Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

I say pretty sure, because there *possibly* could have been some blacking out that occurred. 

I clearly witnessed you blacked out at The Plaza with a girl sitting on your lap while still wearing the sombrero.

I clearly witnessed you blacked out at The Plaza with a girl sitting on your lap while still wearing the sombrero.

Amazing sentence.  For the all the (good-natured) grief I was giving Orenga this weekend, it's only fitting that I stole his thunder as "that guy" at the Plaza this year.  Apparently the Tecmo Gangnam Style rendition was fabulous from what I've heard, so kudos to everyone involved in that.  I was there, but I wasn't.

As far as the tournament is concerned, wow has the talent level mushroomed.  I swept my group at TecmoVII, and now a couple years later, I just hope to be competitive.  When a guy like Matt Miller is your first opponent, you get a true sense for how accomplished the gaming base has become at this game.  Good work to all of you elite players, I am truly amazed by what you do with this game.

(7) Agree with Knobbe that Daboy was overdue for a deep tournament run. People that don’t attend have no idea how hard it is just to reach the Elite 8 in a field this talented, much less secure 3rd place.

Actually the same thing can be said of bgboud.

He's had quite a few real tough past losses and was knocked out of the last two Madisons by Mort and Regulator.

He was due for the Final 6 run and essentially won the Jensen bracket.

Congrats man

Walking from the Doubletree to the Plaza I looked up which way to go on my phone.  Despite this moulds decides we must ask for directions.

Two young coeds are walking towards us.

moulds: "HEY! Hey girls!  Do you know where the Plaza is?"

Girls: "The what?"

moulds: "Where's the Plaza, I'm from out of town."

Girls (now obviously weirded out): "Um we don't know.  Sorry." (quickly cross the street)

Me: "Dude, you were one more sentence away from being maced."

Walking from the Doubletree to the Plaza I looked up which way to go on my phone.  Despite this moulds decides we must ask for directions.

Two young coeds are walking towards us.

moulds: "HEY! Hey girls!  Do you know where the Plaza is?"

Girls: "The what?"

moulds: "Where's the Plaza, I'm from out of town."

Girls (now obviously weirded out): "Um we don't know.  Sorry." (quickly cross the street)

Me: "Dude, you were one more sentence away from being maced."

In hindsight, "hey girls" probably wasn't a great way to start the convo.  I'm sure the husky mid 30s drunk creeper in an Eric Moulds jersey isn't as hot as it sounds to the opposite sex.  

Put me down for a pre-order Wyman and Tonic shirt.

I hope to catch up with Dave soon and help him with some of the technical aspects of streaming for future tournaments. There are some things that can be done with the software he is using to encode the video that would be huge for the world of Tecmo Super Bowl.

I hope to catch up with Dave soon and help him with some of the technical aspects of streaming for future tournaments. There are some things that can be done with the software he is using to encode the video that would be huge for the world of Tecmo Super Bowl.

Are you the Wirecast beta guy?  If so loop me in as well as I did the last three tourneys

Moulds comment reminds me that when I met him he thought beforehand that I was a 20 something frat boy

I really did, I assumed you were some skateboard punk.  Not sure why either.  I also had DaBoy pictured as this huge guy and he's not at all.  It's funny the mental picture you get of someone before you meet them.  :)

Are you the Wirecast beta guy?  If so loop me in as well as I did the last three tourneys

Yes sir. I will keep you in the loop as well

You have been looped!

Congrats chet.  disappointment abounds for BIW.  i think i'm going to try monthly MN gatherings going forward to get back into game shape.  tecmos 2 thru 4 i was playing lights out... even 7 i was better than i am now.  being sick/ gout doesn't help, but bailey manhandled me with deion and his playcalling.  wish i could have lasted that round out so chet could have eliminated me!

nice meeting/ seeing everyone again.  regardless of how good i used to be, i think chet is definitely better than i was at the top of my game.  kyle (reg) is great too, wish i could have played him back in my heyday.  The other elite 8 dudes were pretty solid too from what I saw.  glad daboy did well after last year's disappointment.

Just an awesome, awesome time guys!  I told myself I wasn't going to write an extensive recap, but I couldn't help myself...

It all began Friday morning, bright and early.  Having went out for drinks with my wonderful wife, Megan, we didn't have a chance to take care of what I had intended to do on Thursday night.  So Friday morning, 7am, it was time for the clippers.  In an attempt to appease the Tecmo Gods, this had to take place...

950ee29b-5c64-476e-b4fe-53ee3ac49c6c_zps

It was then off to Toolie's house, which is just about 40 minutes away, and we were off to #TecmoIX.  We pulled into Madison at about 3pm central.  Toolie and I rocked out a handful of games in the hotel room, before arncoem's flight arrives.  We pick him up from the airport, and head back to the room for more.  Within about 90 minutes, Vogtcd, and MattyV arrive, and finally our roomy, Moulds, whose flight was delayed.  We pound a few Miller Light cans, and watch an epic PHX/DET showdown between the Vogt brothers, in which Chris gets the best of Matty with an awesome long ball, and move to juke out Matty, for the 10-8 thrilling victory at the horn!  Then it was off to meet up with the texting Rico (aka ryanr33fulcher), and everyone else at the Badger Bowl.

It was a night full of beers, good dudes, and very helpful significant others, along with a plethora of street Tecmo games.  76 of us get our early TecmoIX check-in out of the way, and pick up our awesome Mar1no Royal3 tee, created by, the one, the only - Child of Destiny.  Big ups to Orenga's GF Jaimie, for the "laces out" cookies, Josh's new bride, Erin for her awesome support, and assistance with everything that is Tecmo Madison, and to Chet's GF, who I unfortunately, didn't get a chance to meet.  Just an awesome night, to kick off the Tecmo IX festivities!  Moulds, Toolie and myself survive the every so often, driving through a red light on John Nolan Dr., rock out some more Tecmo, and call it a night.

Saturday morning.  Tecmo IX is officially upon us.  We get out early to get in a nice breakfast prior to kickoff.  Even the frigid single digit weather, and the sidewalk icebergs, in which wouldn't allow us to open car doors - could not stop us.  We met a very, very friendly UW mother from L.A. and had a terrific breakfast at the Sunroom Cafe on State Street, before heading off to Badger Bowl.

Triple fisting to start the day.  Coffee, water, and of course, Bloody and it's TECMO TIME!

GROUP PLAY (Group E)

Outside of the length of time in between games for the group '1 seeds' (roughly an hr in between), I absolutely love the new format!  The only suggestion I'd make, if we were to go this route again, would be to even out the groups, talent wise, as was done, but to just randomly draw all the seeds, to break it up and to allow the ability to actually go watch the other 1 seeds, considering we were all the kickoff games, and playing at the same time.  But again - loved the new format!  I think the pros definitely outweighed the cons!

Onto the games...

1.  Damion B. - He calls a WAS/MIN matchup.  This one is a real coin flip for me.  Great call Damion.  But I have to take one of them.  I take the more balanced offense in Washington, and win the contest, 31-10.

2.  Joe V. - I call a PIT/PHX matchup.  I had always loved PHX.  However, the bad taste of my Elite 8 loss at Tecmo VII, to eventual champ Jimmy B. still remains.  With that said, still a solid team I like to use, in addition to my recent adoption of a Pittsburgh club, I always used to loathe.  Joe takes the Cards.  Woodson is able to dominate Rosy, 35-7.

3.  Todd D. (immimortl).  The group #2 seed, and IMO, truly the guy I had to worry about.  My pre-tourney studies unveiled that Todd was my first official signup for Tecmo Chicago, back in October 2010, and a seemingly weakness playing with the Bengals.  Todd had just beaten up one of our group mates with Miami, so why not throw a CIN/MIA matchup out there.  Todd immediately proclaims, "I hate this matchup!"  I let him know, I was guessing that was the case.  I'm able to take advantage of a highly called pass defense, and grind out an early lead.  Todd's comeback efforts fall a score short, and knock him into the losers bracket, 21-14.  Paul H. went onto upset Todd D. in the losers bracket, to advance to the single elimination round of 56 portion of the tournament.

Toolie gets 4 Al Del Greco FGs, and plays some stellar defense winning his group final over Dotdon.  After losing to QB Browns, in his group final, Moulds ends up earning the runner-up spot winning his loser bracket in group play.  The “509”, our Doubletree room number, and self-proclaimed temporary nickname, all crack the field of 56.

tooliedotdongroupmfinal_zps11368611.jpg

Round 1 (56) - Single Elimination:

My 55 pt. differential in 3 games, gets me just a 7 seed in the very difficult Mark Clayton Region.  I square off with 10 seeded and upset minded Matt N.  I call a CIN/DET matchup.  He gives it some time, debating the selection.  He asks, where are you from?  Me, donning the ODELL 42 Lions jersey, pointing to my attire, proclaim, "Detroit!"  As you can imagine, he guesses I'm good with Detroit, and hints at my attempt of deception.  He takes Detroit, and I the Bengals.  I am able to shut down Barry, while Boomer plays flawless, in a 17-3 victory.

Our boy Moulds had a tough draw, of a J.Bailey (aka QB Browns) who was playing some great ball.  Travis had lost a PHI/BUF matchup to Bailey in group play already, and unfortunately dropped a solid ATL/NO ball game, and a 1st round exit in his virgin Madison experience.  Bailey did go onto lose to eventual champ Chet in the Sweet 16.

a83663f6-9895-4ea3-8d8b-13c22417c5db_zps

Ones 11fahzu, behind much help from the Tecmo gods, had an amazing late, 2 score comeback to earn the runner up spot in his group, and drew the top runner up, #9 seed.  However, his help from the gods were taken away, as he was nipped by 8 seeded James K. in the opening round.

6 seeded Matt Diaz also is upset by 11 seeded Justin G.

Round 2 (32): - Single Elimination:

Of course, who do I play in the round of 32?  That same guy Toolie and I picked up from the airport.  That same guy that I've had numerous epic battles with, in many online leagues, including the 2006 WTF championship.  One:  Erik Merliss, aka arncoem.

He calls a NE/IND matchup.  What a dick.  I take the Pats, as I just feel they are the better team, without the Colts having anyone defensively.

Key 3rd down on the opening drive, Wilson hits Fryar long to open the scoring.  Merliss fumbles the KO, but recovers.  First play from scrimmage, Bentley fumbles and the Pats pounce on it.  However, I am unable to take advantage, as Marc Wilson throws a pick, inside the red zone.

Despite the early misfortune, Merliss seemingly evened out the breaks late.  I got Grogan into 'exc', while he got both Jeff George and RB Anthony Johnson into 'exc'.  George was able to fire it into Lippett coverage on couple of occasions w/out having to pay for it.  

Merliss certainly controlled much of the game, and the clock, churning out drives and first downs.  But I was able to get a key stop inside my 10 near the end of the 3rd.  ...Lead 14-7 with a minute to play.

Colts lead an inspired drive, inside the Pats 25 with just about a minute and change to play.  Merliss calls a pass 2, offset I.  I man up, DB3 Marion.  Merliss tries to arrow trick me into covering the RB1 in the middle of the field.  However, unfooled, I stick to the bigger threat, WR Hester up top.  Hester is able to CC me, to tie this one up with under a minute to play.  OVERTIME.  Toolie comes in and informs me of his unfortunate Round of 32 loss to someone named Jeff B.  Who??  (more later on Jeff)  He also coins in and says, you don't want to win this coin toss.  I chuckle, and respond, you're right - I don't!  Of course, I win the toss.

The game was such a fatiguing, grueling ball game. fighting for every single yard w/these two garbage teams.  I say F it, I've got the advantage at TE and receiving options in general, with no one out there defensively. I'm going long no matter what on 1st down.  He calls run.  Everyone is wide open.  At the last second, I decide to check it down.  The 'exc' Grogan mis-throws to the stopped RB2 on pass 1 R/S.  Picked off!  Anthony Johnson rumbles in from 4 yards out a few plays later.

It was truly a great game!

Roundof32ODELLvMERLISS_zps18ce8e06.jpg

I was saddened to hear of our entire contingent’s demise in the Round of 32.  Vogtcd losing on 3; Kosar CC/divers to Kyle B.; Toolie's draw of an AWESOME Jeff B, not taking advantage of an early 14 pt lead, and the missing of not one, but two Leahy FGs (block, miss).  Other knockouts included, sobhi, skunker, matty vogt, 1 seeded troy hansen, rico, tecmopsycho, avgtsbplayer.  Some BIG names in Tecmo! 

Sweet 16 – Single Elimination:

1 Chet defeats 4 QB Browns

3 Joe N. defeats 2 Arncoem

5 Jeff B. defeats 9 Jay H

2 daboy defeats 11 Kyle B.

4 Mort defeats upset minded 8 seeded Seth B., who had just taken out 1 seeded Troy H.

3 Regulator defeats 2 Kevin M.

4 bgboud defeats 9 Matt B.

3 Lucas S. defeats 2 son of pat beach (Josh H.) after upsetting 4 MattyV in Rd. of 32

Elite 8 – Double Elimination:

I had the fortune of sitting in with Dave Murray and Chris Vogt on the Championship rounds, twitch.tv broadcast/live stream of the game.  F’ing awesome time sitting in on the broadcast with you guys!

There was so much going on, an unbelievable decibel level, and aided by the help of wheat, barley, and malted hops – in addition to taking video, tweeting, facebooking, and trying report on as much of the action as I could.  In hindsight, with an upwards of 200 people watching the stream live, I will probably save the tweets, and video posting for post-weekend, and attempt to capture as much of the magnificent championship round play as I can.  Or F that - I WANT TO BE IN IT!  Onto the games…

Winners Bracket  Round 1:

Jeff B. gets out to early 21-0 lead, and takes down Daboy 42-21, SD over MIA

Chet wins a defensive slugfest over Joe N., 7-5 DEN over PIT

Bgboud/CIN defeats Lucas S/WAS, 14-10

Regulator comes back from 13-0 deficit to Mort, winning 14-13, NYJ over DAL.

Round 2:

Chet survives a Lansford long FG miss coming up just short over Jeff B., 24-21, WAS over RAM

Regulator takes down Bgboud, 24-7, RAI over CHI

Round 3:

Regulator temporarily avenges Tecmo VIII defeat to Chet with 21-6 victory, MIA over KC

Losers bracket:

Daboy knocks out Joe N, 28-3, RAI over CHI

Mort knocks out Lucas S, 14-10, SD over DET

Daboy knocks out Bgboud, 21-7, KC over MIA

Jeff B. knocks out Mort, 14-10, SD over DET

Daboy gets a goal line stand to knock out the very impressive Madison virgin Jeff B., 10-3, GB over NO

Chet’s trails 14-0 with seconds to play 1st half, however the epic Ironhead kick return TD not only swings the momentum, but changes the landscape of the entire tournament!  Chet goes onto defeat Daboy, 20-14, NO over CLE.  Without that kick return, we are probably crowning a new champion.

Championship Round:

IMG_0500_zpsa745d2ba.jpg

Chet 1L gets out to early 9-0, but Regulator comes right back, taking a 14-12 lead into the half.  However, Chet is just too much in 2nd half, and gets even with Regulator 0L, and runs away with game 1, 33-14, KC over DET.

It’s hard to say we’ve never seen this guy play better, but my goodness was Chet brilliant in the Tecmo IX Final.  Boomer plays an amazing game, with beautiful precision, dismantling and demoralizing Regulator, 28-17, CIN over DET to win back to back Madison titles!

Some of us in the online community, commonly referred to as, "Online Garbage" stopped to take a quick photo.  We somehow missed a few guys, Moulds, Rico, Merliss among others, and can't wait til next year when the Godfather and Nick C. make their return, and Kamphuna makes his Madison debut ...

onlinegarbagetourneypic_zpsf749090e.jpg

Conclusion of Madison IX, at the Plaza, and other final tidbits:

A theme of Tecmo Madison has always been an attempt of reaching back to the tournaments original roots.  The Plaza Tavern played host to the first 5 Tecmo Madison tournaments, and it’s always a staple, to celebrate post-Tecmo Madison in this house.

Displaying the effects of $2.50 domestic bottles, which included Leineys, and Shiner - an unforgettable night ensued.  #eatshitorenga, Louis B, and Leonardite’s O.N.S. vied for the title of most intoxicated.  Leonardite was a close runner up to the 3, losing his iPhone at some point.  Did we ever get that found!?

IMG_0516_zps4dd8d7ea.jpg

Disappointing was the absence, and disappearing act of QB Browns, and Arncoem.  But soooooo AWESOME meeting and getting to know everyone at the tourney, and the Plaza that night, including, in no particular order, Dave Murray, Lodgefather, ButtDouglas, Kevin from Columbus, Beef Juice, dude w/the Pats loser tee from NY whose name escapes me, Hoigaard, Coconuts, the COD, Jeff B, Lucas S, Erin,  the Tecmo Gangnam Style, Jaimie, and eatshitorenga, Frolf’s 8bit Vikings helmet, and lastly Flo’s drunken posse at Ian’s Pizza, which btw, DID live up to expectation, as did the line of 2:30am, alcohol induced zombie co-eds.

Epic time!  An amazing tournament yet again.  I cannot say enough.  Thank you so very much to everyone involved in the tournament setup, the COD, Erin, Jaimie, Josh’s GF, Kyle (?, the official tourney scorer), QB Browns, avgtsbplayer, Josh, Chet, Badger Bowl,  and anyone that I may have missed! 

Follow me on twitter, where I have several videos uploaded @tecmodell42   Cannot wait until #TECMO X!

Edited by brodell

oh yea, jeans n black hoodie

to take it a lil farther, i had on my man of steel superman underwear on

LIKE A PIMP

It was great meeting you and talking hip hop. Man, this tournament was awesome.

It was great meeting you and talking hip hop. Man, this tournament was awesome.

was very nice meeting you. very cool of you to show the online world all those games, much props for that (although the twitch channel doesnt work for me)

i wish i had your friday night hoodie on instead of my black hoodie for extra good luck

Ryan, such a great recap man!  Really enjoyed it.  Kudos!  I will leave everyone with an excerpt, better yet TWO! 

“Super Tecmo Bowl? I love that game!” (No you don’t, because that game doesn’t exist. Tecmo Super Bowl, however, does exist and it is the best.)

“Techmo Super Bowl was my favorite game!” (Such a favorite that you can’t spell Tecmo? Got it.)

Many years ago, I had a regular crew of guys I played with. We were very, very good at TSB. One day another friend happened to join us and saw us playing. He made the incorrect statement, “Hey, I’m pretty good at this, can I get winner?” No. To earn the right to play the winner (eventually, me), he would have to play the loser first. A “gatekeeper” before you reach the “throne,” if you will. Someone to weed out the riff-raff, put them in their place and make sure they knew what they were getting into asking for a game against the throne. The new guy was down 35-0 at half. Demoralized. He didn’t make it past the gatekeeper.

I stand here in 2013 no longer on the throne, or near it. I’m now a gatekeeper. And I’m ok with that.

Interesting...I am also "getting old" and not sure if cling to slim hopes of making a better run or being a "gatekeeper". At least I play enough online to stay sharp, having the trade off of messing up timing a little on console/old tv.

Pretty sure the bathroom incident with Dave Murray, Orenga, Butt Douglas, and me will go down infamy somewhere.  For those not privy to the details, I'd encourage you to get really weird with your imagination.

P.S. I found out about that incident the next day when I checked my phone. Yep, I have a good photo.