Help with defense instructions

TheFes75

My appologies if this has been covered before. I am new to these forums but have known about the site for some time. Recently I have discovered an app for my droid phone that allows me to play NES games.  When I saw Tecmo Bowl I had to get it. Then I saw all the ROM hacks that people have made and it inspired me to try my first Original Tecmo Bowl ROM Hack.  I have been able to do most of it with Emuware's manager, some insight from the prior posts on this forum, and some trial and error on my part.

My question for anyone who is capable of answering it is where do I find the defensive assignments for any play but specifically:

Miami Pass 1

Miami Pass 2

Denver Pass 2

Dallas Pass 2

and what do they mean.

My specific problem is I have swapped out plays for the Miami Playbook.  Put in Denver's Pass 2 for Miami's Pass 1 and Dallas's Pass 2 for Miami's pass 2.  I have changed the Blitz bytes and the play art for these plays and they work perfectly against 3-4 teams but against 4-3 teams the bottom DB travels to the top of the screen and covers the TE instead of the TOLB and leaves the slot receiver on the bottom (RB is the 3rd receiver in the bottom slot) wide open. This creates problems in two areas. The TOLB is not doing what he needs to against a shotgun formation and either is the bottom DB. My thinking is that if I knew the defensive assignments for the Denver Pass 2 and Dallas Pass 2 then I could copy them into the place where Miami Pass 1 and Miami Pass 2 were and hopefully that would do it, but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

I have tried the example from xplozv:

"The Def play pointers seem to begin at x1A810. The second byte in the pointers above are the actual defensive play numbers. For example, the blitz byte pointer "06 03", "03" is the defensive play number.
To get to the defensive play instructions you must do the following in hex:

03 * 12 + 1A810 = x1A846

That would be the location of def play #03 pointers. You will find these pointers:

3D B1 8C AD 50 B1 63 B1 76 B1 89 B1 94 B1 A7 B1 C2 B1

Take each pointer such as "3D B1", swap the bytes to get "B13D", add x10 in hex to get "B14D", now finally add a "1" in front of it to get "x1B14D". That is where that particular player instructions are located."

I am a bit confused when the 2nd play byte is 0E or 2F on how to multiply that by 12 and add it to 1A810 to find the defensive assignments. Sorry for the lengthy post, hopefully someone can help me.

are you leaving all the numbers in HEX when you do the calculation (I believe the "12" is not actually decimal 12, but x12)?  use windows calculator, turn on "programmer mode" or whatever, set it to HEX, and do your calculation

I will do it real quick.

x0E * x12 = xFC

add that to x1A810.....x1A90C

x2F * x12 = x4E

add that to x1A810.....x1A85E

hope that helps, good luck.  I would like to learn more about TB plays someday.

Edited by buck

are you leaving all the numbers in HEX when you do the calculation (I believe the "12" is not actually decimal 12, but x12)?  use windows calculator, turn on "programmer mode" or whatever, set it to HEX, and do your calculation

I will do it real quick.

x0E * x12 = xFC

add that to x1A810.....x1A90C

x2F * x12 = x4E

add that to x1A810.....x1A85E

hope that helps, good luck.  I would like to learn more about TB plays someday.

Thanks for the help.  This may sound dumb but I never knew about the hex option on the microsoft calculator...lol :oops:

When I was messing around I tried the two equations above and i got the same answer for the first one but the second one..

I got:

x2F * x12 = 34E 

34E + x1A810 = x1AB5E.

Did I do something wrong???

Regardless Thanks again.

Edited by TheFes75

Buck, Thanks again for the help!!! 

I was able to locate the defensive assignments for Denver's and Dallas's Pass 2 and input them in place of of Miami's pass 1 and pass 2. Now the blitz bytes work for both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. I was also able to locate Indianapolis's Pass 1 and fix it so Pat Beach is now covered on a play pick. Next I have to fix the defensive assignments for the two plays I subbed in for Washington's and Minnesota's reverses, as well as fix the blocking for Bo Jackson's run.  Once that is done I just have to figure out if I can change the player's name color (not a big deal) and then I think my first Rom Hack will be complete (Minus fixing the endzone art.) 

cool, glad you're slowly figuring things out - that's the best way, I think.  was it a "quick fix" for the Pat Beach play?  I've always wondered about that one.

btw, if you are familiar with microsoft excel spreadsheet stuff - there are functions called DEC2HEX and a HEX2DEC, instantly convert between decimal and hex and vice versa, will even work on calculations.

Edited by buck