Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

With MattyV getting married in June, any showing of the Vogts for a Ryder Cup this year would be out of the question. But a 2014 Ryder Cup would be fantastic in Chicago. I could only imagine Matt, Jimmy, Joey and myself on a Ryper Cup team. That would be so neat.

1. eric...bring the wifes lol...my gf would clean me out with all shopping places in chicago. she doesnt know what tecmo is....she thinks ivve been going to "techno raves" all these years!!! tecnho trip baybe!!!

2. chip lohmiller....i forgot about that. I already gave him his wedding gift in cleveland at the boneyard!!! #notoverit

Rooms booked at the Sheraton. I should be rolling deep with a group that will be Team Orenga level drunk and loud. Looking forward to some street Tecmo to be played in the alleyways of downtown Madison on Friday night / Sunday morning.

TecmoIX is just two weeks away! Time permitting, we do intend to re-introduce double-elimination beginning at the Elite 8 in Bracket Play. If you survive the first few rounds of single-elimination in Bracket Play, therefore, you can afford one misstep.

Below are a number of discussion points for the next few weeks:

(1) Who are your tournament darkhorses/sleepers? Most outside of Nebraska seem to be unaware of Luke C’s ability. Truth be told, he’s one of the favorites for those in the know. Super sleepers are Adam “Garbage” Gauthier, Joseph N, and Jack H.  Garbage is the fastest juicer in the field and always seems to make the Elite 8. Will his drunkenness again derail him? Joseph N is very highly regarded in Nebraska circles. And Bgboud’s been man-crushing on Louisiana’s Jack H for a year. Madison, however, is not Louisiana, so we will see.

(2) Which big name will not survive group play? Given group play’s format this year, I think several big names could fail to advance. I’m not saying Kevin M (TecmoV Champ) will fail to advance, but he sure looked rusty a few weeks ago. I’m also concerned about Josh H. The guy just got married, his head is in the clouds, and he’s not even playing. Upset alert!

(3) Who will be the TecmoIX Champion? I’ll take last year’s runner-up, Regulator. Part of me wants to take Daboy, but I don’t quite trust him to survive until double-elimination is re-introduced. Given my lack of preparation, my game probably isn't sharp enough to do real damage. And it seems like Mort hasn’t beaten an elite player west of the Appalachians since TecmoVII, so I can’t take him either. 

Jack is a hell of a non-juice player, but that said, I think I vanquished that in Carthage Mud Bowl for a Barry Sanders autographed mini-helmet.

Hey Lou, thanks for the 513 love but no way I deserve to be mentioned in this thread.  And unfortunately, big Steve Engel's wife has his long distance gaming a bit on lockdown and won't be making the Madison trip.  He has a newborn so probably no chance in a win anyway based on #TecmoIX facts.  From the buzz online Regulator is probably a decent pick.  The double elimnation will help ensure the elite don't get screwed and the rest of us will have a second shot at a possible major upset.  Can't wait for seeding!  Hope it's favorable because I could so see myself going out in back to backs.  Good luck everyone and I'm looking forward to meeting those I haven't yet met from the Cincy/Cleveland tourneys.  Travel safely.

Is anyone in the Twin Cities around this weekend for some kind of last weekend practice? My usual OTA participants are out of town and one last "practice" would be good.

I highly recommend that everyone get some last second practice in, nothing but your best effort will be required this year.

It looks like the players are listed in alphabetical order by first names in each of the groups so I can't imagine that's how it's seeded. I think I remember reading/hearing that the top 2 players in each group would be seeded and then a (for the most part) random draw for slots 3-8? I've only looked at a few groups closely besides my own, but figuring out/projecting the top 2 seeds in each group seems to be pretty straightforward based on past record. Certainly Chet/others can and will give better details, but that's what I'm piecing together at this point.

Is anyone in the Twin Cities around this weekend for some kind of last weekend practice? My usual OTA participants are out of town and one last "practice" would be good.

I highly recommend that everyone get some last second practice in, nothing but your best effort will be required this year.

Myself and another Minnesotan will be making the trek to Madison (Lodgefather) We're quite rookie level but would enjoy a chance to play with some of the better players. I imagine it will be like Rocky doing some resistance training in the snow (not that I'd ever compare myself to Sly)

Group participants are listed in alphabetical order on the site. You won't learn of your first round opponent until tournament day. That said, and as I previously mentioned, we will position the top two guys within each group on opposite ends of the group play bracket. The remaining six guys will be randomly slotted into the other six spots.   

One other note: We reserve the right to modify groups as we deem appropriate. It is possible guys will drop out before March 2 or "no show" on tournament day, either of which may necessitate group modification.  

One other note: We reserve the right to modify groups as we deem appropriate. It is possible guys will drop out before March 2 or "no show" on tournament day, either of which may necessitate group modification.

So please, please, please, let us know if you aren't going to be there. Don't be "that guy." Even texting day before is better than no-showing day of, heck even texting day of before check-in is better than no-showing--not preferred, but is still better.

If you know of anyone who isn't going to show, have them back out now.

So say two guys that (1) can't spell Jensen and (2) have never reached the Final 4. And in misspelling Jensen, all you've done is anger the Tecmo Gods. Enjoy your early exits. Ohhhhh!!! 

Ask four guys to rank the Regions in terms of difficulty and you'll get four different answers.  The Jensen Region, for instance, is dubbed the weakest in the preview article. 

Edited by holzy11

So say two guys that (1) can't spell Jensen and (2) have never reached the Final 4. And in misspelling Jensen, all you've done is anger the Tecmo Gods. Enjoy your early exits. Ohhhhh!!! 

Ask four guys to rank the Regions in terms of difficulty and you'll get four different answers.  The Jensen Region, for instance, is dubbed the weakest in the preview article.

You forgot to make a pre-tournament excuse in this post! This was a perfect time to talk about how bad at Tecmo you are, how difficult your region is, and how much more difficult this year is compared to others. What a waste of an opportunity to sandbag your chances in front of the entire Tecmo world.