Harlan, IA - 02/02/13 - 3rd Annual Tecmo Tourney

thedotz

Recap:

Overall a good time and good tourney.  Mike and Dotz are good dudes and run a fun and fair tourney.

I lost to Craig P. in the finals in double OT (GB/CLE) in what was a very good game.  No shame in losing to him, at least it was a NE guy.  So NE has won both IA tourneys this season, so we've got that going for us...which is nice.  There was some talk of another possible IA tourney later this year, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the town.  Close to Des Moines I believe.

The bar had double booked a birthday party and the partygoers ended up having to leave because there just wasn't any room.  The bartender did give them a bottle of Peach Schnapps as a peace offering that seemed to do the trick and luckily diplomacy prevailed.  I was a little worried about "big tatoo guy" with a pool stick in his hand.  I was afraid I was going to have to show him my forearm shiver.  Luckily the bartender (Don?) had a Howie Long shirt on, so nobody was about to mess with him.  The good news was that they party left, the bad news was that the promised stripper didn't ever show up.  (can't win em all)  The trophy was cool and they have an even bigger trophy that stays in the bar with all the past winners engraved on it, Stanley Cup style.  Pretty legit.

My only gripe was that it took so long.  It didn't get over til 10:30, which made for a very long day of Tecmo.  I do like the double elimination, but my suggestion would be to start it in the Elite 8 or Final 4 next time.  It would shave a lot of time off and eliminate the poorer players sooner.  The $20 entry fee is nice and drink prices were cheap as shit.  If you guys get bigger next year, might have to get a couple more TVs/NES's.  Anyway that's all I got, I'm exhausted.  Good times, see ya next year!

Edited by moulds33

Overall the tourney was very well run and organized. I would just suggest getting a few more tv's/nes set up to speed things a long a little bit. I had to Travis/moulds33 above in the finals and beat him twice. Overall we played each other 3 times then. First game I had the bears and he best him by 4 I think as I couldn't overcome 2 turnovers and I never completed a pass. I think he was bengals. Then I made it back to the finals and had to best him twice, in the 2nd game for all the marbles I was the packers and he the browns. As noted above it was a double OT thriller that produced very little offense for either team. A 17-14 game in just under 6 quarters of action. In the end I was lucky to get a long strike to Sterling down to the 6 yard line to kick the winning fg on 1st down. All in all the tourney was great, cheap booze, free food from the organizers, etc etc

They did mention another upcoming Iowa tourney which hopefully Nebraska tecmo can bring home again.

I'd like to send a huge 'thanks' to all who came out and participated in our 3rd annual Tecmo tourney. As mentioned, Craig P. prevailed over Travis R. by winning back to back through the loser's bracket. We were very happy to see 18 players, which was double of our '9' in the 2nd annual tourney. The large increase was a bit of a surprise and thus dragged the tourney on due to our planning for 10-12 players and lack of NES systems. We do apologize for the length of the tourney as we clearly did not wake up and piss excellence that day, but did piss throughout the day...alot.

Although a bit lengthy, the tourney did not lack for excitement. One of my favorite moments was a game played between two of the bottom seeds that went into overtime. A little smack talking ensued as the eventual winner declared towards the end, "a minute left, my ball, your 20....bitch" just before kicking the game winner.

We were glad to have been at the Lincoln tourney for some help seeding the group play. A newbie to live Tecmo play, Kyle N., originally from Exira, IA (30 miles from Harlan), was our breakout player. He managed to earn a #3 seed in the tourney through his group play where we clearly had him seeded too low for his ability. Kyle cruised to a 3rd place overall finish and gave Craig all he wanted in the loser's bracket title game. Our local high finisher, "Lethal" Heath'al' Stein finished a strong 4th for his first top 4 finish as he has played all 3 of our tourneys.

Thanks again to all who came. We had a great time and are already looking forward to Harlan Tecmo IV, which is sure to be better yet.