Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

Lol i plan to be focused on business....well maybe a "guiness" or two to help get rid of those "first game nerves". I also seem to play better tecmo when im mad at something or "just plain fired up" (ill use anything to motivate myself..im not Mort's sidekick damn it!!!).

Thank you for telling the Tecmo world your weakness. We're going to roll out the red carpet for you. I'm talking welcoming party, bar tab, good food, adoring women, everything to make you feel comfortable and relaxed. 

We'll even send Frank far away from you so you don't have to hear him call you an idiot. 

I want to ask couple of questions. 1 related to Marino Royale, 1 general strategy question.

(1) Is there a costume competition? Isotoner gloves are not easy to find, I need some time.

(2) In regards to the WR at RB and lurching, what are the general strategy reasons behind the rules (I like the rules, just wondering). Personally, I dont care if a person lurches because I can always set 3 shotguns and runs where a NT will get eaten alive. I invite lurching most of the time. As to WR at RB, its a similar situation. I like a WR running because sometimes the player will work that WR more causing drops, fumbles, and/or condition changes. Plus he becomes a more predictable play caller. I guess I'm a "prison rules" guy when it comes to Tecmo, just wanted your high-level thoughts on why no WR at RB and no lurching. Thanks.

I want to ask couple of questions. 1 related to Marino Royale, 1 general strategy question. (1) Is there a costume competition? Isotoner gloves are not easy to find, I need some time. (2) In regards to the WR at RB and lurching, what are the general strategy reasons behind the rules (I like the rules, just wondering). Personally, I dont care if a person lurches because I can always set 3 shotguns and runs where a NT will get eaten alive. I invite lurching most of the time. As to WR at RB, its a similar situation. I like a WR running because sometimes the player will work that WR more causing drops, fumbles, and/or condition changes. Plus he becomes a more predictable play caller. I guess I'm a "prison rules" guy when it comes to Tecmo, just wanted your high-level thoughts on why no WR at RB and no lurching. Thanks.

No WR at RB: We changed the old rule because it confused too many guys. We think this rule is easier to understand, notwithstanding some recent emails. When you’re dealing with numbers of this size, simplicity is paramount.

No lurching: Lurching just eliminates too much of the playbook (runs and passes). And sure, you can game plan around it, if you know your opponent plans to lurch before the game begins. A smarter opponent, however, would wait until a critical 4th down. It’s just a little cheap for our liking. 

Preliminary seeding for TecmoIX commenced en route to and from Nebraska. We aim to publish the 8-man groups, and the groups within each of the four regions, approximately 1-2 weeks pre-tournament. If you can no longer make the tournament, please access tecmomadison.com and withdraw. Doing so will help not only those on the waiting list, but also us with regard to our seeding endeavor.   

And if anyone sees Lefty or Sconnie, please tell them to register ASAP. Each year, we spend countless hours attempting to assign an equal amount of talent to each of the four regions. If either Sconnie or Lefty sneaks into the tournament late, it could, depending upon how you perceive their skill level, unexpectedly make one region more difficult than the others. In short, blame Sconnie or Lefty if they show up in your group and/or region, not us.

Preliminary seeding for TecmoIX commenced en route to and from Nebraska. We aim to publish the 8-man groups, and the groups within each of the four regions, approximately 1-2 weeks pre-tournament. If you can no longer make the tournament, please access tecmomadison.com and withdraw. Doing so will help not only those on the waiting list, but also us with regard to our seeding endeavor.   

And if anyone sees Lefty or Sconnie, please tell them to register ASAP. Each year, we spend countless hours attempting to assign an equal amount of talent to each of the four regions. If either Sconnie or Lefty sneaks into the tournament late, it could, depending upon how you perceive their skill level, unexpectedly make one region more difficult than the others. In short, blame Sconnie or Lefty if they show up in your group and/or region, not us.

Awesome!  So true btw.  That would not be in the best interest of the tourney for either of them to enter into tourney after groups are announced.  Aren't cvogt and bigmv signed up... how isn't lefty!?

Awesome!  So true btw.  That would not be in the best interest of the tourney for either of them to enter into tourney after groups are announced.  Aren't cvogt and bigmv signed up... how isn't lefty!?

Yes, both Matt and Chris are attending. We've placed multiple emails and calls to Lefty. I'm not sure what his deal is, aside from perhaps laziness. Sconnie's situation is different as I understand it, and I probably shouldn't have lumped him in with Lefty. Don't think Sconnie knows whether he can make it or not yet. 

No WR at RB: We changed the old rule because it confused too many guys. We think this rule is easier to understand, notwithstanding some recent emails. When you’re dealing with numbers of this size, simplicity is paramount.

No lurching: Lurching just eliminates too much of the playbook (runs and passes). And sure, you can game plan around it, if you know your opponent plans to lurch before the game begins. A smarter opponent, however, would wait until a critical 4th down. It’s just a little cheap for our liking. 

i thought it was because of all the bitching i did over the last year.  lol. 

a few other thoughts on what i seen

1. this weekend i learned that lefty's new girlfriend and tecmo are not mixing.  Matt makes me think that he is retired for the time being.

2.   i'd be for limited lurching at some point to spice it up.  maybe you can do it 4 times a game or something. that being said that day is a long way away.

3. if you don't get in or can't make this tourney there are plenty of others.  an awesome one in buf on april 20.  and many superbowl weekend. 

4. I never call lou an idiot.  moron is the preferred insult.  he loves to give people matchups in championship games we use to practice.  though cle finals being a probowl he played it as well as anyone could.  matt was just on this weekend.  even when i beat him i felt it was cheapened by my being 49ers and him chi.

5. sobhi,  almost time to retire that nickname.  unless you can trounce chet in a tourney game this year.

6.  are there any spots being held for big names?  I know you guys want monkeybutler.  i'd do a fund raiser if we could get eifer to madison.  did bruddog sign up?

7. did i mention my tourney yet???  i am that shameless.

8. the overall skill level at the tourneys is rising quick.  i'd say the average player is at least twice as good than this time last year.  a very good sign. 

Mort, i did not. I came close but ultimately passed. The amount of time I'd have to spend to get to and from the event... flight, driving, etc coupled with the fact that I get shit vacation time per year at my latest job was just a deal breaker for me personally.  IF I end up ever going I'd probably want to tack it on to a vacation. 

Yes, both Matt and Chris are attending. We've placed multiple emails and calls to Lefty. I'm not sure what his deal is, aside from perhaps laziness.

1. this weekend i learned that lefty's new girlfriend and tecmo are not mixing.  Matt makes me think that he is retired for the time being.

There is your answer. 

I understand not making to the tournament for personal reasons....not hitting the reply button out of common courtesy?  C'mon man.

There is your answer. 

I understand not making to the tournament for personal reasons....not hitting the reply button out of common courtesy?  C'mon man.

Personally, I don't think that is the answer. But not hitting the reply button is slightly strange. 

Hey neighbor, I'm in Northern VA now, originally from WI and I have played you online a couple times. I think we are the only ones from the DC area going. I'll probably stay somewhere near campus, but anyway, have fun downtown. Last time I was down there I puked 4 times, picked 3 fights and was almost arrested 2 times, just to go to sleep once. Madison is a fun town though, much different than DC.

hey bro.  your not far from jersey if you want to get a warm up tourney in next weekend.  

More Dan facts:

Some say he never blinks and that he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves...all I know is that he's called Dan. 

I heard he befriended Chuck Norris and is spending his time training in Russia for Tecmo X: "Treadwell's Treachery".

Also a possibility:  He Perished along the Oregon Trail while trying to ford the Kansas River.

Choose wisely:

oregon-trail-crossing.gif

Edited by Nickabc

Hotel Info

We've blocked rooms at both the Sheraton and DoubleTree. The Sheraton is cheaper (see below) and closer to the venue (Badger Bowl). The DoubleTree is right downtown, and consequently, much closer to the nightlife. If you've already booked at a higher rate at one of these hotels, we suggest calling the hotel and requesting one of the blocked rooms at the lower rate.  

Double Tree (525 W. Johnson St, 608-251-5511)

Online booking link: http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/M/MSNDTDT-TEC-20130301/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
Rate is $139 (one king or two doubles, as available) and includes one parking spot.

Sheraton (706 John Nolen Drive, 608-251-2300)

Online booking link: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/TecmoMadison

Rate is $89 (one king of two doubles, as available) and includes unlimited parking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel Info

Sheraton (706 John Nolen Drive, 608-251-2300)

Online booking link: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/TecmoMadison

Rate is $89 (one king of two doubles, as available) and includes unlimited parking.

Sweet. I saved $120.00 by switching from the Holiday Inn Express to the Sheraton for the weekend.