Cheektowaga, NY - 04/20/13 - Buffalo's 1st Tecmo Bounty Tournament

Buffalo's first real Tecmo Super Bowl Tourney will be held in Cheektowaga.
Featuring multiple prizes.
Buy in $15
Prize pool for top finishers.
$5 for each time you eliminate a player.
$30 dollar bounty on NFL films star Mort(Francis Buennagel). This goes up to 50 if 40 plus join and a 100 if 70 plus commit. Out of my own pocket. If you have a big ego feel free to place a higher bounty on yourself at game time.
$25 dollar prize for those in the first group eliminated. (too be announced.

(mainly nes sytems or tv's).

Tourney Location: SATURDAY APRIL 20th 10am (9am set-up)

AMF Thruway Lanes 716-896-8507
1550 Walden Ave
Cheektowaga Ny 14225
April 20th 9am setup(if your bringing equipment you can drop it off the night before with Louis b.), 1oam registration, 11am gametime

Real easy to find. Take the walden exit for buffalo. Just half a mile down. Location is next to a tim horton's and several good resteraunts are nearby besides what is served at the hall. I think a Chilpolte, subway, mighty taco (I highly recommend this if it is your first trip to buffalo), fridays, applebees and several other restarurants.

As for hotels the ones on Walden Ave are in walking distance. Any hotel on the list is no more than 15 mins from the tourney site.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=47454#02,1359087449021,rad:S0,map:-1,sponsors:AQUALITY_INN

these list the hotels in cheektowaga, if you can't find what you want its not to hard to get to the tourney site from the hotels in amherest on transit road and in amherest by the university.

Pre-game Friday Tecmo festivities location
(This will be the location for Friday night festivities.) TO BE CLEAR THIS IS WHERE THE PRE-GAME PARTY WILL BE AND ISNT THE ACTUAL TOURNANMENT LOCATION. If your town the Friday night you may come down and pre-register, drop off equipment, play some warm-up games or scout your opponents or get Louis drunk lol.
April 19th Around 6pm
AJ's Lounge (in the back room)
1028 Walden Ave (Its at the corner of Euclid+walden near an 7-11 store)
Cheektowaga, NY 14211
Gameplay rules
1. D.l. line use with no lurching: (Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to L.B.'s.)
2. W.R. or T.E.’s Cannot have run plays in playbook(except 4 reverse). However you may substitute an w.r./t.e. at rb2 slot as long they don't have a running play. players like Givins and Sanders are considered wr's.
3. playbook changes/lineup editing each pregame... (this is not a 103.3 the edge tourney)
4.“One Matchup Once” Rule
:
The coin-flip winner can only select a particular matchup once throughout the entire tournament. For instance, if Player A wins the toss and selects Packers-Browns, Player A cannot call that exact matchup for the rest of the tournament. Player B, however, is free to select that matchup later in the tournament.  This does not include matchup cards
5. if we use group play...differential of your win and losses in group play will help determine your seed. The most you can win a group play game is 28 points... so if you win 35-3...your winning differential will be +28. Note: if we use random triple elimination your differential wont matter.
6. TIES: No game can end in a tie. If a game is tied when regulation concludes, competitors will proceed to OT. All OT's will be 5-minute sudden death periods. If no one scores in the first OT, the second OT will be only the first quarter in a new game. This process will be repeated until a winner emerges. So that one competitor does not start with the ball in every OT period, the receiving team (i.e. team that gets the ball first) shall alternate beginning with the second OT period.
7. How the matchup is chosen.
The coin flip winner picks a matchup (a) Or option (b ) Pick a card with a set matchup on it.
If A is chosen the coin flip loser picks team or controller. Then whatever is left goes to coin flip winner.
Option B means you select a random card from a deck of many fair matchups.  The coin flip loser chooses controllers before looking at the matchup.  Matchups are entered both ways so there is no advantage to either controller.  If both players do not like the matchup they will be given a different one.
****NOTE: YOU MAY NOT DEFER A MATCHUP IF YOU WIN THE COIN TOSS.  You Must either pick your own matchup or a card.*****
(cards are given as an alternative for those who do not like to pick a matchup.  also for those who think that this system favors the guy who is lucky enough to lose the coin toss more often)
8. Tournament Issues All issues will be settled by the tournament crew. Headed by Louis Buennagel, Francis Buennagel. (Others will be designated by gameday as seconds for when we are playing.)
Report controller issues and any other issues AS SOON AS IT HAPPENS.  We will use the warm-up session to test all controllers and equipment so hopefully everything works fine. Game freeze will be settled by playing out part or all of the game depending on circumstance... unless you cause a reset by your physical actions. The final decision is up to the tournament directors or those designated by the directors. All equipment loaned for the tourney will be tracked. You may use your own controller if it is standard but do not move the other controller from that station. Respect all equipment as if it was yours. Excessive misbehavior will result in your elimination from the tourney and all future events..

Format
(Less than 25) Random Triple elimination. non bracket.
(More than 25) Round-Robin Group play and elimination brackets. Groups will consist of 4 players. each group will be fairly divided with new and experienced players. Your 3 games in group play will determine your seed in the elimination bracket. The seeded elimination bracket will be single elimination until the elite 8. In the elite 8 it will double elimination.

Systems committed. 20
Game carts 20
controllers 40

televisions 18 no digital screens.(WE COULD USE MORE TV'S)

All equipment is welcome in partial or whole. Electrical equipment welcome as well.

Players committed 46

Out of town 19
1.Brian Rausse Bronx, NY "chaosrison" 1 total system (NY city tourney director)
2. MatthewVogt Fairfield ohio "BigMV54"

4. John Barhoover youngstown Ohio
5. Andrew Lescovac youngstown Ohio
6. Pete "Cuban Tecmo" Dorsey Wallingford, CT 3 systems and 3 carts and 6 controllers and one TV

8. Kris Smith Hornell Ny
9. Mario Pirchala New jersey (DirtBowl NJ Tecmo director) 8 nes systems (wow) 5 tv's (wow)
11. Chris Esposito Wallingford, CT
12. AJ Fullam Trenton Ohio "Webmaster of Mwtecmo.com"
13. Pat Owen Meriden CT
14. Cliff Kennedy Meriden CT
15. M. owen Meriden CT
16 Jordan Rodgers Portage, PA

17.kevin c. columbus ohio     1 nes system 1 cart 1 13inch tv

18. Patrick Phelps                        erie pa   
 19. Sean Phelps                             erie pa
 20. Doug (friend of patrick phelps)  erie pa
 21. Phil (friend of patrick phelps)   erie pa

Local western new yorker's 27
1. Francis Buennagel "mort1237"
2. Louis Buennagel "red98sethuthut" 4 total systems 10 tv's
3. Dan Rosati 1 total system
4. Jason Palazzo 1 total system "Laztlain"
5. Jim Garbano 1 total system
6. Mike C.
7. Justin K.
8. Eugene "flu" Kelly
9. Brian "shaggy" Foster 1tv
10. Rocko K.
11. Brian Buck
12. matt (Dont know last name) (Friend of Dan R.)
13. Xavier Gutierrez
14. Jamie R. (B. Bucks' friend)
15. jason kelly
16 Paul Bailey 1 tv
17. Doug Watson
18. Jon Francis
19. Eric Stanczyk
20. William Rodriguez

21.Albert Testa
22. Mike Hogs

23. matt (friend of dan r.)

24.Qasim J.

25. chris insana (friend of laztlain)

26. Shawn Farrell (someone who said there coming on facebook..and hasn't been contacted)

27. Giovanni Cardiel (someone who said there coming on facebook..and hasn't been contacted)

post-5084-34332_thumb.jpg

post-5084-32_thumb.jpg

Edited by mort1237

Lou and I think this will take off and will work on finializing a location that can accomadate more than 24. I've got a couple places in mind. I would hold off on hotel reservations till I'm sure. I'm positive that many of you would rather be as close to the tourney site as possible. Lots of urban sprawl in this area and the best bars are all over the subburbs.

The one nice thing about the buffalo radio tourney is it has got tecmo on the minds of local players. Lou and I expect a big turnout and hope anyone would consider this for major tourney action.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't recall the exact order of the group play format used in past tournament s. I was wondering what was the formats used in Madison, Nebraska, NYC, Conn, and Ohio Midwest tournaments. What's the fairest way to determine the order of group plays? (Example 1vs4, 2vs3,2vs4,1vs3,3vs4,1vs2). Also how long has the group play session lasted in past tournanments? I thank you guys in advance...

Edited by red98sethuthut

I can't recall the exact order of the group play format used in past tournament s. I was wondering what was the formats used in Madison, Nebraska, NYC, Conn, and Ohio Midwest tournaments. What's the fairest way to determine the order of group plays? (Example 1vs4, 2vs3,2vs4,1vs3,3vs4,1vs2). Also how long has the group play session lasted in past tournanments? I thank you guys in advance...

Fairest order of group play?  None.

I don't give one....I don't assign seeds to players though I do spread out the talent as if I am.

If you have a group of 4, guys have to play one game against each guy.  I just tell them to do so.

2.5 hours is a pretty good estimate of how long this will take assuming that every group has a NES to start with.

You could also assume you can fire through group play of four players and two NESes in less than 1.5 hours.

Madison: We do 1v4, 2v3, 1v3, 2v4, 3v4, 1v2. Takes about 2.5 hours.

One reason to do it like this:  If the first 4 games go according to plan you're playing for pride and position in the last two. 

In groups, I always try to give the #1 seed a break between their games.  The #1 seeds for each group are always people whose skills I am familiar with who seem to be the most skilled players out of the participants.  If the order of play goes out of order, it's not a huge deal so long as participants are ok with it.

If you have groups of 4, then you will have 6 games to play.  Each game is roughly 25 minutes in length (with playbook changes, etc.).  If they are all played at the same station, then it should be 2 1/2 hours.  However, if you're planning out the day, it's safer to allot for 3 hours in case there are console issues, etc.  This past year, group play was pretty much on schedule in NYC.  The bracket took longer than expected. Of course, we also had a 4 OT game that took up a lot of time, but it was also due in part to competitors starting to feel some fatigue (wanting to relax, eat, chat, etc.) during a long afternoon.

I'm starting a new job this week, and should know more soon in regards to my availability!  I'd love to try and make it to Buffalo!

that sounds great eric....and ill show you that #42 route that end's at o'dell street in buffalo (i wasnt kidding)!!!

In groups, I always try to give the #1 seed a break between their games.  The #1 seeds for each group are always people whose skills I am familiar with who seem to be the most skilled players out of the participants.  If the order of play goes out of order, it's not a huge deal so long as participants are ok with it.

If you have groups of 4, then you will have 6 games to play.  Each game is roughly 25 minutes in length (with playbook changes, etc.).  If they are all played at the same station, then it should be 2 1/2 hours.  However, if you're planning out the day, it's safer to allot for 3 hours in case there are console issues, etc.  This past year, group play was pretty much on schedule in NYC.  The bracket took longer than expected. Of course, we also had a 4 OT game that took up a lot of time, but it was also due in part to competitors starting to feel some fatigue (wanting to relax, eat, chat, etc.) during a long afternoon.

thanks for advice brian. i like the how the madison guys did the group play (ive been the 4,4,2 in past 3years)...maybe me and mort will use that format. random triple elimination is just too much leg work each round (picking who plays whom at random must be done live each round). thank you for the advice brian.

Fairest order of group play?  None.

I don't give one....I don't assign seeds to players though I do spread out the talent as if I am.

If you have a group of 4, guys have to play one game against each guy.  I just tell them to do so.

2.5 hours is a pretty good estimate of how long this will take assuming that every group has a NES to start with.

You could also assume you can fire through group play of four players and two NESes in less than 1.5 hours.

I like that idea but we have a bunch of noobs so i would like to have everyone thing set-up before hand. I do like your last point about rolling two systems per group. thank you for the advice matt. take care.

Look awesome fellas, trying to work something out myself. Long ride but always fun and worth it.I'll let you know as soon as possible.QB Browns wants a rematch! haha-Jim

good to hear from ya Jim. Just a warning buffalo doesn't have "sonics " but we do have mighty taco.... As I smell a browns/packers Matchup with a side of mighty taco gas!!!

good to hear from ya Jim. Just a warning buffalo doesn't have "sonics " but we do have mighty taco.... As I smell a browns/packers Matchup with a side of mighty taco gas!!!

If you aren't getting Hot Wings while playing Tecmo in Buffalo, you're doing it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
BUFFALo BoUNtY RaFfLeS include "TSB2k13" tecmo cartridge (s), A signed 8 by 10 of david fulcher, 50/50 draw, and more!!! door prizes include tecmo t-shirts and 1991 football card give-aways!!! Can't wait. Email [email protected] to sign up (with name, email, phone, hometown, and equipment you can bring)

post-8361-0-39419400-1363127580_thumb.jp