. keith was his name and he played 3 games ina row (due to the other games being played already....won the first two games. and then he called gb vs 49ers and only losted 11 to 17!!!. Albert T. of Rich Products went 2-1, and Phil G 2-1 (winner of tecmo 2013 raffle)

This sounds like the greatest movie ever.